F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My wife stole my bike!!!!! (only if I lower it for her)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My wife stole my bike!!!!! (only if I lower it for her)

So I bought my wife a 2006 Ninja 250R about a year ago to learn how to ride. So she decides to ride my bike for the first time and well needless to say she wants mine.

I told her sure you can have my bike, but that means I get a new CBR!!!!

Anyway, she wants me to lower it about 1" to 2". I called my local honda shop and they told me for the lowering link, shorter kickstand, and lowering the forks would be $205.

After reading about 50 threads about the bads of lowering a bike, I thought I would bring up this subject again.

Is it OK to lower your bike if you lower both the front and rear of the bike? Has anybody done this. Do I need to mess with the suspension? Also if I do lower the bike, will I still be able to ride it (5'10" about 235lbs)?

I'm looking for people who have actually lowered a bike and not people who just heard it's bad for the bike.

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'm 5' 10" but you got me by near 100 lbs

My F3 was lowered by its previous owner. She was a bit on the short side (5' 3"). As soon as I sat on it I felt like I was gonna knee myself in the chin

It was uncomfortable for me sitting on a lowered bike. I dunno how it handled being lower. Threw my balance completely outta whack enough that I had bought a stock dogbone the night I got the bike home and didn't ride it till I swapped it out.

Name:  IMG00055-20090629-1838.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  59.9 KB
Before

Name:  DSC00795.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  104.1 KB
After

Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 PM
July 2010 ROTM

i would imagine lowering it wouldnt be too bad just dont ride it like youre racing tho. the front wheel can hit the radiator if too low

Last edited by vangill; 08-19-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vangill
i would imagine lowering it wouldnt be too bad just dont ride it like youre racing tho. the front wheel can hit the radiator if too low
umm now thats false, you can bottom the forks out n it still wont hit the radiator.

Lowering a bike doesnt do anything positive for its handling, only negative. But how much it is noticed all depends on how you n your wife ride. Just be sure to lower the front the same amount as the rear. It doesnt hurt to take it to a good suspension guy after lowering it and have him set the suspension. Depending on the difference between your weight and your wifes weight, the bike should be set to your wifes weight.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:09 AM

I don't have an F4i, but I lowered my RR 2 inches at my local Honda dealer. I honestly can't tell the difference in the way it handles, but I can tell that I feel 100% more comfortable on it.

Also - I took my kickstand to a welder and had him cut and weld my kickstand for $30. That should save you $ if you skip that step. I actually took it to a Harley Davidson welder, they were very nice to me regardless of my sportbike . If you don't have a rearstand, this would probably not save you any money, because you'll need one to keep the bike up without the stand, obviously. I bought my rearstand at the Honda dealer so they kept it on that stand when they were finished working on it.

Edit: My friend rode my bike home for me when it was lowered. He is 6'3, ~280 lbs and he said he felt just fine (other than the fact that he isn't used to riding my type of bike).

Last edited by The Don Wan; 08-20-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 AM

I have all the parts to lower an F4i properly sitting in my garage.

Vortex Lowering link
shortened kickstand
Progressive springs and spacers for the front.

I can sell it all to you for cheap - I don't have a need for it and took it all off my bike because I was taking it to the track and needed all the clearance I could use. The previous owners wife rode this bike so it was lowered for her. $80cdn + shipping for all the parts. I've got paypal.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ I'd jump all over the deal above if I were gonna lower one. That's a great offer.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:21 PM

Hey I have an 02 F4I that has been lowered. When I bought it it was lowered 3 inches. I cornered with it all the time. Honestly I didn't like the way it felt. If you didn't know the difference one would never now. I lifted the bike back up one link. My link on the bike was adjustable. It now sits at about 2 inches. The bike felt completely new and light again. For your wife I would lower it two inches in the rear and set the suspension more for her weight. Will you be able to ride it yes, it will prolly be a slightly rougher ride and when you hit harder bumps you might occasionally bottom it out, but if its for your wife to ride 2 inches will be great on the bike. My link has 3 settings. The first is pretty much stock height the second position drops it almost 2 inches and the 3rd position is a 3 inch drop. If it is an adjustable lowering link with 3 postions I would set it at the 2nd position. My fiance is 5'3 and comfortable on my bike. Hopefully all this helps!!!!

Old 08-21-2010, 10:16 AM

I lowered my F4i 1" in the front and rear with no ill handling effects at all. Since then I've done some track events and lots of twisties, honestly there is no difference in handling. Just make sure that you lower the front the same amount as the rear and you'll be fine.

From what I've seen though, you definitely don't want to go much lower than 1.5" - 2" on the F4i as there will not be enough suspension travel and your handling will be affected.

Last edited by tundra; 08-21-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by tundra
I lowered my F4i 1" in the front and rear with no ill handling effects at all. Since then I've done some track events and lots of twisties, honestly there is no difference in handling. Just make sure that you lower the front the same amount as the rear and you'll be fine.

From what I've seen though, you definitely don't want to go much lower than 1.5" - 2" on the F4i as there will not be enough suspension travel and your handling will be affected.
That you noticed

Quick Reply: My wife stole my bike!!!!! (only if I lower it for her)