Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Fatherhood and Riding...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fatherhood and Riding...

i can help slightly with this situation b4 marriage i had a 1971 monte carlo 412ci and a motorcycle. first the bike went when kids came, and then the car. it was sad to see my 2 toys go away when the family came. recently i got a new f4i at the advice of my wife. she knows i work hard and deserve a toy. with kids you WILL be more careful and will keep them in your mind. a motorcycle can be dangerous, but there are worse hobbies. just ride safe and have fun, and be a great dad. i have 2 girls. there great.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Freebie

I'm still debating on whether to keep my CBR, or to get a cruiser with a little less power temptation, or whether I want to continue riding all together (I figure I'll have decided in 1-2 years).
Good posting -- very honest.

What you wrote about the power temptation is so true. I'm tired of hearing about newbies having to own a sportbike as their very first bike.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Ruthless

I have 3 kids.....and they come first. I ride when I can, and yes it's a risk you take (father or no father). Having children just slows you down a bit and makes you more aware of things around you (Riding or not).

I love my bike and it's one thing I really love to do (My wife and kids understand this) besides being with my family. Just be extra cautious. It's really cool your GF supports you keepin it. I would follow her lead on this one.

By the way congrats on your soon to be lil girl. Who knows she could be your future riding partner, hope my kids are mine.
+1 These are my exact thoughts also, they are so accurate I can not even add to them!!

Old 06-27-2007, 01:40 AM

ahhh i throw my son up on the back of my bike after school and stuff. we're all gonna die eventually, its how we live that matters the most. just ride. my son races 4 wheelers and i want him to race bikes when hes of age. me and him are both aware of the risks and we just shrug it off and keep truckin man. i've lived thru liver/kidney failure, a drug overdose, being hit by a car, and i survived iraq. so ahhh death is nothing to be afraid of.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Wildcat

I'm still debating on whether to keep my CBR, or to get a cruiser with a little less power temptation, or whether I want to continue riding all together (I figure I'll have decided in 1-2 years).

What you wrote about the power temptation is so true. I'm tired of hearing about newbies having to own a sportbike as their very first bike.
Well, like I said, the bike was given to me and I just couldn't pass it uip. Honestly, I never had an interest in a sport bike. I've had some friends who have had them and told me about the temptation to go fast. I wanted to start riding on a dual sport and work my way up to a cruiser. I'm more of a cruiser person and people see me that way, but the CBR is still fun, I just don't know how much to trust myself on it.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: Wildcat

Well, like I said, the bike was given to me and I just couldn't pass it uip. Honestly, I never had an interest in a sport bike. I've had some friends who have had them and told me about the temptation to go fast. I wanted to start riding on a dual sport and work my way up to a cruiser. I'm more of a cruiser person and people see me that way, but the CBR is still fun, I just don't know how much to trust myself on it.
I should clarify that I wasn't referring to you. You sound like a thoughtful person with a good head on your shoulders and you're right, I wouldn't pass up on a FREE bike either! lol

Many people say, "sure, get the RR, just be careful." Easier said than done when you're leaned forward with all that power beneath you.

And for the people about to flame me: I know, I know, it's a free country, everyone can make their own choices, not everyone is reckless, etc. etc.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my girl is 8 now. I've owned a bikeher whole life. I just make sure I wear the best gear I can afford and ride sensibly.

I don't get to ride as much as I used to. There is only so much time I can justify being away from the family. We car pool in the morning so riding to work is a luxury... I did today, I did a few weeks ago. I ride some evenings and early on the weekends when they're still asleep.

In the first months don't expect to log very many miles. You'll end up in the dog house. Even if she says go have fun, she'll be home alone with baby and will eventually need the company more than you need to go for a ride. Be there for her, log the miles when you can.

Don't sell. Last night I was in the garage checking the bikes charging system over. Little one came over and so I let her hop up on the seat. She can't touch the ground yet (but getting there). So I swung a leg over - and even though she hates how loud the bike is (kids hate other people's loud noises but don't seem to mind there own) - she wanted to go off on a ride. One day your kid will want to go for a ride with you... right now you may want to chase the best twisty, but then you'll just want to go for a ride with your kid. Even if it's just around the block. Better than any twisty in the world.

Cheers,
woot.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Retired Moderator

^^^Woot, you always post the right response.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:45 AM

(kids hate other people's loud noises but don't seem to mind there own)

So true, So true........

Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn...freebie's story of his dad looking back got me all teary...ahahah BS...tahoe doesn't cry...he gets allergies!

my boy is now 9.5 months...since he's been born, i've been on the bike a total of 10 times or so...everytime i get on there...i see his face...and how it would be like if he grows up without a father...and it gives me allergies...

so now...i just ride around the house...to commercial areas on the weekends to teach newbs how to ride...my knee hasn't touched the asphalt in a long time...and although it itches...that feeling is zelch compared to watching the reactions on my son's face when i make him laugh, surprise him, etc...

so no more twistys...minimal commuting...and track only to get my jollies, but mang...now i need money for tires and track...and witha baby and crazy wife, there's very little left for myself.

yes, we're all going to die some day...but that doesn't mean we live recklessly...because we have little ones who depend on us now...but this doesn't mean that we give up what we love...we try to minimize as many risks as we can.

keep the bike...swap the gearing so that it rides more like a 600...don't do the cruiser...because they're heavy andmanuver like crap and may get you into more trouble...and take it to the track!

and in the grand scheme of things...when we go doesn't depend on us...the Father has the final say in everything.

Quick Reply: Fatherhood and Riding...