Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

College stole my bike.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you go to a reasonably priced school and don't take out cost of living loans it ain't too bad. I got $127.15/mo for 20 years... Of course the dumbest thing is going to school half heartedly, not learning, and getting out of school with a piece of paper but no skills to get a decent job and then having to pay on loans...

-Chad

Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 AM

$1500 a month in studunt loans??? Where did you go Havard??

Old 08-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Didn't go to Harvard, but it was a private school. Halfway through school, the federal gov. pulled out of student lending. My options were to either drop out with nothing or take loans to cover that my grants and scholarships didn't.
I was thrown to the loan sharks (CitiBank, B of A, etc) who were charging 12+ percent on their student loans. I was told that I could consolidate/refinance my loans after graduation, but that never happened due to the credit market drying up. Thank g0d I don't have any credit card debt or else I would be really screwed.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by marc0011
I had to sell my bike to my brother for a $1 to keep it away from the repo man.
Uhm... that doesn't work / make sense. If you had a loan out for the bike, then you couldn't sell it to your brother without getting the title, and to get the title you'd have to pay off the loan.

They don't take random stuff from you just because you default. You get lousy credit for sure, but they don't just take random stuff from you unless the object is used as collateral...

Old 08-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am well aware of the damage this fiasco is causing to my credit... but there just isn't anything I can do. I keep applying jobs, but never get a response from anything I submit. I never used my bike for collateral, but debt collector was sending letters/calls saying that they would take the bike, tax return, and wage garnishment. I don't have the money for a lawyer to tell them they are wrong, so I just transfered the only thing that has any sort of value out of my name. Funny thing, I owed money on my taxes and for some reason that didn't want it?
So Phillyf4i, there are two things I can advise. Start looking for a job at least a year in advance before graduation. I was looking a year in advance and I still couldn't fine squat. Granted, graduating in 08 wasn't exactly the most opportune time to graduate. Hopefully things are better when you do though. Secondly, network as much as you can! I didn't do a whole lot of that because I was working all the time to save money for school, but I wish I would have done more... a lot more. It makes it so much easier in getting a foot in the door when you can get your resume hand delivered by someone that knows you. Then you can land that killer job with a nice salary and get yourself a RR!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:06 AM

I feds are still loaning, my loan was actually bought by the department of education. Having to go to personal loans doesn't add up. The Stafford program is still there. Sorry to here you got jacked, hope the private school education is paying back in executive pay.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:41 PM

marc0011 ...............ah hell.......I keep it too myself!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am well aware of the damage this fiasco is causing to my credit... but there just isn't anything I can do. I keep applying jobs, but never get a response from anything I submit. I never used my bike for collateral, but debt collector was sending letters/calls saying that they would take the bike, tax return, and wage garnishment. I don't have the money for a lawyer to tell them they are wrong, so I just transfered the only thing that has any sort of value out of my name. Funny thing, I owed money on my taxes and for some reason that didn't want it?
So Phillyf4i, there are two things I can advise. Start looking for a job at least a year in advance before graduation. I was looking a year in advance and I still couldn't fine squat. Granted, graduating in 08 wasn't exactly the most opportune time to graduate. Hopefully things are better when you do though. Secondly, network as much as you can! I didn't do a whole lot of that because I was working all the time to save money for school, but I wish I would have done more... a lot more. It makes it so much easier in getting a foot in the door when you can get your resume hand delivered by someone that knows you. Then you can land that killer job with a nice salary and get yourself a RR!!!!
Who was the debt collector? Vinny of the Gambini Family?

Unless it was, he was bluffing you. IRS can do that. A court can do that. Regular debt agency? Um, no.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:51 PM

One thing that helped me a ton was getting a paid working internship my last two years of college, made getting a decent job easy, that internship was more difficult to get than my first job out of college and I know the internship helped a ton.

-Chad

Old 08-23-2009, 10:33 PM

i got my bike w a student loan, lol
i had 21st century scholars tho, so that paid my tuition for the first 8 semesters
and the first 3 years i stayed at my parents so i didnt accumulate any debt
but my fourth year (last year) i had to get loans for cost of living and then this semester (my fifth) i had to get loans for tuition/living
so overall ive ended up with less debt than most ppl, now i get to go out into the economy and be unemployed like the rest of america... i wish you got unemployment for bein in school for 4 1/2 years, lol