Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Advice From an Ex-Motorcycle Thief

Old 09-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Advice From an Ex-Motorcycle Thief

I don't know if this was posted on here, or if you guys have seen this on reddit - but I've always been a little paranoid about my bike's security - I know a lot of you guys have felt the same way about it.

This was really interesting. Basically, it's a guy who used to steal bikes professionally, then woke up one day and realized it was all wrong. He posted this on reddit to sort of "make amends". He is the TremendousGuilt named author. It's pretty good, the guy seems to be on the level of trying to do the right thing, and advise people on security. There are tons of great tips.

EX Thief & "chop-shop" operator AMA : motorcycles

IAMA Request: A motorcycle thief. : motorcycles

Old 09-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's a pretty awesome read and props to him for coming out with that and trying to help. I have seen it quite a few times and always re-read for new stuff.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Wow, that was a great read! makes me think about installing an alarm! And chains, and disk locks, and lo-jack, and another tarp and booby trapping it, and.... But really good read, makes you think about an often forgotten topic.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 PM

Wtf, I'm not applauding this jackass for not being a thief anymore. **** him, what a p.o.s.

Tell ya what needs to happen. He needs to start buying bikes with his own money and giving them away to people who ride bikes, for repayment of over a decade of being a bike theif. Then I could stand in the same room for more than ten minutes without ****ing his head up.

Repay people with bikes and take a major beating...that will suffice. Still would spit on em after that.

Yes, people make mistakes and change. For the ones who admit it to the public, they need to be put in prison and pay.

That's why mine is always parked somewhere inside and locked up. They come inside to get it, they get sshot. ...umm, yeah, bravo to you for not stealing our bikes anymore..****ing jerk.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting that one would come out like that. People make mistakes, some more than others and perhaps that's why we're here. To get things right, eventually. But I don't see the point in blogging about it. Like cBrentb said, He should be paying the price for what he did. Somehow. Not as much telling people how bad it was and how he's changed. People smart enough to do these things for years while they put themselves through college with dirty money are smart enough to know it's very wrong, yet they still do it. I've been the victim of car break ins many times with many cars. Slimeballs are everywhere and I always feel paranoid about them whenever my bike is parked in an open, desolate lot. But that's what helps keep you safe. I believe people get what they deserve eventually. Either with jail or their own conscience.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cBrentb
Wtf, I'm not applauding this jackass for not being a thief anymore. **** him, what a p.o.s.

Tell ya what needs to happen. He needs to start buying bikes with his own money and giving them away to people who ride bikes, for repayment of over a decade of being a bike theif. Then I could stand in the same room for more than ten minutes without ****ing his head up.

Repay people with bikes and take a major beating...that will suffice. Still would spit on em after that.

Yes, people make mistakes and change. For the ones who admit it to the public, they need to be put in prison and pay.

That's why mine is always parked somewhere inside and locked up. They come inside to get it, they get sshot. ...umm, yeah, bravo to you for not stealing our bikes anymore..****ing jerk.
This isn't about applauding him, or forgiving him. I wish he would have been caught too. I wish every person that steals ANYTHING is caught.

This is about advice. And, while, I always have mine inside too - a lot of these tips would have been helpful while I was in college and didn't have that luxury.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:03 AM

Yeah guess you have a point. some people might need advice and don't live in places where they can lock their bike inside. I'd never live somewhere were I wasn't able to lock it away in a garage, storage shed, or somewhere like that.

Leaving it in the open is asking for it to get stolen. That's always how its been around here.