Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Always wear your gear...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Always wear your gear...

I just really started riding this year... I would ride with a jacket and gloves and helmet, sometimes going to school i would ditch the jacket. Well never again.. I went down the other day while out riding with buddies scared the living crap out of me. the jacket defiantly saved my upper body. gloves saved my hands except for my middle finger go figure lol. my right leg got a bit torn up and my ankle too. when the bike gets out of the shop it will be full gear boots and i think i will invest in riding pants alpine stars has a nice pair that are inconspicuous. But wow I never thought it would happen Be careful guys. O and got a ticket as well

Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 AM

totally agree i always wear all my gear, except sometimes not my boots when i am going somewhere i am going to be walking alot

Old 05-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its sad ppl have to learn the hard way isnt it??? And no I'm not dissing anyone as I learned the same way lol.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:12 PM

i learned the hard way that i need a jacket. pants and boots...not so much. my experience is that good jeans, and tennis shoes protect just as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:20 PM

Glad your OK man, could you fill us in on how/why it happened?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Pics or it didn't happen.

j/k but pictures of your injuries always help drive home the point to sceptics.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:14 PM

i could take and post pics of the rash scars on my elbows, and of the bump on my collarbone.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by King Klong
i learned the hard way that i need a jacket. pants and boots...not so much. my experience is that good jeans, and tennis shoes protect just as well.
You must've missed the video of the guy high siding (doing stunts in a parking lot) and having the bike fall on his ankle. With boots he prolly would ended up with a broken ankle ... with the sneakers he was wearing his foot was attached to his leg only by a bit-o-skin. He was going 30mph max ... never saw if they were able to reattach but after the shock wore off he was in tremendous pain and leaking copious amounts of blood.

Riding pants with armor (knee, thigh and ankle) have saved me from some nasty stuff. I gotta figure hurting from impact with the armor was cake compared to not wearing it.

Not trying to bust on ya and I'm glad your experience was not serious. Just saying good boots and pants will ease the transition from upright to sliding towards the trees better than jeans and sneaks

Old 05-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I learned from not making the mistakes that others have made before me. Before I got really serious about riding and before I got my license, I watched a lot of videos of accidents and saw a lot of pictures of what going down without gear looks like.

Actually, before I owned the motorcycle that I have now and even before I took the MSF course, I purchased a jacket, helmet, and gloves. The boots came right after I finished the MSF course, but still before I got the bike.

I went down on my bike in February--4 months after getting my license--and I had all of my gear on. As much as I still see it today that many riders don't wear gear and no matter how hot it gets, I will always wear my gear.

Glad to hear that you learned and that you are okay.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by King Klong
Tennis shoes protect just as well? Are you out of your mind. Um ya those tennis shoes protect my feet and ankles way better then the alpinestar riding shoes I got. You get what you pay for. 50 dollar tennis shoes will protect you in a 50 dollar wreck.

Quick Reply: Always wear your gear...