Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Bad insurance pay out

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad insurance pay out

I guess a lot here have delth with this kind of thing so I'm hoping for some help as I'm stuck.

I am third party on my cbr f3, ''had'' around 35k miles and bought for £1200 (and insured as such). It ran completely fine engine wise after I changed filters/chain/sprocket, it was a smooth as butter. A few weeks back a lady reversed into it while I was in the shop.

The bike took a topple onto it's right side but was not hit very hard. Both brake levers were slightly bent and a bit damage to the vent fairing where it meets the protective engine bar. Upon trying to turn the bike over it died out within 3 seconds, all power gone including light display. From that I figured the battery took a hammering and also assumed carb issue. Some clear liquid was dripping from the bike but not a lot and not for long, I'd guess it was from the battery but I'm no mechanic.

Nobody was hurt, she accepted responsibility and I contacted Hastings, my insurance company won't help as I am only third party. Hastings third party mechanics company called copart came and took the bike and within a day or two wrote it off as catB.

Then Hastings offered me £600 and I laughed in amazement. I refused it as you simply can not buy that bike with that kind of mileage and in ''decent'' condition for less than £1100 on a good day. The next offer they gave me was £800 and that's still a joke, that puts me out of pocket £400 not to mention the £140 service I carried out and what ever time/expense I will and have suffered in trying to sort this and get a new bike.

After that I rang my insurer back and they are useless, they won't even send over the value the bike is insured for. They did say that it's like the next offer Hastings give me will be the last (although I expect 800 to be the last). So I don't really know what to do now. What is the point of insurance if the innocent party is left £600 out of pocket and has no bike?, any ideas on what to do?.

I really can't get my head around how they evaluate these bikes, no trade market has that bike in that condition for less than £1200 on avg ;/.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anybody was interested I kinda got it sorted to a some what ok deal. They finally offered £1100 after quite a few calls, emails for proof of purchase value/insurance value cover and general market value at current. It wasn't easy and I don't feel truly compensated for the efforts involved in getting that offer. But well, it's better than the first £600 offer and I can't be bothered to go through court over £100 ;/ (fos would not help on account of me not being insured by Hastings). In all I'm down around £250 pound and have wasted a **** load of time, also have not had a bike for the last 3 weeks and maybe not for another month or so until I save again to buy something, maybe an f4i or vfr fi. I wish I had took the hire bike offer they gave me at the start.. but I thought I'd help them out to make things as quick as possible. Nice guys come last right.

Anyway moral of the story, if somebody hits your bike you are the one who will be doing all the work and losing money. Your insurance company wont help if you are not fully comp and being fully comp does not guarantee you will end up with a good pay out either.. you just save the leg work.

Also be cautious if your bike has a catC on it or if you are buying one that has.. the insurance company can (and did with me) cat B your bike on cosmetic damage alone due to the precious catC. They could have fixed the bike for no more than £450 but lied and said it would cost 3k. They refused to send me the engineers report (read it out over phone) even though I am entitled to it. They are running a scam on old bikes.. catb > break for parts > profit. Really, avoid a cat C bike if you can.

Last edited by flowki; 07-21-2019 at 01:57 PM.