Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dealing w/ annoying anti-motorcycle family members

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends have all gotten used to the idea that the motorcycle comes first except in emergencies. They now know that if I say "Yeah I'll ride up in 15 minutes" It's actually going to be about an hour because I'll ride right past their place and keep going until it's out of my system haha. My women friends still don't grasp the idea yet that the bike is more important than them, they get a little pissy sometimes but eh. I imagine it'd be the same way if I had a girlfriend.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
My girl didn't like me riding. Could see her tense up when er I looked at my F3. Now she buys me gear, bought my F4iand shrugs
my wife got physically ill when i first got the bike. It gradually got better. Now she's "used" to it. she doesn't like it, but she also supports me on it now.

I think you just need to earn their respect by riding safely for like a year or so.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:17 PM

My dad's dad was a doctor in a smaller town, he'd be the one going out to every single accident that happened, including pickup up the pieces of racers. After every accident he'd bring home pictures and show them to my dad to scare him away from ever riding.

Fast forward 40 years and my dad tries the same thing, I look him dead in the eye and tell him that I know what the dangers are, that I've watched the videos, seen the pictures, visited the friends in the hospital, and lost a few too. He didn't say anything and walked away.

A year or so later we were at all at a friends house who has a paved driveway around the edge of his property. The homeowners were all hauling around on ATVs having a good time, so I fired up the bike and chased them around. After a bit my mom asked if she could have a ride on the back, and she had a blast. After that I gave my sister a ride, and after that my dad was the only one left. He couldn't get shown up by his little daughter so he hopped on and I took him around the road a few times. When he got off he was laughing so hard that he was crying.

Fast forward a few more weeks and he walks up, and kinda sheepishly asks if it's always that much fun to ride. I just smiled.

Ever since then he just smiles when I'm headed out the door and tells me to ride safe.

Some people will never be accepting of what we do, regardless of any amount of convincing. But on the other side, some people just need a little experience to let them understand why we love to ride.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

even if it is concerned family members, there's a point where enough is enough.

put up with it, argue your points with them, but if that doesn't work, then just start agreeing with them and nodding your head. they'll eventually learn its not worth their time. and the longer you go without an accident, that will build THEIR confidence.

explain to them that it is ACTUALLY rarely that its "the car that pulled out of nowhere". you make yourself visible by riding in certain parts of the lane, and that its not as dangerous or as much of a death trap as the general public makes it out to be. and at the end of the day, you're going to do what you want to do

after that, just ignore them.

Last edited by Conrice; 09-17-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
put up with it, argue your points with them, but if that doesn't work, then just start agreeing with them and nodding your head. they'll eventually learn its not worth there time. and the longer you go without an accident, that will build THEIR confidence.

after that, just ignore them.
Good advice

Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

"your concern for my well-being is duly noted."

Old 09-17-2011, 11:06 PM

I agree with Conrice & regen.

I understand everyones concern, but I also understand and respect the risks that we all take every time we ride. If you can get them to see that part you should be fine after that.