Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Death to the Beetle!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Death to the Beetle!

The VW's inspection was expiring at the end of the month. Last year it cost damn near $1000 to get it to pass and the check engine light would flicker every once in a while. So we decided to take the Beetle out and put 'er down.

Actually we only went to go look at cars. Damn salesman sold Yuen on a 2010 Ford Edge with 9.5k miles. $23k OTD. No pics of the new car yet cause we just got home (seriously 2 hrs of paperwork). Initial thoughts:
  • I smiled the first time a car started to cut into my lane... and decided against it
  • The VW had a giagantic view out the rear. The Edge has a box
  • The Edge has some funky wide-view mirrors in the upper corners that motorcycle manufacturers NEED to add to our bikes
  • We hae to step up to get in the Edge, like normal people should when getting into a non-sports car. Yuen was worried the dogs might not be able to get in... till I reminded her Kia can jump 4' straight up and Kai regularly clears the couch
  • Bluetooth sync: nuff said
  • The Edge is substantially quieter than the VW in all categories.

Oh and DEAR GOD! We went to FC Kerbek in Palmyra, NJ. They sell pretty much every car that'll make you cream yourself. There was a Ferrari parked right out front. The salesman tried to tempt me into taking the tour of the upstairs where they keep the Bentleys, Lamborghinis, Maseratis and such.

But they're so far out my budget I didn't feel like having my head explode

Old 06-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I regularly clean and drive Ferrari's, Bentleys, BMW's, Audi's and 1950's packards and Lincolns. It's nice working for a billionaire. But as far as quality goes the new Audi A8 beats out the Bentley Arnage R hands down. Car feels like it's made from match boxes compared to the Audi. But I'm glad you seem to like the Ford. I used to be a VW guy, parents have always been Ford people, but now I drive an old Benz.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM

Nice Pick up!

Got an 07 Ford Edge SEL Plus. by far one of the best/smoothest riding cars/suv/trucks i have ever owned!

Old 06-06-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
There's just something so nice about that new car feeling, or new to you. Especially something that has a nice modern look to it that you know you won't get sick of in a couple of years. Considering you guys traded in a high 30's mpg car for a low 20's mpg crossover I'm guessing that she doesn't drive alot of miles? If so that'll be good for maintaining it's value longer.
She works 3 blocks from the apt and would pay more in parking / 2 days than she would pay in gas for a week. And since I ride whenever I can, the VW would sit for a week at a time during spring / summer. Only going out on Mondays when we run errands.

The VW was getting ready to slam head first into the mechanic shop too. Oh sure, she changed the oil somewhat frequently. But in 78k miles and 7 years, no other maintenance done. Not even air filter or transmission fluid. You could almost hear the time bomb ticking

Old 06-07-2011, 12:34 AM

FWD but I can handle snow just fine with it. Hell, the Beetle got through 2 blizzards. And our work vans are FWD. The only real scary thing is... Yuen.

She's used to tiny little cars. At the dealership, she refused to take it out on the highway while it was still the dealers (perfect time if you're gonna bang out) Good thing we didn't go with the 1st choice: Cadillac SRX. Only thing wrong with them were the used ones all had 30k+ on the clock

Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Hangfire
the work commute (60 miles one way)
Holly cow. That is a long way to work!!

Kuro - congrats on your new car