Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

HELP me figure out what I'm worth & where to go from here

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:35 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP me figure out what I'm worth & where to go from here

some of you guys just dont get it nvm

Last edited by __Z__; 05-04-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 PM

nice skillset. im sure you will find a job. where do you live? have you ever thought about moving for a job?

if you lived in Washington you could work at Boeing or one of the many contractor companies that serve in the aviation field.

man your skillset would be perfect for the internship i attend in korea. all they do is CAD.

Z go into aviation engineering.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:04 PM

not sure what you should be making, but 12 seems low.

i definitely feel ya, i'm in the same boat. way underpaid, way under the poverty line, and looking for something better.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:29 PM

I see. well family always come first anyways. but in all honesty I am positive that you could attain a job at Boeing. Many of my friends have jobs at Boeing and they had zero experience. couldn't make a picture frame if their life depended on it...
Now, Boeing pays for their schooling and such. mind you it is not like you are an engineer on the first day...but you gotta work your *** off to get to the top. i assume you do not mind this.

I know of CAT of course, but I have no idea where their employment conditions are. Good luck Z.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by __Z__
I may apply there I just hate being a #
I felt the same way, I went from being an individual at a small school to an employee at a federal agency. In the end, Psyching myself out was alot worse than it actually was working. You may have a number, but in the end you're a person, working with other people, many of whom have the same fear about being a number that you do. You build friendships and relationships just like you do at a smaller workplace.

In the end, it's worth a try. You may hate it, and then you leave, or you may decide it's not so bad, and that it's worth the insurance for your family and the pay bonus. You'll never know if you don't try.

And, in the end, from the way you put your situation now, could a new situation be worse?

Old 05-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its hard to get back to school with a kid but if you could even do nights or weekends it might take longer but it will give you a little extra on the resume and maybe if you found a new job and worked for a bit less then they would pay someone with a degree (but more then you get now) and do the same quality of work as everyone else they might help cover tuition costs?

I have a college electrical engineering degree and I get $28/hr for CAD and design.
I design and install heated driveway and roof systems and heating for pipelines.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its much harder with a kid. I had mine 2 months after I graduated and I have so many loans and tution payments and stupid stuff from when I was in college that just eats my paychecks.

Remember to look outside the box as 3 of our 15 employees here are mechanical engineers and we do mostly electrical.

When you know CAD it doesn't matter what you have to draw really as long as you can do it and do it fast.

Good luck though, (I put out over 200 resumes in less then 2 months when I graduated because I had my daughter coming).

Just pump them out there and hopefully good things will come your way

Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM

You need to finish up that associates degree man. I know its probably hard but that will really give you a leg up. Right now you only have a HS Diploma. The Associates will set you apart from that crowd at least.

I'd make that priority one. Are you still only 2 classes away? You could night class that easy. Just having that piece of paper will give more money in any job you end up switching to.
EDIT: Just noticed that afternoon class only.

Well walking away from $12 an hour isn't that hard - find something / ANYTHING that will allow you to take those 2 classes and then restart your search.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:36 PM

I don't know about how much your worth but I'd be willing to bet you can sit down with your employer and either get some flexibility or a raise if you explain your situation to them. And if they say no then your already just a number to them and you have nothing to lose by applying to CAT. I have heard CAT is a great employer so no loss there.

Obviously something has to change for you but for that to happen you have to do something. At least to start you should if you haven't yet made a career builder acct and search for jobs in your area and job description. You already have what a lot of new college grads lack Practical Work Experience.

Good luck and wish you the best which ever route you choose