Hotter than usual after 525 to 520 & ratio swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hotter than usual after 525 to 520 & ratio swap

2005 Honda CBR 600rr 4500miles. Two brothers slip on, headers, PCV. 520 -1/+2 and green or red LEDs cause its black on black [the red is freaking sick]..

I just recently did a 520 conversion and also a -1/+2. [comes up in second nice and smooth now even with my heavy butt on it ] I ended up with about 114 links in my chain. This was a pretty tight fit so at full adjustment my chain sag is dang near 1" rather than the 1-1/4"- 1-1/2" that is recommended. I figure it will stretch soon enough and Ill be spot on. Since I did the swap though I have been reaching 230 F pretty fast on my temp readout. I also installed a SpeedoDRD [$70, super easy instal, and fairly strait forward to program]

My Question is, could having the chain slightly to tight be putting enough strain on the motor to heat it up a bit more? I realize that having the gears in the power zone more will do it too, but it seems like its running hot still. and oddly enough on the expressway at 80 mph, it runs cooler than normal. [water pump at higher RPM cooling better?]

I have also noticed the electric cooling fan is getting louder... I have had many bikes and never been able to hear the fan over my headphones and helmet like this one.

I haven't seen it climb over 230 yet, but neither have i just let it sit an idle. I live in Florida and it has been about 88f with loads of humidity The coolant level is normal, BUT! I did see a few drops on the fairing below the thermostat [or impeller cover?] on the clutch side of the bike.

Am I just paranoid?

2nd. While in 4th gear decelerating to a stop light, the bike at about 20 mph started shaking in the front end really bad. I had no hands on the bars adjusting my helmet at the time . Never seen a bike do that, it was pretty violent. I checked the wheel and all the bolts etc/brakes just to make sure nothing was out of alignment or loose but nothing amiss. I do have the suspension and preload cranked almost all the way up [full turns and then back about a 1/4 or 1/8 of a turn on top. I'm 220lbs on a 600rr that hasn't been re-sprung] could this be part of it? reverberations from a still suspension?

I know... I need to get the thing re-sprung, but i am in law school, dirt poor, with very little time. I do not have half a day, the money or anyone to even help me adjust the shocks appropriately.

Please forgive my lengthy show of ignorance. Any tips or advice is welcome and I thank you in advance.

Last edited by etdavenport; 08-17-2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:03 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You said the fan is much more noisey now, it could be not moving enough air causing the more rapid heat build up. The chain only being a 1/4" too tight won't cause engine heat problems.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:28 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Do you think the fan is slightly off balance that it maybe be touching the radiator, but not enough to stop it and maybe it is turning bit slower?

My fan was touching the radiator after my accident and wasn't coming on at all and I actually went up to 255.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:28 AM

pretty sure I found it. Ther was a small leak at the lowest bolt on the water pump. It was soooooooo small that it was flashing off beofere i could see any steam or anything dripping even after pressurizing the system. On a hunch I checked it again and pumped the psi WAY UP, and finally noticed it. that explains the intermittent behavior i was experiencing. it was only leaking under serious heat/psi conditions. So far problem solved.

The fan is still making noise though... nothing is touching, just sound like the bearing or race for the fan is shot maybe.