Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dealing w/ annoying anti-motorcycle family members

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My response is usually, people die in cars every day too but you don't think twice about getting in one of them. You can die doing anything, why not be doing something your enjoying.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:07 AM

My friends father inlaw fell down the last few steps on a stair case, broke his neck and died instantly. All he was doing was helping another family member move house and he died. I'm always referring back to that one when the "bikes are dangerous" or "death trap" discussion comes up.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell them you don't understand because it is hard to see every rider smiling under the full faced helmet.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i'm the only motorcyclist in my family on my side. in fact, ever single family member on my side would give me crap at first.

and at first, i tried defending myself. it used to get a little heated.

but the sh*t kept coming, so i decided that one day, i'd just start agreeing with them and saying "ok" and nodding my head anytime they said something negative.

after a little while of that, they dropped it. i think they finally started to realize they were just wasting their breath with trying to convince me to give up riding. now they are at peace with it.

i won't give up riding, and now i think they actually believe me when i say it. you have to realize one crucial thing when talking about the "dangerous-ness" of motorcycles - most of the people that think they are death traps or rolling coffins are people that are NOT riders. so what the hell do they know about riding? and the answer is nothing.

tell them that, and then after if they still persist, just agree and nod your head

Old 09-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kuro is 100% right. Your family members care about you, and they're legitimately worried about your well-being. You should consider yourself fortunate to have them.

Assuming they're willing to listen, you can tell them, and find the statistics to back it up, that the overwhelming majority of motorcycle crashes involve riders who are either inexperienced, unlicensed, untrained, or intoxicated. You can move the odds in your favor by taking the right actions. Show them that you take their concern seriously by getting proper training, always wearing full gear, and riding responsibly.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:03 AM

find a nice girl, who ''puts out''
pick her up on your bike
take her to wherever your having this ****e
strip her naked and fek her in front of them.

and then say,

i will ride whatever i want, whenever!

usually shuts em up

Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM

Back when I lived at home my parents were 110% against me getting a bike. So i did the sensible thing and bought my first ride(f2) when they were out of town lol. Ended up being a controversial welcome home present but they eventually got over it.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't some of y'all just recommend he bust them in the mouth?

Cause if any of the ppl doing it are seriously concerned bout his welfare they're gonna end up hatimg him anyway with some of the advice given

Old 09-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Why don't some of y'all just recommend he bust them in the mouth?

Cause if any of the ppl doing it are seriously concerned bout his welfare they're gonna end up hatimg him anyway with some of the advice given
Lighten up. Most people are just kidding and everyone should take ALL advice given with a grain of salt. Of course family cares about someone riding but its "YOUR" choice not theirs to choose to ride.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by daniels
Lighten up. Most people are just kidding and everyone should take ALL advice given with a grain of salt. Of course family cares about someone riding but its "YOUR" choice not theirs to choose to ride.
My girl didn't like me riding. Could see her tense up when er I looked at my F3. Now she buys me gear, bought my F4iand shrugs

I consider it a serious question because I would have seriously dumped her if she couldn't come to terms with me riding

Quick Reply: Dealing w/ annoying anti-motorcycle family members