Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

CCW - What do you carry?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buncha cool guns! Weatherbys are nice. I have a Rem700 in 30-06 for the bigger game here. I actually don't have a semi shotgun anymore. I had a Charles Daly autoloader for a while, but sold it.
I grew up with pump guns, and I like them. I have a Mossy 500 pump in .410, a single shot NE .410, a Winchester 1300 20ga, an Ithaca 37 20ga and 12ga, and an Ithaca 87 DS Police Special 12ga.

That's cool that your girl shoots, too. Mine has a glock .40 and a Springer 9mm. She likes the Mossberg .410 best, though, because she can blow chit apart with minimal effort...

The SKS stock came that color. The sanding/linseed oil actually made it slightly darker. The gun was mint when I picked it out (buddy called me when the shipment came in, and i got to pick it out). It looked brand new, so I figured it was a reman one. The stock was new and unfinished, and all the numbers match with the stock, so I took it. Nice gun for $120.

I'm at work atm, but maybe when I get home I'll slap up some more pics of some of my other stuff. Gun **** is awesome..

Old 11-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(sorry for crappy cell phone photo, cant find regular camera at the moment)

Bottom one is my wifes carry gun, a taurus PT-145, 10+1.

Next one up is my carry choice, a full size XD-45, 13+1. I also use this to compete in some of the matches at the local shooting range. Bowling pin tourneys are my favorite of the moment.

Top is the first gun my father gave to me a few years ago. Its a Bulgarian made Makarov in 9x18 cal. for those that dont know it right between a 9mm luger(9x19) and .380(9x17) Good little shooter and lots more comfortable with oversized grip. (i have big mitts)

Caliber is always a topic for debate and like others earlier, comfort level is priority. I have shot most anything and am most comfortable with the 45. I want something that will put down a target RIGHT NOW. i carry +p COR-BON hollowpoints as well. But i am also not recoil sensitive like some are.

with all the shooters here does anyone reload?

Gonna throw another swerve in the topic, whats yalls favorite reactive target. My personal favorite is watermelons and recently pumpkins since halloween is over with. pokin holes in paper gets old after awhile. another favorite is a thing called Tannerite. it only goes off with a high powered rifle and makes quite a thump when it goes off (search for it on youtube, its awesome)

Old 11-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I typically carry my Glock 23 .40 cal for concealed carry. I recently switched from a S&W Chief's Special .45 cal. My duty weapon is a Glock 21 .45 cal. I'll post up some gun **** in a little bit lol

Old 11-09-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by fuze
Nice Pyramid LOL ! I paid about the same, $250 for the Ruger .22. My girlfriend mainly shoots it when we go out to the range, or the .22 mag rifle. She has shot my .40 and 9mm because i wanted her to atleast put a clip through them but she is pretty deadly with the Ruger.

Im jealous of the pyramid though haha. I don't have that much 7.62 ammo i've been sinking my cash into 9mm ammo filling up the new ammo can.

Here the plinker rifle sitting beside the 300 Whetherby Mag

And just for the sake of gun **** heres the 20guage that sleeps beside the bed.

I like the stock of your SKS, sanding it down lightened up the wood grain nicely ? Ours like almost identical.
is that a remington 870 express youth model? ive had one for about 12 years, god knows how many thousands of rounds ive put through it.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:26 PM

Yup it is ! My first gun was a .410 break action shotgun and when i turned 9 my parents let me trade up to the .20 guage. Had it since then and im 27 now. Mine has thousands through it by now too and still shoots like a dream. That's why she's my #1 go to gun for home defense. Will have this gun till i go to the grave.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Administrator - Retired

with all the shooters here does anyone reload?
I do, sparks. I reload .45ACP, .380, .223, and 7.62x39 (rarely because wolf is so cheap).
I'm probably gonna end up with some dies for 30-06, too. The other calibers that I shoot a lot (9mm & .40, mostly) are still cheap enough that it isn't worth it.

I also used to reload 20/12ga because I shot a TON of trap, but it's easier to just buy wally world bulk packs. (And nearly the same price).

On the reactive target thing, I shoot whatever I can find. I shoot a lot of clays, just because I have about 50 cases of them ($2 case in the clearance aisle at k-mart.. )
I used to shoot a lot of plastic coke bottles filled with water, too, just because they are readily available. But you're right... produce is fun...
I love the .223 hornady v-max in the AR. They obliterate chit. I'd love to hunt some prairie dogs with them...judging from what they do to groundhogs and crows.

My first gun was a .410 break action shotgun and when i turned 9 my parents let me trade up to the .20 guage.
My dad bought me one of those for squirrels when I was about that age, too. I gave it to my boy for his 10th birthday last year. It's one of those New England Arms "Pardner" types. Heck of a gun, really, and a great first shotgun for kids. I killed a ton of squirrels with it.

I also know how you feel about a certain shotgun. My brand was always Ithaca, which is why I own so many. My first "real" pump was that 20ga Model 37 (made in 1948!). I don't even know how many rounds I've put through that gun. I broke the carrier at probably the 3k mark, and Ithaca sent me a new one for $6 shipped!
That gun is like an extension of my body...seriously. I love that feeling.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 PM

There is nothing like it is there ! It's like the gun watched you grow up and you have history together. One day when i have a boy i will probably start him off with a .410 also.

My grandpa gave me his Daisy air rifle when i was a wee little kid. Well i eventually wore it out and sent it into daisy just this year so they could fix it. Unfortunately it was so old they couldnt, so they sent it back, along with a brand new air rifle with a scope on it. I was impressed

But there is nothing like the gun you grew up with and still have.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder something. We ride. We're very enthusiastic about our guns... Anyone else getting the feeling we'd be right at home in the old West?

And yeah, I love horseback riding though I haven't done it in years

Old 11-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MMMM, gun ****......

Some evil black rifles:

My first AR-15
Name:  DSC_0066.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  8.3 KB

My "bump in the night" gun.
Name:  DSC_0061.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  7.8 KB

The next two are both BAR-10s (.308/7.62x51)

Name:  DSC_0063.jpg
Size:  6.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0062.jpg
Size:  6.8 KB

AR controls with .308 thump.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator - Retired

Right on, fuze... it's something that some people may not quite understand...but I hear you. And it appears there are quite a few riders here that get it, too. That's cool as hell.
It's making that long shot you've been working on... or shooting your first perfect trap round. It's time spent with friends and family. It's a passion, really.

Kuroshio, I think you're on to something. I've wondered the same thing. There has to be a connection.....

Ko67, you've got some very nice evil ones there!

Here are a few from my stash. There are more in the bedroom and at my old man's house, too.
The pic at the bottom is just some .223 reloads I just finished up. Speer brass, 55gr FMJBT, Ramshot TAC. It's my plinker round that I worked up. Very accurate. I'm working on some different 35gr v-max loads.

Name:  IMG_0079.jpg
Size:  76.2 KB
Colt AR-15 6721, Mossy plinker, Winchester 1300, Ithaca 37, M39, Rem700 (30-06)

Name:  IMG_0080.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  75.4 KB
Bushy AR M4 Patrol, Ithaca 87 DS Police, NE .410, Browning Auto, Mossy 500.
Name:  IMG_0082.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  97.4 KB

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 11-09-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: CCW - What do you carry?