Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Am I too fat/heavy for a CBR600?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
So marinate on that!!!
lolol, PlayfulGod, right to the point as always.

I'd totally support 600. I started on 600 with no experience at all. Went down once and it made much better rider now, careful about the throttle . I guess my age + 600CC street bike were meant to go down in the beginning

I bet '08RR will have all the power you need and much much more.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:15 PM

i am about 6'4 250 more or less and i have no problem on my bike... i have taken my gf on rides with me plenty of times... she is very slim tho so its easy to get around (her size 1 jeans is baggy on her lol) and plus i think a 600 is a good starting point, yea you wish you can go with a 1000 but 600's are jsut so much fun to ride and cruise around in...

and plus, 600's get better gas milage than these 1000's. i get almost 45-50+ mpg compared to my friends bikes that get 35-40...

Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Default another two cents

sorry charlie, its not giving good advise to tell a first time sportbike rider to get a 1000, its just not. as for starting out a smaller bike is a smarter move, there are things you should learn as forinstance traffic, being very confident with bike control, readiness to handle corners at speed, braking and how late you can brake and get away with. my F2 was way more eazy to handle than my 900 RR or my 929 FACT. and ive rode the 900 for 3 years and i still can say that it is a lot more than just layin off the throttle. i know guys that have started out on liter bikes and i think their riding has suffered cause they dont look very confident in their riding on that big bike because they never had a bike they could handle eazily. Also case in point there is a bike junk yard not to far out of town and i was lookin around and i counted 38 bikes 900 and up, and 10 600's, i asked about it and the owner said the big bikes go down more often. I still love the 600 bike and always will , I ride a big bike cause i like the big bike, but it would have killed me if i would have had one 16 years ago when i started riding sportbikes. PG your right on time with said advise. you must concider general public safety when given peeps advise not just opinions, the last thing you would want is to get someone hurt here.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bambam
sorry charlie, its not giving good advise to tell a first time sportbike rider to get a 1000, its just not. as for starting out a smaller bike is a smarter move, there are things you should learn as forinstance traffic, being very confident with bike control, readiness to handle corners at speed, braking and how late you can brake and get away with. my F2 was way more eazy to handle than my 900 RR or my 929 FACT. and ive rode the 900 for 3 years and i still can say that it is a lot more than just layin off the throttle. i know guys that have started out on liter bikes and i think their riding has suffered cause they dont look very confident in their riding on that big bike because they never had a bike they could handle eazily. Also case in point there is a bike junk yard not to far out of town and i was lookin around and i counted 38 bikes 900 and up, and 10 600's, i asked about it and the owner said the big bikes go down more often. I still love the 600 bike and always will , I ride a big bike cause i like the big bike, but it would have killed me if i would have had one 16 years ago when i started riding sportbikes. PG your right on time with said advise. you must concider general public safety when given peeps advise not just opinions, the last thing you would want is to get someone hurt here.
exactly and why I replied with such passion behind it. I own a site n help run 3 others along with my posting on here n other sites. Not to mention riders I run into daily etc, I see that type of mentality and how it results 99%. A 1000 is no starter bike by no means, hell its a handful for well experienced riders. So for anyone to suggest a new comer to get a 1000 is just plain foolish and irresponsible.

The come big or stay on the porch shyt doesnt play in the biking world and needs to stay with the chest bumping beer buddies.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by jgos929
I completely disagree with everyone. 350lbs + on a 600 is laughable. As I have said on here before everyone that spent hard earned $$$ on a 600, 6 months later wishes they would have bought a 1000. You and your girl on a 1000 will be effortless. Also the whole starting on a 250 thing is a joke. Plenty of peoples first bikes were 1000's and there is a pretty good chance that most of them are still alive. Keep your wrist out of the throttle and you'll be fine. 1 last thing why in the world would you buy an 08 600 when you can get a new 08 1000 for the same price or cheaper??? Marinate on that for a bit before you go and waste your money.
I'm sorry, but you're on crack with this statement.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

He he... did he just say phuqing? huh huh..... loving your work playful.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HenryM
He he... did he just say phuqing? huh huh..... loving your work playful.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I'll admit here and now that I bought my Cane just cos it was there and a good price. I didn't go purposely looking for a 1K motor. What really sold it was the seat. It's good for passengers unlike the postage stamps they seem to put on most bikes these days.
I've been riding for quite a while, had some time when I didn't have a bike except a little run around but I think the clear message coming through this thread is simple. If you're going to ride, do it carefully no matter what size engine you got between your legs. May as well just turn yourself in at the undertakers before you get taken there rigid if you don't think like that.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PlayfulGod :
bikes are not determined by your weight but more so by your riding experience.
That right there is the #1 answer.

Off dirt to a 600 makes perfect sense ...........really. I'm your weight/height profile.
I ride both ............own one , borrow the other...........have a blast on each. Each
have their own traits all very enjoyable.

Really don't beat yourself up too much over it..............it's not a that big of a deal.

Watch Jules video's ..........600's can really ............mmooooooooovvvvvveeee

Old 10-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I will say again there is a huge difference between early 600s and the later breed, especially the CBRs ... early 600s could be considerd by some a bit weak low down in the rev range but having lots of great top end power ... with each generation power not only increased on the top end but they kept making them stronger lower down too ... I have ridden all CBR600s and each generation was better than the one before ... the new 600RR not only has awesome power and top end acceleration but it has decent low and very strong mid range power now too ... when I come out of a bend I can fire out really fast with just 5,000 to 6,000 rpm and be at the next bend really fast, it revs so freely and revs up fast, even in top gear the bike pulls so hard I often find myself looking for another gear thinking I must not be in top gear, for instance if I was side by side with my old F3 at 60mph and we both rolled on in top gear together the new RR wouldn't walk away it would run away!! ..lol

Now you don't need any more power but some people want more power and that is the arguement I think, need versus want ... if you want more than a modern 600 has to offer then be very VERY sure of your abilities and limitations ... I am a very experienced rider and I have found all the bike I will ever need or want in the new 600RR :-)

Jules

Quick Reply: Am I too fat/heavy for a CBR600?