Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Fatherhood and Riding...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fatherhood and Riding...

Back in 1999, I sold my 600F3 when my wife and I decided we were going to try to have a baby. At the time it felt pretty good to do the responsible thing...

After about 2 years (when my son was 1), I really started missing the old F3 and regretted selling it. I looked at new bikes then, but decided not to buy one, due to all the medical bills and problems that we were going through with our son. We found out in 2003 that he was Autistic, to boot.

Going through therapies and seeing doctors since kinda put the thoughts of getting another bike on the back burner. Then, in March of 2006, one of my best buddies came by to show me his new ZX10R. After I took it for a ride, the search for a bike was on.

After deciding that a newer bike was out of the question, I ran across a 1996 900RR dirt cheap, that was completely disassembled. It took me 10-months to get it together and on the road.

I still get to enjoy riding, but I ride a lot different now, than I did with the F3. Every time I go to pass a car or go blazing into a corner, I think about what the consequences would be for me and my family, if I make a mistake and crash. It keeps me in check now.

My wife was not too thrilled with the 900RR, until I got it together and have been riding it. As long as I don't let it dominate me free time and spend time with her and our son, she won't complain.

This is my experience with fatherhood and riding. Congratulations on the "baby girl on the way." Just keep her and her mother #1 and you'll be fine.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:08 PM

I don't think you have to give up the sport entirely. Just take it easy out there to reduce the risk. If your wife/GF knows how you feel about riding then stick with it. O yeah, and get a really good life insurance policy just in case. **** happens, and if any tragedy were to happen, whether it be motorcycle related or not, you don't want to leave your loved ones stranded.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:34 PM

Great post, im a new father myself, have a 4 month old girl at home My wife would never let me sell my bike, she knows its my passion, and for most who sell prob never buy again. It does make you be a tad more careful out there, last year while riding my wife was preggers, this summer ill actually have a little one at home I just picked up my RR last month actually, had an 02F4i last year. I'll want to get out and ride a lot for sure, but im sure there will be times where i wont, simply because ill want to just stay home a bit more? ahhhhh lol.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father died when I was 11, but my fondest memories of him are those when he took me for a ride on his BSA, sitting on the back perch, hanging on while we sped up the road or my favourite, when he hooked up the side car. Maybe it was this time that instilled the spirit of bikes in me, I like to think so.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 PM

well man, im in the same boat, Have a baby due in late july. The mother said she does not want me to sell the bike cuz in august she wants to go for a ride. I recently got a good job with good hours and pay so im not going to sell and im taking out a huge life insurance policy and never backing down. If something happens to me they will be set, if not then they will be set. So im going to do what i love and thats that. Fast cars, fast bikes, jumping out of planes, off of bridges, if im going to die, im going to be having a hell of a time when it happens. Congrats man! What you do with your life is your choice, Just whatever you choose make sure you enjoy it!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 PM

This thread was started some time ago, I wonder what, if any, the resolution was. This is something I think about every time I mount up. My Son is my reason for living. I love him more than anything. If it came down to a choice of either/or, well, seeya Honda ! Having said that, Fatherhood and motorcycling are the only two things I've had any success at doing well with. Knowing he looks to me for guidance has gotten me to modify my behaviour; I'm slow(er) to anger, more contemplative of my options, aware of the consequences of foolish actions, and I don't have anything to prove to anybody, I know I'm good. The same things are true on the bike. I feel that the two things (Dad/Biker) compliment each other, as I take them very seriously, and my success makes me feel good about myself.
My happiest childhood memories are of riding around on the back of my Moms' Honda. Dad and Uncle were "Hardly Dangerous" guys, back in the day. I consider being a motorcyclist to be my legacy to my son, it's a family tradition.
Finally, there is inherent risk associated with everything, one just needs to assess and adapt. It's a scary world, but I won't let my fear stop me in my tracks. I hope we all live long, productive lives. Pace, Gris.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 AM

Man you can keep your bike and your baby. I want your girl:P jk. but take it easy and keep the bike. Put your family and God first but don't abandon your passions. And congrats

Old 01-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son is almost 7 now. I bought a F2 the month before we found out he was on the way. I sold it. I was 17 though and life was hard for a while. His mom and I seperated when he was 3. I was trying to raise him all by myself. His mom came back around and decided she wanted to see him more. I got an F3 and rode in my free time. I have had many bikes after that. I have always sold my sportbikes and thought I'll just ride one of my '70's CB's around. I have learned that I will always have a CBR in the garage. I just ride safe and always gear up. I just take it easy. I only push myself on the track. If you sell it you will get another one in 3-5 years. It only takes me 6 months before I buy one again

Old 01-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Judging from this post, I think he not only kept it, he moved up to a 1000RR,

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/my-new-1000rr-finally-73103/

As for me, my kids are 19 now. I had my 1000F mothballed from the time they were 4 until they were 17. I just didn't find the time to ride that often, preferring to spend all my time with them.

Quick Reply: Fatherhood and Riding...