Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding the other day...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding the other day...

So the other day when it was nice out - I took a nice 4 hour ride all over the place.

About an hour into it - I ran into some other riders as I was coming off our parkway system (which is pretty damn nice when open for us). Anyway, as I saw them go by, I thought that I had met one of them before off our bikes and I remember him saying he had an R1. So I turn around and get in behind them.

I'm not sure if they knew I was behind them or not, but once they hit the parkway, they got on it and I was able to easily keep up, which was rewarding in itself. The conditions were perfect, no traffic and the never left my sight in the twisties. A nice little confidence booster as I really haven't ridden with anyone other than my buddy with a 75 Honda CB 500 Cafe Racer (sweet bike by the way).

After making a few stops along the way, we reintroduced ourselves and now I find myself rompin' the city streets with about 3 other bikes... wow. That was a serious blast. Everyone was wearing some gear, which was cool. I'm not down for riding with douchebags, and so far these cats seemed pretty damn cool.

The guy on the R1 had a rear tire with the belts showing, I thought my tire was bad. He said he had about another 200 miles on it. I'm thinking dammit - I thought mine was bald (it is). Anyway, the guy on the R1 did a good couple of wheelies through the city and as someone who never even got to see stuff like that in person, I was like a kid in the candy store.

He was very good. He had great control of his bike and never once lifted the front end in any sort of heavy traffic. To me, he was about as cautious as someone can be while still poppin' wheelies in the street.

So I wonder - what's your guys' opinions on that stuff? Do you make a case bycase judgement or do you feel like if someone pops a wheelie in traffic, you don't want to ride with them? Of course, a couple of months ago, I wouldn't have been able to ride with them. I would have gotten fired if I was pulled over or caught with any of them.

Well, now I'm not a cop anymore and I have to say. It was exhilerating tearing up the streets with them. I may have not been doing wheelies, but I sure wasn't the slow or technically deficient one of the group. I was always right behind the leader and that was like I said, a nice confidence booster as I really haven't had anyone to compare my skills with.

I dunno - I had a blast and ended up meeting some really cool cats that I'm sure I'll be riding with again as soon as the weather lets us. It's just strange now how my POV has sort of changed.

Before December, I'd be calling them all sorts of names for doing crap on the streets - but now, as long as I, in my opinion, don't feel as if they're putting anyone in serious danger - I say go for it!

Whaddyall think?

Old 02-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Default RE: Riding the other day...

I ride for the joy of getting out and seeing the world on two wheels. Much like that first bicycle experience when
I was just 6 years old - freedom, exhiliration and yes, some speed.

I don't look for thrills from the stunter thing, and if that is in my future, it will be on a closed course. If you are on a public street, no matter how careful you are, you cannot predict everything nor react in time to every event.

At least they are showing restraint and judgement, but I don't think your group would suit me.

Old 02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

That's exactly what I was looking for - thanks for the feedback!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 PM

As far as riding with them I dont see a big problem, as long as the acts arent being done in rush hour on 4 lanes of traffic: know what I mean. I think its cool to see them every ow and again, but I HATE seeing it in the middle of traffic. IF its an open street with no cars around, my buddy will pull up a quick one just to do it. I never do, nor do I intend to on public roads, but everyone I ridee with is VERY cautious about everything. Dont get me wrong we all have fun, but we try no to do it at others expenses. I usually just go for the ride, and if some decide to go 80 in a 45, thats their perogitive, but I'm hanging back. I think as long as they are respectful and catious to an extend, there shouldnt be a problem, JMO though

Old 02-09-2007, 02:34 PM

I rode with a friend and his buddies one time. They rode like that, but way more reckless! It didn’t matter what the traffic was like. They would do wheelies ranging from 35mph to 100mph in a 60 zone. Like I said they were very reckless. As I was riding with them I was saying to myself, “these guys are going to get me killed or in a lot of troubleâ€. I was not speeding or doing wheelies but that whole guilty by association thing is popular with cops. So I finished out the day riding with them. Said see ya later. And never rode with them again. I don’t have anything against stunting. I think its way cool and technical. But I don’t think its meant for the main and busy streets. Yeah, Ill pop my front end up here and there with some hard acceleration. But almost never on a main street with cars around. I take it to the country highways.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:13 PM

If they do it in controlled conditions it is one thing but on public streets is a no go under any circumstances. But it is a judgement call all the way.

Old 02-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my riding "coach" does wheelies in the freeway all the time...i call him squid...he laughs...he's a very controlled rider...
what you going to do right? since i can't stop him...i let him do his stuff, watch for cops and make sure that there is enough distance between him and other cars that he would not be hurt, nor anyone else if anything happens...

but a tire with cords showing? that is crazy..

Old 02-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

Yeah, apparently he'll ride till it blows...

Which is how he ended the day, did about a 2 1/2 block rolling burnout in his neighborhood and pulled into his garage. It was quite the spectacle for a new rider, haha.

I guess that's where I'm at, "whaddyagonnado?" I've been around enough special skill people to recognize when someone knows what they're doing, I guess as long as I don't see him putting anyone in real danger in my mind - I'll keep riding with him. It was a blast.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:38 PM

You were a cop?[&:]
Your "friends" are a reflection of you. You need new "friends".[:@]I used to wheelie my NSR at the track. I don't wheelie my big bike. The guys I roll with know better than to stunt in the street while I'm with them. Parking lots go for, traffic = SQUID.[:'(] I bounce when **** like that goes down, my insurance is high enough and I want to keep my license.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:58 AM
Banned

Haha, maybe.

Quick Reply: Riding the other day...