Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Biking Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biking Experience

Would (BMX) biking help you out with anything at all on a street bike? hook me up with your .02 $ thnx

Old 09-25-2007, 08:25 PM
Default RE: Biking Experience

My .02: not really... but I never raced and/or stunted BMX or anything. We'll see what others have to say.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:07 PM

SURE!!!! There was an article a few months back in sport rider or something about all the MotoGP racers and their work-outs, and allot of them cycled, mostly road bikes, but touted their benefit. Now, of course, my .02 here, I am big into competitive shooting, and I practice trigger control and sight piture with an airsoft when at the house, and I can say that it has greatly increased my scores. Now, while an airsoft is in no way shape or form like shooting a 1911 in IDPA or Bullseye matches, other than the fact it is a "pistol", same might be said for stunting around on a BMX and getting a feel for weight and balance, and transition those learned skills onto another platform like a sportbike. Funny as I read this cause picking my boys up from the after school program, there was this kid, couldn't have been more than 6, riding a wheelie doin tight circles around the playground, over bumps, jumping up on curbs and all, and keeping it on one wheel and in control, I watched that thinking, man, I wish I could do that, thats pretty tight

Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 PM

I noticed early on, riding a sportbike, that the feel one has for the front end (when it starts to break loose) is similar. I've trained my muscles to react instinctively to any sudden deviations from the norm, in front end slides, on gravel, oil, etc. I would attribute this muscle memory to my years on a BMX moto, ridin' ravines in No. Calif. and downhillin' on Mt. Tamalpais on a Mtn. Bicycle. Jus' mah two cent. Love your Avatar, btw! Pace, Gris.
"Fight for peace?"

Old 09-26-2007, 05:47 AM

I think more then anything, skills learned bmx-ing would be helpful if you wanted to take up stunting sportbikes. Otherwise I wouldn't think it would help as much with the other skills necessary to operate a motorcycle, but it would still be benificial.

Kind of like how skaters ask me if they could pick up snowboarding faster than the average person off the street. OF COURSE IT WOULD HELP! WHAT KIND OF A STUPID QUESTION IS THAT???

j/k!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 AM

The last time i checked moto x bikes wont do 0-60 in 3 seconds ...so its a whole new ball game as far as im concerned..and riding in traffic at peak rush hour without some sense of direction will get you killed....LOL...good luck with that....

Old 09-26-2007, 08:40 AM
Retired Moderator

I'm not sure if it would help at all. Even the transition from dirt bike to street bike seems to be vastly different (and vice versa). I've never been on a dirt bike before, but I'll bet I couldn't get on one today and ride the same as I do on the street (not that I am that good), for example. That's my opinion in all its horrible glory.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 AM

I use to ride BMX when I was in my teens, rode dirt bikes too....dont think BMX will help at all, street bikes are around 400lbs and fast....bmx bikes can only go as fast as you can pedal...

voodoochyl Dirt bikes I think are easier to ride, although I have been riding them alot longer then street bikes...and your not going to ride a dirt bike on the street the same as a street bike, nor would you take a street bike through some trails...two totally different bikes...

Old 09-26-2007, 11:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the only real thing you can learn from riding a bicycle would be understanding countersteering and the fact that a bike acts on a gyro. Aside from that, the power difference greatly changes the physical characterisitics of operating a mc.