Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Fatherhood and Riding...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatherhood and Riding...

Hey all, just wanted to get some input from some fathers or soon to be fathers. My GF is pregnant with a girl and is due in October. Ever since I found out its really made me think of how my life is going to change, and how I'm living for something much more important than myself. For awhile I seriously considered selling my 600rr because I kept thinking of how I could be out riding, something could happen in a split second (knocks on wood), and my little girl would grow up without a father. My girlfriend, bless her heart, got on my case as soon as she heard of my idea of selling the bike. "I seethat look in your eyes when we're driving and some bikes flash by, you look like a little boy that wants to go out and play. There's no way I'm going to try and talk you into sell your bike or even let you think of it. Besides, a few times during the winter, when you couldnt ride you were a real *******. There's no way I'm dealing with that."

I appreciate her support but it is something that's still in the back of my mind from time to time. I do feel that if I sold it I would regret it forever. My bike is like a second child to me.

Has anyone here gone through this? What did you end up doing/deciding?

Old 06-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Default RE: Fatherhood and Riding...

well I haven't been through it myself but I know a lot of people that have dealt with it and it seems like the ones that make riding part of their family are much much happier than those who give it up entirely

I vote keep riding and get that kid on a fiddy as soon as she can stand upon her on lol

Old 06-26-2007, 01:22 PM

I have 3 kids.....and they come first. I ride when I can, and yes it's a risk you take (father or no father). Having children just slows you down a bit and makes you more aware of things around you (Riding or not).

I love my bike and it's one thing I really love to do (My wife and kids understand this) besides being with my family. Just be extra cautious. It's really cool your GF supports you keepin it. I would follow her lead on this one.

By the way congrats on your soon to be lil girl. Who knows she could be your future riding partner, hope my kids are mine.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Well, I'm somewhat at the other end of the spectrum.

I've wanted a steet bike since I was 16. I got married at 23 and had my little boy at 26... and still no bike.

A couple of months ago, a friend/coworker GAVE me my 1000F. I figured I'd ride it, see if I like it and then possibly sell it in the future. Well, I'm still in the evaluation stage. My boy is going to be 2 in September and I plan on being around for quite some time. It affects the way I ride too, I'm more cautious and use every safety trick/lesson taught to me by friends and books and will be doing so with what I learn from the MSF course I'm taking week after next.

Honestly, you or I could get killed in just as quick of a blink of an eye driving a car, walking across the street, sitting in your home, etc. Granted, there's still a higher risk on a motorcycle even if you're the most responsible rider. But no matter what you do or are doing, if/when your time comes, there's nothing you can do about it but in those last few seconds look back on your life's achievements and regrets.

I'm still debating on whether to keep my CBR, or to get a cruiser with a little less power temptation, or whether I want to continue riding all together (I figure I'll have decided in 1-2 years).

I get that "little boy wanting to go out and play" when I watch classic cars going by, or bikes go by... even if I have just finished driving/riding my own. I've contemplated selling my chevelle countless times to help our money situation, but my wife has always said she would never ask me to sell it, it would be something I would have to do myself.

Sounds to me like your girlfriend is very understanding, definitely a keeper. Would you regret it if you sold it? Probably, I know I'd regret selling my chevelle and I know my father regrets selling the cherry 67 stingray he used to own. But, if you do decide to sell it, you at least had the experience of owning/riding a motorcycle and lived through it to reminisce about it. If you decide to keep it, I would encourage you to keep your little one in the back of your mind while riding and ask yourself if you're doing anything on your bike that could jeopardize you being around for them.

Ultimately, the decision is yours. There are plusses and minuses to each and you'll have to figure out what you can live with/without. Either way the fact that you're keeping your little one in mind is very admirable. You'll also find that your priorities will change after they're born. I know mine did. I stopped wanting a bike and one fell into my lap. You could find yourself not wanting to keep yours after the baby is born.

I'll finish with my father's story that he's often told me. My father used to ride dual-sports all the time. When I was 1 and my mother was pregnant with my little brother, my dad bought a Harley Sportster that he'd wanted for so long. He had it a grand total of 2 days. He said he remembered hopping on the bike for a ride on the second day, looking back and seeing my pregnant mother and I waving "bye-bye", me peeking under the railing and my mom's belly. He got down to the end of the street, turned around and parked it in the yard with a "For Sale" sign on it. He told me that at that point he vowed never to own another vehicle that he couldn't take the whole family in and something less risky. That was my dad's decision, of course, there weren't MSF courses and much in the way of armoring and protection that we have nowadays, if there were he didn't have it.

Good luck on your decision... and congratulations!

Old 06-26-2007, 01:40 PM

Thanks everybody. Glad I'm not the only one. Yes, she's definitely a keeper and I think you guy's idea of involving the family is a good thing. I asked her earlier if she'd like to take a trip to Laguna Seca for MotoGP next year and she was excited about it. Also, last night while I was polishing my bike she walked over to a poster of my dream bike, an MV Agusta 312R, on the wall, pointed at it, and said, "That's beautiful. Looks like art" I fell in love with her all over again at that moment . She asked how much it cost and I told her. She smiled and said, "Well as long as you keep Riley (the baby) in diapers, braces, and whatever else she needs you should start saving for one"

I've already thought about when Riley is 4 or 5. I'm going to buy a minimoto for her, a little suit and helmet, and bring her to a track for professional instruction. I can't see how any kid, boy or girl, would pass that up. I like to think of how cool it'll be one day to go riding with her, when she's 18 or so. Of course, I have no shame and have every intention of squeezing my XL *** onto a minimoto next to her.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to decide how much risk you're willing to take. But keep in mind that motorcycles will still be there even if you take a few years off to raise a family.

And whatever you do, make sure you have enough life insurance that your child will be OK financially if something happens to you, whether or not you keep on riding.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Users

You know, this is very odd that this came up now. I am 28 and got married at 24. I just graduated law school and got a job and a nice firm in downtown Chicago. I am studying for the bar and things are finally falling into place after years of struggling. My wife and I just decided to start trying to have a family in September now that I am done with school and I will be financially stable. My wife bought me my bike last Sept with her bonus from work (she's a keeper ). I have brought this up to her, that I feel wierd riding now even with the prospects of children in my near future.

Hearing everyone's take help. I sort of came to the same conclusion. I love my bike after having it less than a year and it's a true joy I have. My wife would never even suggest for me to get rid of it. But rather, my frame of mind has just changed slightly. A little less risk, a little more just casual enjoyment. No need to press the risk if I don't need to now.

Overall, I think giving up something you love for someone else is a great sacrifice and is appreicated by those whom you do it for. On the flip side, it can lead to regret and anger and blame. I think the best compromise is just to reduce your risks, and be smart (like we all should be anyways). As freebie said, everyday is a risk, it's just about being smart and not putting yourself in a bad situation. Total disregard for the loved ones in your life isn't right, nor is giving up a part of yourself when there are possibly better alternatives. If you eventually feel that the risks outweigh the enjoyment you get out of it or the seductive lure of being stupid takes over, get rid of it. But otherwise, just ride smart and kiss your GF and thank her for understanding that it's the little things in life, like riding, that help keep you sane everyday.

Old 06-26-2007, 04:32 PM

Well.... wit my experiences of children, wife, and a bike its somethin i cannot give up cuz every since i saw my uncles friend on a ninja 10-15 years back i said as soon as im 18 im gettin a bike. after my lil girl was born i decided bring the "stupied sh*t" to a minimul cuz i dont want her, my wife, and my 9 month old son without a father. First off my wife is not to fond of the bike but she knows that im the sole provider and if i want somethin imma get it as long as the family is straight. She pretty much is cooping wit it for now, the funny thing is my daughter loves it! she always wants to sit on it and asks "daddy wheres ur keys?" its amazing cuz shes 3 and she'll open the gas tank and find her way to the key switch, anytime we go somewhere in the car she is like "daddy can i start the car" and me bein a sucker for my babies i pretty much hand over the keys as if i was drunk at a party. I try to be careful wit the riding and i think alot because my son has only seen me for about 1 1/2 months due to deployment, but he still knows who daddy is. Just remember that its dangeous and ur riskin alot but when u see somebody doin 115 tryna race think to urself this a**hole is not worth my baby(s).

Old 06-26-2007, 04:43 PM

Hey pimpncbr954s careful how much you teach the lil ones, when they hit double digits and you wake up one day and your trying to figure out where the hell your car is. Your daughter may have her lil bro out joy riding. LOL. Teach em as much as you can!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:45 PM

As long as the GF/Wife is for it, then you have to make the decisions on the rest.

1) Make sure they are provided for if something happens to you: death, coma, etc. Have plenty of insurance and talk to your insurance rep to make sure everything is covered the way it should be to provide for them (and possibly yourself) if something goes wrong.

2) Make sure you don't do anything stupid to cause #1 to be needed. Granted, you are not in control of all circumstances, but the ones you are in control of, keep control of. When you want to twist that throttle a little too much, stop and think! Your little girl needs you more than you need the thrill of speeding or stunting or whatever it may be. A real man and a real father accepts this and does what is needed.

Quick Reply: Fatherhood and Riding...