got my RR today..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got my RR today..

Well just got home at 6:40pm PST and with my brand new 06 1000RR.. god, you people put so many doubts into me about my riding skill with "it's too much to handle" blah blah blah.. I guess i do have 8 months of experience from my 95 CBR 6000F3i but i swear to god for 2 hours in the dealership i was having butterflies of dropping it or it having too much power to handle.. Now I'll say it does got that getty up and go HP - i swear i was only going 1st and 2nd on the way home because i was scared i might accidently put too much throttle when getting back on it after the shift.. I'm still shaking while typing this because i'm like in a sureal state trying to figure out if i actually have a bike or if im going to wake up in a couple of minutes from this dream.. It's been about 2 years since ive actually riden, but it all came back to me in 2 secs when that bike started moving underneath me...

but im home safe and just getting ready to go to work (too longer then i thought) but got it for $9,870 out the door - but i'm out of here...

(sorry if part of this was a rant.. just telling how i felt from some of the posts on 1000RR forums... ill try to explain it more when i get home)

[IMG]local://upfiles/4526/1DAC386B3CDE40D0BF68749C16B55979.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Default RE: got my RR today..

this is a lot of bike but it is also pussycat

under 5k or so it is quite tame

open up the throttle and get the rpms into the 8-9k range and hang on tight redline is coming up fast

heres a fun game

get up to about 65 in 3rd then crack the throttle wide open
shift fast about 1000rpms before redline (the hp drops off right at 11800 according to my dyno chart)
by now you should be doing well into the triple digit range

down low it is a different story
stock gearing is actually very tall and it the tamest litre bike out there
if you dont crack it wide open the throttle at every stoplight and ride like you have some sense it will be fine

Old 10-14-2006, 01:04 AM

congrats man!!! its ok to ride slow..be safe than sorry!

But how long are u gonna ride slow huh?? LOL!!!

Once you're comfortable on her..yeah you can try wat baxsom said. The idea is to feel the max hp of the bike as when compared to a dyno test.

Enjoy ur ride and ride safe!!

Old 10-14-2006, 01:18 AM

Hey, congrats!! You're gonna love the power. All the way home in 2nd? I tell ya, I get in more trouble in 2nd than any other gear - front comes up and it's faster than all getout. Take it easy to start out and enjoy the ride.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:41 AM

first off, im not doing anything you guys are - i'm just happy having a bike (yeah i say this now) but look at the pictures and how long i had to wait to have an out to get another one.. I don't care anything about this HP, a 600RR would of satisfated me enough (it's like picking to sleep with 6 girls or 7... it might be more, but it really doesn't matter after 3)

but when it gets broken in, and at 150miles - ill start riding it hard to make sure everything sets right... but i'm only looking for a cruise bike, no stunting - no hitting 160+.. and the only reason i bought a 1000RR because they didnt have any black 600's (which would of sucked anyways to have something that is hard to see and gets dirty so much faster) plus i got such a sweeter deal on it then the 600.. but i'm so happy with it, so doesnt really matter..

But i dont need anymore HP, dont need to hit the high RPM's and what not - just want to cruise around.

also seeing how it's a brand new bike - i noticed to see smoke comming out the exhaust while idling at a stoplight, is that common (it's steam kind-of.. not black or grey it doesnt seem like) i just figure it's a new engine and trying to get set in place with everything (my camaro did the same thing with it's new 350 engine)

but yeah, i was ranting on some people because i read some of the "should i get a 1000RR" topics and they are like "OMG your going to kill yourself.. it's dangerous and the throttle response is 10x faster" yeah it does have a quick response.. but if a beginner stayed in his boundries with not over-doing it, he would actually learn and be able to handle a 1000rr.

but whatever, i'm going to bed.. got work early in the morning and it's raining all weekend (they say) so not going to be able to bring out the bike for awhile.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4526/F18A39A9806E4E35AB56F7D219492214.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4526/CB6C6197EB0C470DAF7E3E73B484884A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-14-2006, 08:43 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Vermino

also seeing how it's a brand new bike - i noticed to see smoke comming out the exhaust while idling at a stoplight, is that common (it's steam kind-of.. not black or grey it doesnt seem like) i just figure it's a new engine and trying to get set in place with everything (my camaro did the same thing with it's new 350 engine)[quote]

Sorry this part made me laugh. I think it is normal for smoke to come out of the exhaust.

Congrats on the new bike. I am loving mine as well.
I was told 600 miles and not over 100MPH for break in.

Good luck...

Old 10-14-2006, 12:05 PM

dont baby it too much at the beginning

i am probably going to start a war with this
but a lot of people recommend a harder break in with newer bikes than ever before

for example when i bought mine the tech inspection guy told me within the first 100 miles or so i need to get it repeatly up to redline and then let it engine brake in at least the first couple gears

then check out the www.rogueracing.org site on break in
this guy has been building bike for at least 10 years so I would listen to everything he has to say about the 1000rr.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:13 PM

I pretty much followed Roague Racing's break-in procedure and mine runs like a scalded ape....changed my oil at 100(pure black), then again at 300(better), then at 600(clean) and switching to full synthetic at 1000. Then every 3000 thereafter.

Once I hit 600 miles, I started bringing up close to the redline - nice and smooth and bring it back down nice and smooth. 2nd gear is a good break-in gear.

Don't dog the bike when your breaking it in - it will never seal right, will have less hp and could end up using oil.

The 1st 600 miles are the most important - don't blow it!

Don't worry about the smoke - it's the crap on the inside of the muffler that's burning off.

The stock gearing is a bit high for my tastes, so I'm bumping up the rear 1 tooth to see how that feels.

Congrats dude!

Old 10-14-2006, 02:17 PM

Welcome, and injoy your new toy.

Old 10-14-2006, 03:12 PM

scalded ape
thats funny
i have never seen a scalded ape
(or any scalded animal for that matter)