Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Fatherhood and Riding...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffin
Judging from this post, I think he not only kept it, he moved up to a 1000RR,

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/my-new-1000rr-finally-73103/

As for me, my kids are 19 now. I had my 1000F mothballed from the time they were 4 until they were 17. I just didn't find the time to ride that often, preferring to spend all my time with them.
This is exactly why i ride to work (when its sunny) worst case, at least ill be able to get some seat time in Im sure this summer ill want to spend time w my girl lol

Old 01-30-2009, 07:46 PM

My dad gave up riding after he got married. When I was in highschool he started riding again for the first time in over 20 years. I've never seen him so happy about any other thing in life besides his family. My mom now rides too. My I think my dad really enjoyed teaching me to ride as well. He was my best guidance when I was starting and he still is the voice in the back of my head reminding to understand the potential consequences of my decisions (a good lesson beyond motorcycling). Many of my best times with him have been related to motorcycles. Before you sell a bike because of a child, consider how it can bring joy not only to your own life, but to your children as well someday.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:37 PM

It's like anything else in life.Make sure your family is taken care of.That being said don't deprive yourself of something you love just because you think it will make you safer.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:31 AM

I quit riding for about 20 years, mostly due to my inability to control myself on a bike, I was as bad about speed and power as any heroin addict, and had a driving record that stretched from as high as I could reach all the way to the floor, and then some. Now I ride a CBR600F2, and I've only gotten two speeding tickets in almost a year of riding. I've changed my habits a lot, and I wear most of the the gear, (heavy jeans instead of leather pants though),ATGATT. I'm teaching my grandsons to ride as well, and they know they don't ride without a helmet, long sleeve shirt and jacket, and shoes. Right now they are just starting out on pocket bikes that only do about 20 or less, but they will have ALL the gear before they go any faster. Buying my oldest grandson that X1 bike for Christmas and helping him learn to ride has made us MUCH closer, and I guarantee that will work to both our advantages in the future as he gets older.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:29 PM

I say you'll do fine as long as you're smart. I stand firm on the "everything happens for a reason" perspective.

Sure something COULD happen that's not your fault, a drunk driver, or otherwise mentally challenged driver, could run a stop light, but you run that risk everywhere.

You can only control yourself, what others do is their choice and those choices are uncontrollable and unpredictable.

It all comes down to your choice (which has probably been said, I didn't feel like reading all the responses). I know for me, I won't be selling my bike (under any circumstances, save financial) unless a drastic chemical change occurs in my brain, I love it too much. My dad used to ride, and now that I ride I cant tell you how much I wish I could ride with him

Old 02-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ruthless
I have 3 kids.....and they come first. I ride when I can, and yes it's a risk you take (father or no father). Having children just slows you down a bit and makes you more aware of things around you (Riding or not).

I love my bike and it's one thing I really love to do (My wife and kids understand this) besides being with my family. Just be extra cautious. It's really cool your GF supports you keepin it. I would follow her lead on this one.

By the way congrats on your soon to be lil girl. Who knows she could be your future riding partner, hope my kids are mine.

Exactly!

Old 02-05-2009, 05:14 AM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Ruthless
I have 3 kids.....and they come first. I ride when I can, and yes it's a risk you take (father or no father). Having children just slows you down a bit and makes you more aware of things around you (Riding or not).

I love my bike and it's one thing I really love to do (My wife and kids understand this) besides being with my family. Just be extra cautious. It's really cool your GF supports you keepin it. I would follow her lead on this one.

By the way congrats on your soon to be lil girl. Who knows she could be your future riding partner, hope my kids are mine.
I only have one kid, but I feel exactly the same way.