Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Custom Chopper Craze?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Chopper Craze?

Im curious to findout what all of you think about the chopper craze thats hit the motorcycle scene. Does the building of custom choppers help or hurt the industry? Have you met any one that owns a custom chopper and what was their demeanor? WHat are your feelings on the topics and anyother points surrounding this issue?

Old 12-21-2005, 11:55 AM
Default RE: Custom Chopper Craze?

Each to there own i say, I think the rise in popularity is due to Shows on T.V like Orange County Choppers and the like. I don`t think i would own one myself as my only bike. I think if i was minted enough to have a selection i may consider one, they have there purpose.
Choppers are usually cruising machines that are comfortable and Slow, my Blade on the other hand is a Precision Tool to slice through the curves at Speed.

Old 12-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Retired Administrator

I don't know about the comfort thing... the ones I have tried out are awkward. As long as they are on two wheels, I’ll support them. Buy one, hell no. I do know a guy that has one, but not well. He is a neighbor to one of my riding buddies. He just dropped 32,000.00 on a custom built for him chopper. They look nice sitting in a garage or show room, but they tend to break down a lot. That’s the custom part. We have three local shops that build and sell them here. All starting in the mid to upper 20k’s. That’s two sweet looking usable sportbikes with good gear. I still don’t think they are built as well as our bikes. Like OCC… use the bigger hammer until it fits.

Old 12-21-2005, 04:25 PM

I like some of them, and some are just over the top. I don't see some of them being very comfortable. I just like the looks of some of them, not as much as the sportbikes but I like them. The prices are just crazy though!!!

Old 12-21-2005, 06:41 PM

We can pay just as much for our bikes fully tricked.....anyone seen a 40k R1? Bet you have if you read any of the mags

I 2nd Anubis, if onlyl 1 bike then what I have, but if money no biggie, Oh Yeah...built to me

Old 12-21-2005, 10:27 PM

I would like them better if they were really choppers instead of put together kits. Watch any episode of american chopper....they start with an ordered frame, put on an ordered motor, etc. all they fabricate is the tank (sometimes) and the fenders (sometimes). There really isnt any technology in a chopper. I wish people would build their own from scratch like some of the guys do. They do raise motorcycle awarness with their popularity though which is cool. I hate the image that some people think they have to portray when they ride one....(bald head, goatee, tatoos, no helmet, sunglasses, and the shirt with your favorite motorcycle company on it)

Old 12-21-2005, 10:54 PM

I must admit custom bikes are works of art. They are usually beautiful, but I can see how some are looking at this as a fad....kind of like the little dogs and name brand things....I really hate when people buy things just to be in and not for the love of it.

Old 12-27-2005, 06:14 AM
Retired Mod

i think the custom chopper fad is good for the motorcycling community. it brings awareness to people that motorcycling is a great way to spend an afternoon or for a commuting option. thats about all they are good for.

as for the bikes themselves, there seems to be too much bolted on useless crap to be called a chopper. the chopper term came from the days when motorcyclists removed any excess metal or parts that were not needed to make it run. the big theme bikes are definately works of art and self expression but it has gotten way out of hand. when a motorcycle has a longer wheelbase than a schoolbus, something is definately wrong. and the prices. OMG. people bitch about the price of a $30,000 ducati 999r saying that its way over priced. but a long, low, heavy, underpowered, highly decorated "status symbol" is a steal at that price. i don't understand the logic???

and the people, that's a whole different story. everyone is worried about the image that they portray. they all say that they bought a chopper because "its rebellious and shows their individuality." then they all go out and buy the same black leather jacket to cover their occ shirts. they all wear the same flat black skid lid (if they even wear a helmet.) they invest tons of money on eagle tattoos. they grow the same nasty goatees and shave their heads with the same brand of razors. where's the individuality in that? and most of the time their bikes are not ridden but parked at a bar for hours on end only to tear off into the night and endanger the lives of everyone else.

well there's my rant for the week. hopefully i didn't make too many people mad.