Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

First ride on the freeway, WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First ride on the freeway, WOW!

i took one in N.C. when i lived there, it was very helpfull, as for riding with plugs, i'd give it a bit, you need to be able to hear every thing around you right now, i ride withmy ipod nowbut it took a few months (as with every one else here it seems). riding with guys with more exp then you is a GREAT idea, they will have alot of tricks that are hard to learn by your self. try to ride with groups as much as you can, there is safty in numbers, just stay with in your limits and you should be fine man, ride safe and have fun.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:33 PM

thanks, yeah i'm big into cars and have learned alot of the time its better to act like a sponge and absorb as much information as you can from others with more experience and wisdom than to "figure it out" on your own

Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember in the mornings, everyones in a hurry for work & most of em are still half asleep & pissed off about going to work, so someone on bike that looks like their enjoying themselves, make an easy target. Regular commutters become very blas'e & insular in their little tin boxes, so ride like their all out to get you. Don't tailgate, leave lots off room. Don't fall into the trap of speeding up because some young exec in a beemer is 2 inches off your rear tyre & you end up doing the same thing to the guy in front, just move out of the way.
Save your hearing & get ear plugs

Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 AM

thanks, yeah i mapped out a surface street route to work and got here in EXACTLY the same time, yet its more scenic so i'm stoked to avoid freeway traffic

Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 AM

You get used to the wind noise... I don't wear earplugs because I'm afraid I wont be able to hear sirens or horns. If my broke *** ever gets around to buying an Ipod, I would probably only wear one earbud for the same reason.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Retired Moderator

The first few times I went on the super slab, I was pretyy uncomfortable. The wind coming off the back of the semis, the discomfort in my hands as I squeezed the life out of my grips, etc. I went from one exit to the next a few times to get more comfortable (baby steps), and now it is second nature like it will be with you eventually. Congrats and good luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 AM

I rode into work today and took the freeway the whole way-it sucked due to a few accidents and was a slow ride. I always try to stay away from the big trucks. As soon as I can Idown shift and blast past them then slow back down just to get away for the wind and chance of something hitting he. Street riding is like a war in a way-there is aways something out there to kill you like the Final Destination movies-you have to out smart it most of the time. Like today I noticed a small pick up truck that had a long section of house gutter hanging out of the bed. I thought to myself that would suck if it comes out of there and hit me or falls across the road soI got away from that truck ASAP!

I know here in Ohio you are not legal to ride on the freeways till you have your endorsment so if you just have temps then you can get a ticket if you get cought on the freeway, riding after dark, riding a passenger or with out a helmet. For the first year of your endorsment you still have to use a helmet, but I will always use a helmet.

Like I said just take in slow and don't ride outside of your skills and even once you think you have skill-they are not as great as you think so remember that.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

...there is aways something out there to kill you like the Final Destination movies...
Thats so funny. I was thinking the same thing on Sunday.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:39 PM

My first trips on the highway were on Sunday and Saturday early mornings when no traffic around and even then it's odd. Now I get on but no way if it's even close to a windy day. Gonna have to rid today on the highway for a while but the flow is pretty good. Worst thing about the highway is that the air coming off the cars in front of you push you all sorts of directions. Total PIA on your head and neck.

My helmet does a good job of keeping things quiet though. I have an HJC AC11 and unless you have the visor cracked it's very quiet. Will probably get some music soon but only use one earbud as I need to hear what is going on.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: CBRCRF

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

...there is aways something out there to kill you like the Final Destination movies...
Thats so funny. I was thinking the same thing on Sunday.
It's true! everything is out to get you and it's your job to stay ahead of it all. Riding is fun, but it's also survival at times. In a way it keep the blood flowing and makes you feel alive. No better feeling then getting home at the end of a ride and knowing you and your bike are just fine.