New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

rebuilding my old CBR1000F (1996)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 03:20 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

No pictures today just a small bit of news about the alternator being rewound. If you are in Queensland even the Brisbane area I have had my alternator rewound at a place called S&K Dramicanin in 29 Albyn Rd. Sunnybank. for the cost of $113.00 including postage back to Rockhampton. I will let you all know how it goes when it gets back here, and maybe even be able to photo some of the progress along the way.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:23 AM
Welcome crew
Received 340 Likes on 316 Posts

Good to hear Clive, that sounds quite reasonable.
Fingers crossed for when you get it back.

Old 04-08-2021, 07:28 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Al1040
Good to hear Clive, that sounds quite reasonable.
Fingers crossed for when you get it back.
Yes I have to agree, I did think it was going to cost a bit more than that, I must say I am looking forward to having it back on the road, the new exhaust system may arrive about 2 days after the alternator, so things appear to on the move to say the least.

Old 04-08-2021, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by CliveRand
No pictures today just a small bit of news about the alternator being rewound. If you are in Queensland even the Brisbane area I have had my alternator rewound at a place called S&K Dramicanin in 29 Albyn Rd. Sunnybank. for the cost of $113.00 including postage back to Rockhampton. I will let you all know how it goes when it gets back here, and maybe even be able to photo some of the progress along the way.
@NZ Zim This thread may be of interest to you. I realize you're in NZ, but AU is not that far and this seems like a reasonable price. Might be worth looking into.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:24 PM
Smile

Well today has been a good day for me, the 2 things I have been waiting for have arrived.

The alternator has been rewound and tested as OK. I believe it is a bit of a nightmare to re install.

Then there was this box of goodies.

The 4 gaskets to the cylinder head and 2 mounting bolts, 1 for underneath, on the oilpan I think, could be wrong, I haven't had a look there yet.

The header pipes and the intermediate parts of the system.

The rest of the exhaust system. All the springs and other bits and pieces to put it all together, they even added a spring tool to fit the springs on the system.

Old 04-11-2021, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Ooooohhh man, someone is going to have some fun today!! It's Xmas!!

Old 04-12-2021, 05:57 AM
Welcome crew

Ohhh shiny bits to play with!!!

Old 04-12-2021, 09:44 AM

Well things have changed for the better I hope. I had a go at getting the alternator put back in, I figured it would take the most work, so it is finally in after a lot of cussing and other languages used.

Well this is where I left it when the alternator came out, I am guessing it is not going to be a simple push back into place sort of job.

After mucking around with a lot of ideas, I finally worked out how to get this thing back where it belongs.

Now it looks like it belongs there, glad to see the end of that exersize.

Finally, I can put things back together, the pod filters I bought were not working out, so I had to do battle with the original airbox, I think I got a win, find out later I suppose.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:49 AM
Welcome crew

Well done Clive, you did better than I did!
I had a squealing alternator on CBX750, I removed it to replace the bearing, but try as I might I could not get it to seat on the new bearing and it ended up in the shop

Old 04-12-2021, 04:42 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Al1040
Well done Clive, you did better than I did!
I had a squealing alternator on CBX750, I removed it to replace the bearing, but try as I might I could not get it to seat on the new bearing and it ended up in the shop
I really did try with it, I may have the wrong attitude for tis project, I keep thinking to myself if I stuff it I am only loosing a $500.00 bike, not thinking that I have spent a whole lot more, maybe that is why I am getting through these awkward times, besides I am enjoying the learning curve of working on my own bike, for some reason I have always been terrified of stuffing something up and so I never tried.

Quick Reply: rebuilding my old CBR1000F (1996)