Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Insure Yourselves & Your Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insure Yourselves & Your Bike

To anyone in the process of getting a bike, whether it's your first or an upgrade, I have this tip for you:
INSURE YOURSELVES as well as your bike.

Motorcycling's a risk, a risk that we embrace. And if you're willing to get on a motorcycle, you're probably willing to go without health insurance to save some cash to spend on another mod for your bike. I did that without thinking twice because I thought I was invincible on my bike, I paid attention at all times, and I knew that if I were to get into an accident, it would be because of someone else's mistake; not mine.

I did get into an accident, and it was someone else's fault. They pulled out of a side street to make a left turn and "didn't see me". Problem was, the person who hit me was 18 (which means she was responsible for herself and I can't sue her parents) and had nothing. Also she was carrying minimal coverage insurance, which means I only can get $15,000 for my medical expenses. A few days in the hospital and three surgeries, x-rays, and MRIs ballooned the bill to $300,000. So I'm in the hole $285,000 for something that wasn't my fault.

This is not to scare you out of riding.

Just please be smart about insuring yourself. Make sure you have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage for your bike and especially a good health insurance plan. I had neither and I'm paying for the gamble I took.

Don't do what I did.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Default RE: Insure Yourselves & Your Bike

Get yourself a lawyer and go after her. Most hospitals will agree to let you make no interest payments on your bill, and since she was at fault you can go after her for damages. If she's smart she'll enter into a payment agreement with you through the court for the medical bills. Don't let her get away with that just because she didn't have enough insurance. There's no reason you should be in debt for 300 large just because she didn't look both ways. Even if she has nothing she's still responsible for causing you injury.

Old 06-06-2006, 12:40 AM
Default RE: Insure Yourselves & Your Bike

thats why i pay 2,000 a year for my bike ins...awsome coverage but high price. also took out more life ins at work

06 cbr 1000rr