Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

First ride on the freeway, WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ride on the freeway, WOW!

Oh man, took my first ride on the freeway today going into work. My god, theres so much wind noise in my helmet, I think im going to buy ear plugs. Anyone else ride with plugs? I'm a new rider and still picking up odds and ends for the bike and my daily gear. I got a tank protector, shogun sliders and reflective wheel tape for the bike yesterday and a mirror visor for my helmet.

Its a Arai Corsair RX-7. My buddies all ride with headphones but ive only been riding for like a week and a half and def. dont think they are a good idea just yet.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Default RE: First ride on the freeway, WOW!

Yeah a lot of people wear plugs. My stock exhaust isn't loud at all and suprisingly my HJC AC-12 drowns out wind noise very well.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Banned

Good deal man...I've been riding the freeway to work for about a year on my bike, and I love it. Just watch it in the morning...You're gonna be dealing with groggy people drinking coffee, making business calls, putting on make-up....even reading newspapers. Treat every car as a hunk of metal that wants your blood out there. As far as the plugs go, I like to hook up the iPod for the ride. Some riders are against that, but so be it.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:40 PM

Yea I have a Shoei RF1000 and an Arai RX7 and I think my RF1000 is noticeably quieter than the RX7 and it sucks. I want to sell them both and buy an X Eleven! =D The RF1000 fits with my helmet speakers REALLY well but from the looks of it nothing will fit in the RX7. =/ I've never used ear plugs but you'll just get used to it and after a while you won't even hear it anymore.

Mike

Old 04-21-2008, 03:42 PM

ear plugs are good...i didnt start using the ipod until i had a few months under my belt and felt comfortable...but even with the ipod i can hear most of what goes on around me

Old 04-21-2008, 03:44 PM

Yeah I'm still not comfortable enough to be riding with music yet, but I look forward to it because that would be the ****.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 PM

Not to be a dick, but maybe it's not a good idea for you to be on the freeway at all with only riding a week and a half. I did not get on the free way for like two months and I stil stay off in it if it's real windy out. I like the freeway now, but it's no joke at rushhour. I ride with earbuds in sometime just so I have tunes, but you have to be on your game a bit more when doing so.

Like i said i'm not being a dick-I just want you to live to ride for many more years to come. Take it slow and easy and the skill will come. I learn something new about riding almost every time I go out on the bike and that's alot.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

Not to be a dick, but maybe it's not a good idea for you to be on the freeway at all with only riding a week and a half. I did not get on the free way for like two months and I stil stay off in it if it's real windy out. I like the freeway now, but it's no joke at rushhour. I ride with earbuds in sometime just so I have tunes, but you have to be on your game a bit more when doing so.

Like i said i'm not being a dick-I just want you to live to ride for many more years to come. Take it slow and easy and the skill will come. I learn something new about riding almost every time I go out on the bike and that's alot.
+99 I was thinking that and kept my mouth shut...but very valid point. I waited about 6 months before I ventured on the freeway, cause you truly do have to be on the ball...and it wasn't for another few months that I got music in the mix. If I don't get enough sleep the night before, I know my reaction time and awareness will be down, so I drive my car. A week and a half is not NEARLY enough time to learn even the basics of evasive maneuvering and good defensive biking skills. Please be safe bro.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:55 PM

thanks for the tips. im riding as much as i can and with more experienced responsible riders as often as i can. My buddy has an R1 and he showed me how to take turns and look through them and my dads friend has an aprilia 1000 and he's going to take me out this weekend to ride with him.

I am avoiding the freeway as much as i can and just google earthed a alternate route home along surface streets. its going to take a hell of a lot longer but i'll be more comfortable going that way so

Also, i'm a student and wear my backpack when i ride. Any suggestions as to a good riding backpack that could hold my books and helmet when im walking around? Pref something that has a waist strap to take some weight off my shoulders when i ride. thanks!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Domin8

thanks for the tips. im riding as much as i can and with more experienced responsible riders as often as i can. My buddy has an R1 and he showed me how to take turns and look through them and my dads friend has an aprilia 1000 and he's going to take me out this weekend to ride with him.

I am avoiding the freeway as much as i can and just google earthed a alternate route home along surface streets. its going to take a hell of a lot longer but i'll be more comfortable going that way so

Also, i'm a student and wear my backpack when i ride. Any suggestions as to a good riding backpack that could hold my books and helmet when im walking around? Pref something that has a waist strap to take some weight off my shoulders when i ride. thanks!
I ride with a Fox backpack I found at a Honda dealership.....It has a chest strap and is very comfortable to ride with. I can't find a link though, cause I think it's an outdated backpack model.

Quick Reply: First ride on the freeway, WOW!