Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Am I too fat/heavy for a CBR600?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hangfire
The whole debate usually boils down to the good ole american bigger is better philosophy vs. common sense.

Personally, I don't own a liter because I need the extra power, I own one because I enjoy the extra power. After riding 600's and 750's for so long (many moons) I've become kinda accustomed to the sensation and it doesn't deliver the same thrill anymore, and if people are honest with themselves the thrill of riding is a large part of why we all ride. I've also gotten "most" of the hooliganism out of my system and ride a little more conservatively now than when I was newer in the scene so I trust myself on them.

But like I said, I don't need a liter, I enjoy it though. The broader power band, the harder pull, the lesser need to shift as often, the lower cruising rpms, these are some of the things I enjoy about it. But buying a liter is a waste for anyone not totally acclimatized to the sensation of pure speed 600's put out, and is in fact flatout dangerous unless you have good throttle control, self control, and experience. There's really no "need" to ever own a liter, but there are understandable reasons to desire one, though most of them are only applicable to long-time riders who are used to and slightly tired of the 600s impressive powerband.

Bragging rights, sadly, is not on the list of good reason to want a liter but is sadly alot of peoples main reason for getting one.
Um, I think you're needed here Hangfire
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showpost....6&postcount=17

Old 10-30-2009, 06:01 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exodus1080
haha not to mention that a litre is way more power than anyone needs anyways.
LOL, I have almost as much of an issue with this statement. That's a totally personal choice.

Over on the Ninja boards, all I hear is "blah blah nobody ever needs more than a 250, people who ride bigger bikes are just egomaniacs who can't ride." That annoys me.

Just ride smart and don't ride over your limits, doesn't matter what you ride. I'll even give busas a pass if you know what you're doing with it

Old 10-30-2009, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Elfling
LOL, I have almost as much of an issue with this statement. That's a totally personal choice.

Over on the Ninja boards, all I hear is "blah blah nobody ever needs more than a 250, people who ride bigger bikes are just egomaniacs who can't ride." That annoys me.

Just ride smart and don't ride over your limits, doesn't matter what you ride. I'll even give busas a pass if you know what you're doing with it
My riding mentor, a guy who i met and had a stock F2 and would out ride ANYONE, it was amazing to be taught so much riding theory, straight line riders never impressed me , but seeing my bud absolutly leave whay bigger bikes in the dust, they would always want to know what he did to the bike "very calmly smile and say its stock". seeing him shred a corner made me want to ride for real. Riding abilty is absolutly everything, not the size of the bike.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride regularly with a group which has both 600 and 1000 bikes. I would say this - the 600 is a great allround bike, but the guys who used to ride solo and have now found passengers, do have a problem where accelleration is concerned.
With your all up weight, I would look at an older 1000 bike (def not a recent model) - and perhaps go from there. A 1000F would cost you pennies compared to a newer 600 or 1000 but would allow you to get to grips with riding the bike, and perhaps moving up later.
Without a passenger, an F3/4 and a 1000F are pretty even on accelleration (mine is) but add a pillion, and it all goes backwards for the 600 after that. Your all up weight wouldn't bother a 1000F at all, and would be a good place to start, as they aren't as mental as the newer 1000RR and others.
Remember though that 1000f weighs 550lbs and isn't generally viewed as a starter bike, but given the usage, and your height and weight combination, it should be fine.
FWIW

Last edited by Shadow; 10-30-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by jgos929
I completely disagree with everyone. 350lbs + on a 600 is laughable. As I have said on here before everyone that spent hard earned $$$ on a 600, 6 months later wishes they would have bought a 1000. You and your girl on a 1000 will be effortless. Also the whole starting on a 250 thing is a joke. Plenty of peoples first bikes were 1000's and there is a pretty good chance that most of them are still alive. Keep your wrist out of the throttle and you'll be fine. 1 last thing why in the world would you buy an 08 600 when you can get a new 08 1000 for the same price or cheaper??? Marinate on that for a bit before you go and waste your money.
hahahahhaah that sentences alone shows how ignorant you are of the whole reason you dont start off on a 1000 lol...

Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 AM
Banned

i would also like to add.....none of the bikes were designed with a passenger in mind

dont plan on going on any multiple day cross country rides 2 up with either of the two.....just not going to be fun imho

the ideology of the 1000 vs 600 is getting to be almost an old wifes tale these days with the manufacturers dropping the weight and size of the newer liter bikes to be as close to the 600's as todays bikes are
and the fact that you have todays 600's coming out of the box with over 100 hp at the wheel is absolutely amazing
what were the liter bikes of the early to mid 90's pushing?

none of these bikes are safe for someone who is not going to be responsible.....period

but i can tell you this......i have more fun pushing my 600 around the track....than i do with my 1k on the street

its all going to come down to a personal preference.....try to do as many test rides as you can.....see if there is even someone willing to lend you a 600 or a liter bike for a day
then make your choice

Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 AM

I apologize I was not around to defend myself yesterday. Being a Real Estate attorney and with the market the way it is day by day its either busy or dead. Yesterday was very busy. Its nice to know that when someone makes a post that starts with "I completely disagree" their going to be attacked and have to go on the defense. Mods sure is a great site you have here. If I may I will respond 1 at a time.

Originally Posted by Juliet
Not me :-)

I always bought 600s and never regretted buying them ... there is also a world of difference between the power delivery of an early 600 and a new 600RR, I only ride solo though and my 600RR blows my mind the same as it did 6 months ago, it's just *that* responsive ... I will never tire of it's power, more than enough for me :-)

Check this post out to see how responsive it is...

https://cbrforum.com/forum/sights-n-sounds-7/video-show-throttle-response-cbr600rr-just-5-000rpm-102727/

Jules :-)
If you are in fact the person in any of your pictures then your response means nothing. Your all of what 100+ lbs??? The op is more than two times your size not including the passenger he was talking about riding with. I'm glad you like your 600.

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
you must hang with some real dumbasses. I dont know a soul that has bought a 600 that has regretted it and wanted a 1k instead, And I know and converse with 100's of riders daily. The only ppl I know who think like that cant ride for shyt and have the mentality that if you dont have a liter you dont have a real bike. And like I said those fools cant ride for shyt.
For someone who calls himself "God" you make an awful lot of assumptions. "God" doesn't assume "God" knows. You know nothing about me or who my friends are or who I ride with. Just because you know and converse with 100's of riders daily on other forums who again you probably know nothing about means absolutely nothing to me. I don't look down on anyone for what they ride and in fact encourage them to ride with me.

And check your stats, only fools start out on 1ks. No not all of them are dead, but most wish they used some common sense and started smaller. Its not about money, its about learning to ride and being a good rider, not boost your phuqing ego n bragging rights. Where are these stats and again why do you assume to know anything about me? Most of who wish they started smaller? Who are these people you "know" that want to trade down from their 1K to a 600? Since you claim to know everybody I'll say I have never met anyone that has wished they started smaller because they used some common sense, didn't act stupid and got comfortable with their 1K. Where does money come into this? New CBR1K's are going for as much as a new 600 right now so where this money thing came from I dont know???

And a 600 can ride 2up just fine. I willing to beat my 10yo 600 2up will leave you n your 1k in the dust here in the mtns. All this talk of ego's it was only a matter of time before you brought yours out. Thats a bet I'd be more than happy to take.

So marinate on that!!!

Originally Posted by 2H company
lolol, PlayfulGod, right to the point as always.

I'd totally support 600. I started on 600 with no experience at all. Went down once and it made much better rider now, careful about the throttle . I guess my age + 600CC street bike were meant to go down in the beginning

I bet '08RR will have all the power you need and much much more.
Well said

Originally Posted by bambam
sorry charlie, its not giving good advise to tell a first time sportbike rider to get a 1000, its just not. I never told him to get one I simply said think about it. as for starting out a smaller bike is a smarter move, there are things you should learn as forinstance traffic, being very confident with bike control, readiness to handle corners at speed, braking and how late you can brake and get away with. my F2 was way more eazy to handle than my 900 RR or my 929 FACT. and ive rode the 900 for 3 years and i still can say that it is a lot more than just layin off the throttle. i know guys that have started out on liter bikes and i think their riding has suffered cause they dont look very confident in their riding on that big bike because they never had a bike they could handle eazily. Also case in point there is a bike junk yard not to far out of town and i was lookin around and i counted 38 bikes 900 and up, and 10 600's, i asked about it and the owner said the big bikes go down more often. I dont know how this is relevant judging from all the junk yards in all the world with all different makes, models and sizes of bikes in them I still love the 600 bike and always will , I ride a big bike cause i like the big bike,funny thats 1 reason I ride mine but it would have killed me if i would have had one 16 years ago when i started riding sportbikes.You will never know PG your right on time with said advise. you must concider general public safety when given peeps advise not just opinions, the last thing you would want is to get someone hurt here.
If I'm held to be responsible for someone getting hurt or PlayfulGod forbid something worse because a suggestion was made to think about getting a bigger bike then shame on all of you for any suggestions or advice you have ever givin. You all should know any of us can go at anytime for any reason. A person on a bicycle can go just as quick as a person on a 1K. I'm offended by that comment and its a shame you made it.

I'm sorry, but you're on crack with this statement.
I'm trying to get off of it I really am !!!

Originally Posted by HenryM
I'll admit here and now that I bought my Cane just cos it was there and a good price. The exact reason I bought my 1st bike, its hard to pass up a good deal I didn't go purposely looking for a 1K motor. What really sold it was the seat. It's good for passengers unlike the postage stamps they seem to put on most bikes these days.
I've been riding for quite a while, had some time when I didn't have a bike except a little run around but I think the clear message coming through this thread is simple. If you're going to ride, do it carefully no matter what size engine you got between your legs. May as well just turn yourself in at the undertakers before you get taken there rigid if you don't think like that.
So far the most intelligent thing said.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I've seen guys as big as the OP on 600s. With girls bigger than me on the back. They don't seem to have any problem riding a 600.I never said the guy would have a problem I said its not enough I mean its not like any (sane) is planning to race while 2up with a combined weight of 350+. A liter bike might come in handy under those circumstances...Someone doing that should not be riding period But probably so will a squeegee and plastic baggies for the mess later

Something I learned real quick when I first started riding, what they tried to hammer home during the BRC too: Riding is as much (if not more) about confidence as it is actual skill. So yeah, some people need to start on 600s. Some need to find a nice Ninja 250 to start. Some will never have the confidence in what they know to be anything more than a danger to themselves and others. The OP seems to have a good foundation to build on with his dirt / atv skills.

So I'd say go with the 600. Especially since there are 2 other major things to consider:
  • how much experience does he have riding with a passenger
  • how much experience does the passenger have being a passenger
You're riding 2up with someone you care about. Do you really want to add to the risk with a powerful bike and a lack of experience doing so? Well said which is why I only ride solo

P.S.
Just thought of another thing... Your gf might grow to like riding enough to want her own one day. And you might like her enough to give her one. And hey, lookie there! A nice 600 for her and an excuse to go buy that 1000, all wrapped in one
Originally Posted by Hangfire
Pretty good chance eh? Wow that's.. um.. comforting. Should put that in ads. "Buy a Literbike, there's a good chance it won't kill most of you!! Half the time it doesn't kill you all the time!" Quoting Anchorman very good

Liters are a straight up stupid choice for anyone as a first street bike. Another opinion here "God" where are to crucify this hethan??? Do you realize how unbelievably rediculous that statement was? Anytime you see postings like that or hear people say things like that it's always some guy who just stroking his bragging rights about his literbike. Again with the assumptions. I dont brag or claim to better because I own a litre bike. Liter's require far more precise throttle control to do anything, including things as simple as slight turns.

For the record I just picked up another literbike, I've been riding sportbikes for around fifteen years which means nothing and this isn't my time riding a liter and at times it still spooks me. For someone new to riding? Wow, are you trying to get them killed? Not my intentions at all. The op is the only person responsible for what happens in his future. Oh I forgot, there's a chance it won't kill most of them. Got it.
Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
I'm willing to bet hes a flat lander who hasnt the foggiest how to manage a simple turn, much less a switchback at speed!

Prolly has more seat time at the local bike night than he does riding too.
Again with the gambling and assumptions. Call this # 1-800-522-4700 and get some help. You have a gambling addiction and need help.

This 1st pic would be my race bike 2000 RC51. I am far from a "flat lander" and have very little trouble with my turns. The 2nd pic would be some of my stable and as you can see there is a YZF250 there on the left. I would say that puts me even further away from being labeled "flat lander".

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
And yet he called me a squid for trying to ride with style... I still think that

I've seen guys truly need a bigger bike because of their size. Because of their height, not their weight. When people start pushing 6' 6"+, the smaller bikes lack the room for all the legs they're standing on.

Dragging your knees doesn't count if you can do it while the bike is still on the kickstand

Atleast this was better then your crack comment earlier.

Originally Posted by Shadow
I ride regularly with a group which has both 600 and 1000 bikes. I would say this - the 600 is a great allround bike, but the guys who used to ride solo and have now found passengers, do have a problem where accelleration is concerned.
With your all up weight, I would look at an older 1000 bike (def not a recent model) - and perhaps go from there. A 1000F would cost you pennies compared to a newer 600 or 1000 but would allow you to get to grips with riding the bike, and perhaps moving up later.
Without a passenger, an F3/4 and a 1000F are pretty even on accelleration (mine is) but add a pillion, and it all goes backwards for the 600 after that. Your all up weight wouldn't bother a 1000F at all, and would be a good place to start, as they aren't as mental as the newer 1000RR and others.
Remember though that 1000f weighs 550lbs and isn't generally viewed as a starter bike, but given the usage, and your height and weight combination, it should be fine.
FWIW
Again well said

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
hahahahhaah that sentences alone shows how ignorant you are of the whole reason you dont start off on a 1000 lol...
If you think so good for you.

Originally Posted by dwschultzy
i would also like to add.....none of the bikes were designed with a passenger in mind very true

dont plan on going on any multiple day cross country rides 2 up with either of the two.....just not going to be fun imho

the ideology of the 1000 vs 600 is getting to be almost an old wifes tale these days with the manufacturers dropping the weight and size of the newer liter bikes to be as close to the 600's as todays bikes are
and the fact that you have todays 600's coming out of the box with over 100 hp at the wheel is absolutely amazing
what were the liter bikes of the early to mid 90's pushing?

none of these bikes are safe for someone who is not going to be responsible.....period very good point

but i can tell you this......i have more fun pushing my 600 around the track....than i do with my 1k on the street That makes absolutely no sense. Take your 1K to the track and I'm sure you'd have even more fun

its all going to come down to a personal preference.....try to do as many test rides as you can.....see if there is even someone willing to lend you a 600 or a liter bike for a day
then make your choice
Until next time

Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You seem to have a big issue with my screenname, which is a shame, n its not implying I think I am God, or as wise as God.

What I have stated about beginners starting on 1k's is true, is fact, and stats show it. I'll produce my sources right after you do. Common sense should be enough for any sane person to know not to start on a 1k, yes they have the right to make their own choices, that doesnt make it a smart choice to buy a 1k just because its the same price as a 600. Its riding experience the op lacks when it comes to a 1k. Yes one can exercise caution n try to start out on a 1k, but all it takes is one panic move for a 1k to get away from you, and less so with a smaller bike.

The money thing came from your repeated statement that he should get a 1k because they are the same price as a 600 atm.

Pix of bikes in driveways dont count for shyt except that you own them. And since when do race bikes have turn signals, mirrors, tag, etc?

You talk a good game, your facts are flawed tho, you opinion, is well you're opinion n you're entitled to it,doesnt make it right tho.

And yes, I'm human, I'm a male, and when ppl make stupid irresponsible comments that could get others hurt, yea my ego tends to come out too. Sue me!

Quick Reply: Am I too fat/heavy for a CBR600?