Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

did my first whellie today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did my first whellie today!!!

ok so i have been trying for a while now, at first i tried to roll and then gun it so the front end would come off the groung, but i think my bike doesnt have enough power to lift it up, even in 1st gear, i have a 89 f1 btw, anyways so today after work i tried by letting the clutch go, i know is dumd buz i can loss control of the bike easily but i did it, and yes now it came off the ground, all i remeber is looking at my front wheel going like crazy (side to side) then i landed it, good thing i was able to landed good, so any of guys have any advice for me, on how to start doing whellies the rigt way, by right way i mean safer way...

Old 05-05-2006, 03:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: did my first whellie today!!!

Well, sounds cool.. As much as Wheelies look cool though, I generally try to advoid them because I really don't wanna be a dirty red stain on the pavement with my bike in pieces.

Call me a sissy or a pansy, but I just enjoy riding. No sense in riding outside my comfort zone....

Buuuut I have got the front end to come up several times before unintentionally, just racing through the gears and being a bit heavy on the throttle.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: did my first whellie today!!!

Easiest way is called chopping the throttle. Basically get your bike in first gear and pretty hight in the rpm range where you really get the power kick. Once youre at a good rpm point let off the throttle so the rpms drop about 2-3 grand then pin it again. The front wheel will come right up after you practice it a bit. You can do it in higher gears too but you really have to preload the front shocks pretty hard. I have no experience with this but my buddie has done it on my bike in 3rd gear and scared the hell outta me. Basically do the same thing as above but in a higher gear and right when you back off the throttle jam all your weight on the front fork really fast and hard.

Basically this is why that works. Think of a spring. When you compress a spring really hard and then let go it bounces up. Anyone that jumps dirtbikes should know this principle as well for extra loft.