General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to prevent Motorcycle theft? Advice!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prevent Motorcycle theft? Advice!?

I am moving into an apartment complex and was wondering the best way to avoid my bike being stolen. I've had a friend who had his stolen from an apartment so I'm very leary. I just bought a U lock for it but still don't think that's the total solution. I can't afford to pay the extra $90 for a garage. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Default I'll take a stab at it

A couple of things you can do are cheap and can't hurt...

1 - Make the bike look like it's "hard" to steal. What I mean is that you want to make it obvious to the thieves that it's going to take some real work to get that sucker out of there. Since most sport bikes are just picked up and hauled off I would get a good secure cover that has a way to lock it to the bike and then lock the cover to something solid like your porch rails or a pole. If they have to cut and chop things just to get a look at it they will probably move on to an easier target. Sure it's a pain to uncover in the morning but if you're worried then it's worth the extra minute or two. Plus it shows others that your bike means something to you and that you are actively defending it - who knows how rabid you might be about it ;-)

2 - Let the people around know who's bike it is. It's free and it gets more eyes watching it. If the regulars see someone else around the bike they are more likely to get suspicious. They may not do more than remember they saw a stranger - but then again they may ask what the guy is is doing around your bike or at least say something to you so you know something is up.

3 - Keep it where you can see it. That one seems obvious but if there is any way you can get that thing where it's right outside your door or window it will give most thieves another reason to pass it by.

4 - Park it where they have to carry it a long way to get it to a truck or van. If they have to pick it up and run 50 yards to the parking lot they probably won't bother. That won't stop someone from trying get it unlocked or hotwired but the longer it will take them the less they want to mess with it.

5 - An alarm, maybe? I'm not sold on alarms because no one really pays attention to them and false alarms **** everyone off. But if the bike is close and it goes off then you're the only one that has to pay attention.

Basically you want to do things that would make a thief want to skip it for something easier to steal.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Siggy Maker & All Round Good Guy

I bought my bike from a guy who had it stolen from his apt. When he got it back it was thrashed so i got it cheap. Yeah, be careful of those apt parking places. If i was you i would bring the bike into the apt overnights. (that is if you are on the ground floor. If you are on a higher lvl i would put an alarm on it and make sure the volume is set at full throttle.

This is what i use lol. (a gun lock) You can probably chew through it but it keeps my paranoia at ease. I like to believe that my bike is worth stealing .

Old 01-29-2009, 11:07 PM

A bike cover makes a big difference from what I understand

Old 01-30-2009, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the help. I just bought a U lock and a motorcycle cover. I'm also going to buy a regular bicycle lock and lock it to the rim of my car. Thanks for all the help. Not else more I can do but I'll definitely sleep better at night now.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answer is simple, almost 99.9% effective
Name:  SL_00012889.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  17.8 KB

Just remember to take the ignition key if you have to go to the bathroom.
Honestly there is no real protection for a bike parked outside, if they want it, they will take it, chains, bolts & alarms only stop the amateurs.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by bllund2
Thanks for the help. I just bought a U lock and a motorcycle cover. I'm also going to buy a regular bicycle lock and lock it to the rim of my car. Thanks for all the help. Not else more I can do but I'll definitely sleep better at night now.
Great Idea. Im going to do that this summer when i get my bike out. Bike cover and lock it to the rim of my car. A plus is to get a set of lug nuts that need a special key. Thats what i got.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 AM

I recommend a sign that says this bike is guarded by Smith and Wesson three nights a week. You guess which three nights...And chain a starving rabid pitbull to it. You could aim a laser pointer a couple of inches above the seat...so they think you are aiming a sniper rifle at their *****.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by thrasher572
...You could aim a laser pointer a couple of inches above the seat...so they think you are aiming a sniper rifle at their *****.
OK, I have no idea why but this struck me as funny as hell.

Quick Reply: How to prevent Motorcycle theft? Advice!?