Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Does shortening your pipe actually make it run cooler or hotter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 11:50 AM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does shortening your pipe actually make it run cooler or hotter?

i ask because you would think that will less restriction you in turn would have temperature drop but along with that shortening your decreasing the metallic area for heat dissipation....

what do you guys think? I would really like to hear from some of the guys that have shortened their pipes as well to see if they noticed a backpressure/torque drop or not... and if they noticed the bike any more rich or lean....

Old 11-19-2010, 11:52 AM

i realize that for most topics this wouldnt make that big of a difference but im talking about cutting a considerable amount off and wanna know if ill see any type of difference during street use that i may not want

Old 11-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Doesn't do anything noticeable except make it louder because you have less silencing material in the pipe. Also you generally have leaks in it afterwords too.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I ran the shorty D&D I made is seemed to move the torque curve up further into the rpm range along with made it pop and backfire alot which meant it needed retuned to continue running it. I choose to go a diff route with a CF D&D and repacked it. As far as the temps at the pipes, I dont think they would change enough to notice and temps at the gauge you wouldnt notice unless you ran er at a consistent speed/rpm with each setup n compared the 2. And again I dont think the difference would be enough to notice while riding. Now the sound level is a completely diff story lol. The shorty can will be extremely loud compared to the full length can.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
Doesn't do anything noticeable except make it louder because you have less silencing material in the pipe. Also you generally have leaks in it afterwords too.
luckily because the pipe is a bolt on i wont have to worry about leaks afterwords.... idk if youve ever taken a bolt on pipe apart but its completely different than a slip on...

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
When I ran the shorty D&D I made is seemed to move the torque curve up further into the rpm range along with made it pop and backfire alot which meant it needed retuned to continue running it.
lol this statement confused me slightly? can you explain, its not that its unclear im just a idiot and dont know what your trying to get at ha

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
I choose to go a diff route with a CF D&D and repacked it. As far as the temps at the pipes, I dont think they would change enough to notice and temps at the gauge you wouldnt notice unless you ran er at a consistent speed/rpm with each setup n compared the 2. And again I dont think the difference would be enough to notice while riding. Now the sound level is a completely diff story lol. The shorty can will be extremely loud compared to the full length can.
lol this statment i get haha.... and yes the pipe is a new yoshi rs3 and its a bolt on for the 929/954 and it quite quiet so i had planned on shortening it for asthetics as well as possibly a little more groan at idle...

needless to say this weekend or beg. of next week expect to see some photoshop pics with different length of pipe removed... as i am still undecided how much i want to take off...

currently i plan on removing it to look somewhat like this (dont mind its a crappy paid edit) also please keep in mind mines a bolt on style not slip on like seen

Old 11-19-2010, 07:00 PM

[QUOTEluckily because the pipe is a bolt on i wont have to worry about leaks afterwords.... idk if youve ever taken a bolt on pipe apart but its completely different than a slip on... ][/QUOTE]

I think by leaks, he meant where you cut the pipe and replace the cap. Its very hard to get a tight seal once you cut it, especially on a stainless can. Unless you get a perfect, burr free cut, you will probably have some leaks there.

If your just looking for a little louder, give the pipe some burn in time and it will be louder. My yosh took about 1500 miles and there was a significant difference in noise.

My suggestion, if you really want the cut down look. Is buy a crashed pipe for cheap, then cut it down. I don't see much sense in cutting a good pipe when you can find dented or rashed cans to cut down. Most of the time, the end caps are good, just the centers are messed up. then, sell your yosh can. You can buy a crashed pipe for about a 1/4 of what a good one cost, so you can see the money you can save.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:32 PM

IMO - Too short and way too loud.