Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Am I too fat/heavy for a CBR600?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen guys as big as the OP on 600s. With girls bigger than me on the back. They don't seem to have any problem riding a 600. I mean its not like any (sane) is planning to race while 2up with a combined weight of 350+. A liter bike might come in handy under those circumstances... But probably so will a squeegee and plastic baggies for the mess later

Something I learned real quick when I first started riding, what they tried to hammer home during the BRC too: Riding is as much (if not more) about confidence as it is actual skill. So yeah, some people need to start on 600s. Some need to find a nice Ninja 250 to start. Some will never have the confidence in what they know to be anything more than a danger to themselves and others. The OP seems to have a good foundation to build on with his dirt / atv skills.

So I'd say go with the 600. Especially since there are 2 other major things to consider:
  • how much experience does he have riding with a passenger
  • how much experience does the passenger have being a passenger
You're riding 2up with someone you care about. Do you really want to add to the risk with a powerful bike and a lack of experience doing so?

P.S.
Just thought of another thing... Your gf might grow to like riding enough to want her own one day. And you might like her enough to give her one. And hey, lookie there! A nice 600 for her and an excuse to go buy that 1000, all wrapped in one

Last edited by Kuroshio; 10-29-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here bloody here! Well put!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned

nah....you're good to go

you've got a few inches on me....and i am quite a few lbs heavier (5'11" 260lbs)....so if you're going to be calling out fat asses....point it in my direction

heres a couple pics of a real fat *** on a 600
r6
Name:  Picture192.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  59.6 KB

600rr
Name:  t-4_pacific_raceways.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  24.6 KB

only suggestion i would have for you......especially if you're going to be riding 2 up all the time....get used to suspension adjustments in the rear

find out where it needs to be set for you.....then plan on everytime you go on a 2 up ride.....dial up the preload a few clicks

most important thing on a bike is getting your suspension set up for your weight
good luck with your choice and have fun

Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hangfire
Pretty good chance eh? Wow that's.. um.. comforting. Should put that in ads. "Buy a Literbike, there's a good chance it won't kill most of you!! Half the time it doesn't kill you all the time!"

Liters are a straight up stupid choice for anyone as a first street bike. Do you realize how unbelievably rediculous that statement was? Anytime you see postings like that or hear people say things like that it's always some guy who just stroking his bragging rights about his literbike. Liter's require far more precise throttle control to do anything, including things as simple as slight turns.

For the record I just picked up another literbike, I've been riding sportbikes for around fifteen years and this isn't my time riding a liter and at times it still spooks me. For someone new to riding? Wow, are you trying to get them killed? Oh I forgot, there's a chance it won't kill most of them. Got it.
I'm willing to bet hes a flat lander who hasnt the foggiest how to manage a simple turn, much less a switchback at speed!

Prolly has more seat time at the local bike night than he does riding too.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:44 PM

haha not to mention that a litre is way more power than anyone needs anyways.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:47 PM

I'm a big guy too (6'1" and about 245lbs) and I have no problem on my 98 600. I've had a handful of passengers and never was wanting for more power. My bike is a bit older but has a super-comfortable seat and stance. As mentioned by others, pay attention to your rear suspension and tire if you're having a ton of 2 person seat time.

Most of my passenger riding is done around town at cruising speeds and I don't really think I need 40 more horsepower. It's not like I'm pulling the front wheel up or dropping my knees with a girl holding on. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
I'm willing to bet hes a flat lander who hasnt the foggiest how to manage a simple turn, much less a switchback at speed!

Prolly has more seat time at the local bike night than he does riding too.
And yet he called me a squid for trying to ride with style...

I've seen guys truly need a bigger bike because of their size. Because of their height, not their weight. When people start pushing 6' 6"+, the smaller bikes lack the room for all the legs they're standing on.

Dragging your knees doesn't count if you can do it while the bike is still on the kickstand

Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
And yet he called me a squid for trying to ride with style...

I've seen guys truly need a bigger bike because of their size. Because of their height, not their weight. When people start pushing 6' 6"+, the smaller bikes lack the room for all the legs they're standing on.

Dragging your knees doesn't count if you can do it while the bike is still on the kickstand
egros arent that diff between the 600 n 1k's now tho. And I seen a few 6'6", 6'7" guys on 600s just smoking everything in sight lol

Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
egros arent that diff between the 600 n 1k's now tho. And I seen a few 6'6", 6'7" guys on 600s just smoking everything in sight lol
Heh, I haven't even sat on any of the newer bikes for fear of cracking open the piggy bank and increasing my insurance.

I think that the 600 vs 1000 is gonna stay as argued as the 250 vs 600 starting bike. Too much ego in the liter argument tho. Sure, I drooled when I saw a 'busa go down the street before. My F3 taught me better. The liters will always kill me on the long straights.

But I don't race. And the long straights are broken up with stop lights / signs where I do ride

Quick Reply: Am I too fat/heavy for a CBR600?