Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Cobalt SS/SC or SRT4??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobalt SS/SC or SRT4??

Which car and why??

Cobalt looks decent, engine isn't so spectacular

SRT-4 looks like crap, fantastic engine and mod-ability

Want something fast, handles good, and has to be a stick shift. I thought about the LS1 route (TA or Z) but a 4 banger makes sense.

Also considering an s2000.

Would be a daily driver for Dec-March (bike is daily driver when the roads dont have snow/ice and temp is above 25).

Just throw out thoughts!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:59 PM

Forgot to add, looking at a 10K price cap.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 PM

Dude, I've had nothing but trouble with my Cobalt..

Just do a google search on Cobalt and the power steering issues. They used an electronic type power steering that sucks ***. Whenever it wants the power steering motor decides to cut off. This is extremely dangerous. I drove for 2 days without power steering. Then a day later, it worked perfectly fine. People with the same issue have spent $1500 at the dealership to get the system replaced. And you would think, so the power steering motor is bad. Ok, so replace it. NO, Chevrolet with their brillance made the entire system an "assembly." Meaning that you have to replace the whole steering column. The motor is built into it..

There are over 200 filings with the NHTSA Recall Board about people having problems and some even having accidents.

Not to mention 3 months after I bought the car, I had to have it towed twice, TWICE!!! Brand new!! Something with the ECU.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:43 PM

Wow, had no idea it was that bad. Sounds like opti spark and the LT1 engine, maybe even worse.

Was the car fun to drive? Did you mod it at all?

Old 01-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know much about the cobalt, but what I do know is that the SRT-4 is a very basic setup, which works both as a good thing and a bad thing. By basic I mean, it's got no MAF, the ECU doesn't meter air so you could throw on a blow dryer to your intake tract and your motor wouldn't hiccup. This is also bad because potential problems would come on later down the line as you live in a place where cold/hot extremes do hit. Also, the SRT-4 doesn't normally come with LSD, wheel hop and tranny problems are really well known for srt-4's prior to engine mounts and people trying to launch them well. This is also a problem if it's going to be a winter daily driver and you're hitting snow. However, this means you could compensate with driver skill and you've got less power being tossed out because of drivetrain loss. If you want to race with it and highway racing is your thing, go for it. It doesn't handle that well (it can be modded to race well, but that is literally thousands in suspension/frame stability mods). Consider the SRT-4 is literally just a neon frame with a 200+ hp turbo motor thrown in and racey looking body panels, good handling starts with good tires and ends at how solid the chassis is.

If 10k is your cap, I'd suggest a Subaru WRX. A '02-'03 bugeye WRX (yes, the ugliest wrx ever made) was capable of 12's and 150+ mph with about $2-3000 in mods on stock tires. I'm an AWD fan, btw, so my opinion is biased.

Oh, and all of the claims I've made aren't just from forum racing (except for the handling thing, you can look up auto-x racing results and see how the stock srt-4's actually do when forced to take corners). Had a buddy with an SRT-4 with a 50 trim and almost everything else in the AGP catalog and hung out with a lot of subie guys when I was still in America.

Last edited by raylee; 01-02-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:57 AM

Neither?

I'd say follow your gut and get the s2000. The last posters said plenty, and I agree with them. Out of those three, I'd get the s2000. Otherwise, I'm loving the WRX suggestion.

Personally, off the top of my head I'd rather:
An 03 Accord. Sexy looking, and my exgirlfriends father had one, was a BLAST to drive. And it's a Honda:P

Mazda 3. Found an 08 one on autotrader for 10,000. Those are really fun to drive. I like the Mazda 6 a little bit better. A whole lot of fun in an auto-x, and loads of fun on corners, she just understeers a bit.

Dodge Charger. It's a Charger. Hot. Love it:P

05 RX-8. My brother has one. Holy fecal batman, it's amazing to drive. She's a bit of a gas hog though, even in stick. She's really comfortable for a coup though. Front and back.

You can find a bunch of great cars on autotrader. Or even craigslist for that matter... now if it's stolen or not.....

Those I'd pick just because I love those cars, and I've had a LOT of fun driving them. Hell, I have an 09 Corolla and I've taken it to auto-x. Had a BLAST.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:05 AM

Cobalts and SRT's are the new Civic. (not knocking on Civic owners, but you guys know what i'm talking about.) I have three subarus. the one set as my avatar is my favorite one, it's the 2005 2.5 RS. it's not turbo'd or anything, just a fun, quick car. mine has some mods, but nothing huge. however, with a good turbo/supercharger set up. it can push WELL over 300hp. it's got a nice high compression ratio.

i have a 2004 Legacy GT, it's the EJ25 motor out of the STi, with a little different tuning set up. 243bhp, and about 220awhp. it's a blast. very very quick. and it's a bit of a sleeper. you would never expect a 5 door legacy to destroy the rich kid's porsche.. but it does.

and lastly, the WRX. who doesn't want an all wheel drive race car, right off the show room floor. it's got everything you need. i think you should rethink your options good sir.

and as for the s2k, they're incredibly small, and insurance is outrageous no matter how old you are. a friend of mine has one.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

i have an 08 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V. nice little car. fast enough for me, 6 speed trans. handles well on the street. wouldnt know about trackability as i dont get that much into it. its a fun peppy little car. ive had no complaints sofar.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:19 PM

the sentra is a good deal... the cobalt and the above stated problems would be a no go... the srt, it looks liek crap and i refuse to pay up to that much for a car with out power windows all around.... the s2k, if u get one, i suggest get it now before the prices go thru the roof. they are now discontinued so they are going to be considered a rare car soon.

if u want power and reliability, i would say honda but im not even to sure about that anymore. the v6 6pseeds are fun as hell to drive tho and they have a decent aftermarket support. i would more or less go with a subaru wrx or other similar

Old 01-02-2010, 05:14 PM

WRX ftw?? I do like the Mazda 6's, but my only pet peeve with them, is that they've got one of the largest turning radii i've ever seen in my life.

Quick Reply: Cobalt SS/SC or SRT4??