Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The Final Salute

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Final Salute

I don't have really anything I can say about this.....just left me speechless and wanting to share.

The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of "Cat," and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted."

http://digitaljournalist.org/issue06...lsalute18.html

Old 01-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Final Salute

Wowzers...I don't know what I would do if I lost my wife. Mourning is very different for everybody...

Old 01-17-2008, 08:35 PM

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]Wow! What a story. Dont even know how to respond. That must berough.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:52 PM

Wow I am 100% sure i would fall to pieces if i lost my girl. Couldn't say what it would involve but, everytime i get depressed i end up back in the bottle. If that happened i probobly wouldn't come out of it.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 PM

My two cents...

At this past Christmas, went by my grandmother's and took her to the cemetary where her husband, my grandfather died this past
year.

He was a Marine in the Pacific Theater in WWII.

She wanted to plant some flowers, so I helped her dig the little hole, and then let her place the flowers by his headstone.

It was about the sweetest, most sad thing I have ever seen. You could just feel, love and loss in the air, see it in her every
move, placing the flowers carefully until they were just so.

For Christmas I gave her a Flag Display Case which she keeps by his side of the bedroom, or sometimes in the living room where
they used to sit and talk.

Anyway, that's all...

Old 01-18-2008, 10:12 AM

i saw that in a chain mail about 2 years ago, but man it sure in a moving picture thats for sure.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definately a moving picture/story.

i remember 2yrs ago when my grandfather passed away. he was a ww2 vet. and had a military burial. i was 21yrs old. my father gave up his spot as pole bearer and asked if i'd like to be by my grandfathers side. i had a very close relationship to him and it meant alot for my father to let me take his place as pole bearer. i will say that i have NEVER ONCE IN MY LIFE seen any of my unlces cry.......not ONCE. as we lifted the casket and carried it to the car, i dont think there wasa single dry eye.

sorry to thread jack. just remembering......

military funerals are EXTREMELY touching. the hardest part was watching my grandmother trying to keep herself together, and she did ok until the soldiers folded the flag and handed it to her. that was the hardest thing to have to watch, she absolutely fell apart as they handed her the flag.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:14 PM

I was Commander of a LEO Honor Guard, and we would do the Watch 24/7 (standing at the casket, absolutely motionless for 20 minute shifts), the burial,the slow salutes, the gun salutes, playing of taps, Amazing Grace on the bagpipes, and the final honor, the folding of the flag.

I was the one that had to hand the US flag to the wife or mother of the fallen officer and say a few words. It was very draining,both physically and emotionally. Did it for about 5 years, never want to do itagain, and would never trade the experience for anything in the world. You have a new appreciation for our flag and for those who have died protecting the ideals of our country.