Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

CCW - What do you carry?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a light hearted perspective on guns but here comes another UK viewpoint.
If you get a chance go see the new Harry Brown move staring Michael Cane. (I was lucky enough to go to the premier last night.)
This is a perfect illustration of why guns should not be legalised. As Juliet said earlier in this thread, if guns are not generally available over the counter it does at least reduce the odds against every nutter on the street being more likely to have one in their pocket.
Police in the UK do not carry guns on regular patrols.
It's a good example for the cops to set. If guns are involved at a scene, the cops will have armed response units in attendance in the blink of an eye don't worry about that.
I've fired plenty of guns and have many friends who own them sensibly.
I'm just so happy to be living in a society where the likelyhood of coming across someone in the street who may have one on them or worse still be able and willing to use one against me is a million to one chance.
Now it may be great to mess about with guns in persuit of recreation but are you really that happy about living in a society where you have to naturally suspect that anyone you meet may be pointing a piece at you through their pocket or handbag. I think it's very sad. I suppose you just take it for granted.
Before you reply to this, examine what you'd really like from your ideal culture.
Would it not be that your neighbours wouldn't dream of hurting your *** let alone popping a cap in it?
Is 'the right to bear arms' such a great thing in the long run or is the 'right to' the beginning of the need to?
Ghandi would have had some interesting comments on this thread.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:43 PM

I think your view of American culture is a bit off. Our country was founded on the basis of freedom. American's will fight for what we believe in, period.

American's generally don't walk down the street worried about getting shot, i rarely even see guns around except my own. I visit the same shops and gas stations regularly and have for atleast 15 years, and the owners are all happy to know that when i am there they feel safer. Making guns illegal will just make law abiding people be out gunned. Since when do criminals follow the law anyways.

I guess one would have to care what Ghandi thinks first. Guns have been in the hands of Americans since day 1. Trying to impose gun control or to think it would be possible to dissarm our population is simply crazy and something you don't understand. It's too late for that talk. Most people that own a gun, own 4 or 5 or 10 or 50. There are probably more guns in America then there are people. So all things considered we do NOT have a big problem over here.

My ideal culture would have guns, if for nothing else then for some good clean recreational target shooting on the weekends.

Name:  ammo003.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  132.6 KB

Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HenryM, old proverb
Locks keep out only the honest.
I wager the difficulty involved in getting a concealable weapon into the UK has more to do with the lack of proliferation among the criminal element than anything else. Legal or illegal, a criminal that wants a gun will get a gun. I mean the cocaine is illegal in the UK isn't it? Has making it illegal stopped its use there? The Right to Bear Arms here in the US is just to level the playing field for those who want to.

I hate to say this but I know its true: there's a nutter in every country, every city that'd have shot Ghandi given the opportunity. Simply because, to quote Michael Caine from another movie...
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

As Kuroshio said, criminalizing firearms only prevents law-abiding citizens from obtaining them and being able to protect themselves against violent criminals, who will obtain firearms by illegal means regardless. But I'm not going to get into a debate. I understand your rationale, but I don't believe it would work here in the US. Alcohol kills way more people than guns ever will. We tried making that illegal a few years ago, and all it got us was organized crime.
As to living in an "ideal culture", take a stroll through the Southside of Chicago, South Central LA, Five points in Denver, and ask the locals how they feel about that.
My wife, who was a big anti-gun proponent (before I came around, muahaha), always expresses how she feels comfortable knowing I carry all the time, and now keeps a .38 revolver at the house in the event somebody wants some and I'm not home.
Here's an oldie but goodie: "Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 PM

Food for thought for the UK anti-gunners.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1566715.stm

http://gunowners.org/sk0703.htm

"You are more likely to be mugged in England than in the United States," stated the Reuters news agency in summarizing the study. "The rate of robbery is now 1.4 times higher in England and Wales than in the United States, and the British burglary rate is nearly double America's."6 The murder rate in the United States is reportedly higher than in England, but according to the DOJ study, "the difference between the [murder rates in the] two countries has narrowed over the past 16 years."

Over the last 70 years, Europe has averaged about 400,000 murders per year, when one includes the murders committed by governments against mostly unarmed people. That murder rate is about 16 times higher than the murder rate in the U.S

Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 PM

I carry the same weapon as the OP. Springfield armory sub-compact XD.40 w/ hollow points. i carry it in a Crossbread Super tuck IWB holster, which is by far the best holster i have ever used for concealed carry, and yes i carry frequently.

i carry for many of the reasons already listed: In the past 2 years i have heard of more attacks and home invasions then i care to think about. including the 20 something people in the past week who have died at Ft Hood and the office building in Florida. 2 months ago a man was stopped by a local officer and found with 5 pipe bombs, a sawed off shot gun, a bullet proof vest and a ski mask. 2 years ago in cheshire... literally 5 miles from my home, there was a home invasion, the wife and 2 daughters were raped and murdered, the father was beaten to within inches of his life, and thier home was set on fire, the "invaders" had no guns.... neither did the family.

i agree that it would be nice to live in a world where i didn't feel it was necessary to carry a gun, but the truth is, that that is NOT the world we live in.

one of my favorite quotes is that "an armed society is a polite society." i personally am a supporter of OPEN carry. i think it should be a requirement to open carry. concealing is what makes people edgy, no one knows who is and who isn't. if some gang banger walked into a liqueur store with the intent to rob it and saw that 3 customers and the 2 clerks behind the counter had a gun on their hips, chances are he/ she would have second thoughts.

I can understand why people are opposed to guns, and yes, if it was possible to make them ALL disappear at once then yes, there might be a solution there. but like pretty much everyone else has said. making them illegal is not going to stop the people who are already breaking laws from getting them... then they KNOW that the person they are going to mug, or the gas station they are going to rob will NOT have a gun, and there is nothing that might stop them.

i refuse to be a victim, and i refuse to stand idly while my friends and/or family become victims

Old 11-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Post Henry ,,,,,,,eh ......I'm afraid I'm gonna have to disagree with you

Ah now Henry , I'm a afraid equating movies to real life is well
"unrealistic" to say the least and naive at best. I'd think you need to
take into consideration the "CCW" piece of this thread .................
CCW means people with permits to carry concealed weapons for defense
purposes. Licensed individuals who through the process of being given a
permit to carry have met a fairly rigorous set of criteria and federal back
ground checks ......before being allowed to lawfully carry a concealed a
weapon.

Moving away from CCW to regular firearm ownership .......that too in most
States comes with a whole slew of qualifying crtieria and Federal & sometimes
State Law Enforcement background checks, the applicant has
to subject themselves to, before being allowed to legally possess a firearm.

You don't just walk into a store buy a newspaper, packet of smokes, coffee
and oh let me have an AR 15 and 3000 rounds of ammo here in the US

But you could go to the right establishment in London with 800 nicker and
do just precisely that no problem either !.......get my point.

So in my humble opinion the manner in which you are seeing this is not
quite the way of the world ..........with all due respect to you.

To me having the UK Police Force unarmed and outgunned by professional
criminals is not something I would not find favourable to the general well
being of UK law enforcement.

Henry...........what the heck has Ghandi got to do with it anyway ??

One last thing, a bullet will kill a Police Officer in far less time than the
blink of an eye...........unarmed Cops calling for armed backup is not
a very good way of keeping Police Officers alive.

it's how I see it from my perspective. I respect even though I do
not agree with your perspective as well..........that's it my 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted by HenryM
I know this is a light hearted perspective on guns but here comes another UK viewpoint.
If you get a chance go see the new Harry Brown move staring Michael Cane. (I was lucky enough to go to the premier last night.)
This is a perfect illustration of why guns should not be legalised. As Juliet said earlier in this thread, if guns are not generally available over the counter it does at least reduce the odds against every nutter on the street being more likely to have one in their pocket.
Police in the UK do not carry guns on regular patrols.
It's a good example for the cops to set. If guns are involved at a scene, the cops will have armed response units in attendance in the blink of an eye don't worry about that.
I've fired plenty of guns and have many friends who own them sensibly.
I'm just so happy to be living in a society where the likelyhood of coming across someone in the street who may have one on them or worse still be able and willing to use one against me is a million to one chance.
Now it may be great to mess about with guns in persuit of recreation but are you really that happy about living in a society where you have to naturally suspect that anyone you meet may be pointing a piece at you through their pocket or handbag. I think it's very sad. I suppose you just take it for granted.
Before you reply to this, examine what you'd really like from your ideal culture.
Would it not be that your neighbours wouldn't dream of hurting your *** let alone popping a cap in it?
Is 'the right to bear arms' such a great thing in the long run or is the 'right to' the beginning of the need to?
Ghandi would have had some interesting comments on this thread.

Last edited by Sprock; 11-12-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Agreed. I don't believe that UK police should be unarmed, either. Kinda like the old saying "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away."
I don't think it's too wise to send any officers into a situation where they are gonna be outgunned. And not just outgunned, but basically sitting ducks.

And on the matter of gun ownership in the US... I agree with you on that too, sprock. If you get caught with a marijuana cigarette over here, you are banned from owning a gun... period. It doesn't take much at all. Heck, in my state the sheriff can refuse to give you a concealed carry permit even if you have a totally clean record, but they decide that something about your character is questionable! Hell, if you've been diagnosed as depressed, you'll lose your rights, too.
And if you get caught illegally carrying a gun over here, you get jail time.
There are certainly some misconceptions about US gun ownership, and I strongly believe that the good guys should have a right to even the playing field against the bad.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Uh huh there KilgoreTrout all that and then some. It takes very little to be
disqualified from being able to legally purchase a gun and even less to
being refused a permit to legally carry concealed as well.

Domestic Disputes , Combative Divorce , restraining orders all that stuff will do it as well.

There is scarcely a country on this planet where illegal gun purchases cannot be
made ......and that's a fact too.

Last edited by Sprock; 11-12-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a bit off the subject, but the figures speak for themselves.............

Gun History

After reading the following historical facts, read the part
about Switzerland twice.

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control.. From 1929 to 1953,
about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded
up and exterminated.

------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million
Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total
of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were
rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million
political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000
Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000
Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million
educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

-----------------------------

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century
because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by
new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their
own Government, a programme costing Australian taxpayers more than $500
million dollars. The first year results are now in:

List of 7 items:

Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.

Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.

Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300
percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the
criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in
armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the
past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is
unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the
ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public
safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was
expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The
Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the evening news, or hear politicians
disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes,
gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens

Take note South Africans and citizens of the world, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favour of gun control, please remind them
of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'.

Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WWII the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew
most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti-gun control message
to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in
defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more
important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is
supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!

SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT TO WHOM THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.

SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!

IT'S A NO-BRAINER!

DON'T LET YOUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF YOUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW-ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

Just think how powerful your government is getting!

They think these other countries just didn't do it right.

Learn from history.

Quick Reply: CCW - What do you carry?