Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Guitar Chords that piss me off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Guitar Chords that **** me off.

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

Fly,
I luvs talking music and instruments!!! Okay, sounding good (tone), is a life long quest in my opinion. I am ALWAYS trying to improve my tone and that is done several ways:

1) Guitar pick-ups...not only single coil, humbuckers, active, and passive, but who makes the pick-up. The drag about pick-ups is you can't hear how they sound in your guitar until after they are in.

2) Amp...please use a tube amp. They rule. You can get modeling amps with the effects in them, but they are un-natural sounding to my ears, unless you like that processed kind of sound. Also, how you adjust your EQ on the amp is very important and changes depending on the room you are playing in. Every place sounds different and you have to make minor adjustments. My out of the box setting for my '59 Bassman reissue is LOW: 4 (out of 12), MIDS: 3-5 (lots of mids sound like **** to me), HIGHS: 4.

3) Guitar...guitars are made out of various *tonewoods*. Alder, Ash, Korina, and my personal favorite Swamp Ash, to name a few. They all have different tonal charactaristics. I've found a cheap guitar sounds cheap and a good guitar sounds good. You would be surprised at how much guitar you can get for your money if you order from Warmoth and have a local guy put the guitar together for you. Just a thought, but a lot of research.

4) Strings...swear to Baby Jesus this makes a huge difference. I play 11 gague strings and they sound rich and good. SRV played 13 gague strings...and his tone is legendary. It is rumored that he would tear up his finger tips so badly that he would put superglue on them, adheer them to his forearm, and rip away. Tuning down 1/2 step also makes the tone really warm and rich.

5) To answer the question...Effects...so many options! I like an Ibanez Tube Screamer or a Boss Overdrive pedal modded by the Analog Man (use Google). You have to crank the amp to get a good distortion tone with those pedals however, and livingroom level isn't as good. I like using delay (also Boss), and am currently lookig for a Voodoo Lab tremolo pedal. Wah pedal is a must...I have an Ibanez Sceamin Deamon that is okay, but Crybaby's are popular, and I have heard the Steve Vai Bad Horsie by Morley is killer. I think Phase Shifter, Flanger, and Chorus pedals are stupid and a waste of money. You can also get one of those modeling multi-effect set ups by POD or something by BOSS/Roland. Not my cup of tea, but you have limitless options with those.

Sorry for such a long post. I am very passionate about gear. I think you should think of your favorite guitar players, and research what they use. Then, go to Guitar Center (I hate that place), and plug into everything you can until something sounds good to you. Keep in mind, though, the best way to get better at playing is to practice without any effects. Good luck bro, and feel free to ask about gear anytime.
1) I hate the sound near the bridge. I like my string sounds high. Rarely do I venture down there towards the bridge.

2) Wouldn't use anything other than a tube amp. Reverb FTW. MMMM. I've been eyeballing the Fender HotRod DeVille 4x10 for the past year or two.

3) I'm thinking about a clapton or beck signature. I hate rosewood fretboards though.

4) 13 gague is insane. I never liked the 11's because I can hardly bend em as much as the 9's. .I LOVE 1/2 step down-tunage. The strings feel much better, and it makes singing a little bit easier to the basic chords.

5) I'll do some shopping around. Plan on doing a lot of research of FX junk before i commit. One of our guitarists in my old band had a voice box. Peter (******) Frapton was all that was good for... although it was pretty cool to use.

I do own a couple of cheap guitars. An old Strat that i've had for 15 years, and a Strato-Coustic. I only own a tiny little fender amp, and desperately need to upgrade my ****.

Don't get me wrong, I have tons of gear for my bass guitar, but nothing cool in the 6 string world. Time to change that.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Retired Super Moderator

I absolutely love my Randall MTS. 4 tube 100watt power, and enough preamp modules to make your head spin. I'm currently running:

Channel 1 : Randall Clean
Channel 2 : "Plexi"
Channel 3 : "Recto"

Runnin through my 4x12 hughes & kettner cab. Got a cry-baby wah and talk-box for fun.

Here's a pic of my baby!

Name:  PC120005.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  43.3 KB
Name:  P8130006.jpg
Size:  12.8 KB

My love is my Yamaha RGX deathbird.......that i attacked with a blowtorch! I also replaced the EQ-bypass (hot) switch with a mute switch....

Name:  PC120008.jpg
Size:  50.5 KB

And for acoustic days, i got my 1977 Takamine dreadnought with a Martin Thinline gold pickup.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:43 PM

I've got a peavy combo 115 black widow

it will make your eyeballs vibrate inside of you head. seriously - the thing gives me vertigo

Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Retired Moderator

I've got the '59 Bassman Reissue and the 4x10 Hotrod Deville you were thinking about, Fly. I say get it...but the amp distortion BLOWS!!! Make sure to use outboard pedals for your distortion if you get it.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:15 PM

Yeah my roommate in college had the DeVille. The distortion, i always thought, sounded like poop, but he didn't have a pedal for it. He was big into SRV, and he could duplicate almost exactly a lot of his stuff. Nice rich, thick tone. I've always liked the sound of the deville.

Think That's going to be my next purchase.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know too many split chords. I just play for my own enjoyment and can hit most chords decently (no ... not B[:-]). Got the el-cheapo Squire Stratocaster with aftermarket double humbuck and a Silvertone PSAP1. Neither makes me sound worth a **** til I got 6 beers in my belly Peavey 110 amp ... shakes the basement. What more do ya need?