New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

rebuilding my old CBR1000F (1996)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 11:33 AM
Welcome crew
Received 340 Likes on 316 Posts

Fantastic job, well done. Nearly there

Old 03-20-2021, 02:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice project.

Old 03-21-2021, 08:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I look back at the work that has been done on this old bike, and I remember why I bought it originally. I picked her up for $500.00 and the I was going to just thrash the hell out of it until it died. I was going to be taking it to bike shows around the area to use as a burnout bike for our group. I don't know what happened to make me change my mind, I certainly didn't intend to do anything to it, just gerni it then put an old tyre on the back and basically destroy it, after all it was only a $500.00 investment. now I have spent a few dollars on it and now I don't think I can bring myself to do any of the things I was going to do with it. Although it was not finished at the time I took it out for a bit of a squirt, I did remember to take a pic of it because it had to look complete if I were going to take her o the road to take her for a run. Sometimes I think the alternator failing was another blessing or I may not have taken the time to finish it properly, but now we have a bit of much needed rain, not the best for painting, things have come to a bit of a holt for now. Anyway it looked really nice I thought, I think she will turn a few heads when she is back out on the street again.

No pinstriping here just yet and no clear on there either.

Be really glad to see the sun come out again, the overcast weather does nothing for the highlights of the paint.

And to think it was never going to be worked on, kind of glad I didn't let her go now.

The following 2 users liked this post by CliveRand:
Doc Samson (03-26-2021), Lysurgic Acid (04-03-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 10:54 AM
Welcome crew

It would have been a real shame to have destroyed her!!
She does look really smart

Old 03-22-2021, 07:52 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Al1040
It would have been a real shame to have destroyed her!!
She does look really smart
I agree with you now. but that was never my original intention. Still it has been a good learning curve for me too, I have never really done any work on my own bikes before, there always was a fear of stuffing them up if I touched them, it will still go to bike shows from time to time, but this time it will be as a protected species hehehe. Still waitining on the news from the rewind place in Brisbane, will let you all know how it goes when I know.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:35 AM
Welcome crew

You have clearly learnt a lot and performed it very well.
Painting and body work are not my thing, anything mechanical I will have a go at, but just don't have the space or tools for painting etc.
Fingers crossed for the rewind!

Old 03-23-2021, 01:57 AM

Okay, I have started the clear coat for the bike, so far I have managed to get one side done as I am waiting for things to turn up before I can continue. The thing I am going to ask now is probably a debatable subject, so I am going to throw it out there and see what responses are. I have an issue with sealing my airbox, and I am not satisfied that it is actually sealing the airbox to the carby's, so I am going to give the individual pod filters a run and see if I can get some satisfaction that way. I am also going to fit some aftermarket mufflers on as well (Delkevik) I think that is how it is spelt, twin system being retained, I am only going to use slip on pipe and mufflers. I have been told I need to re jet the carby's to do this, does anyone have anyidea of the size of jets required to address this issue, I figured if I need to do this then may as well get it done while I am waiting for the alternator to get fixed. What other things do I need to address while I am going down this path?

Clearcoat has started to go on now, the tank has been done and it also has a scratch protector in place as well, starting to get the gloss coming out now.

The carby's seem to be working alright when I took them off to access the alternator nut, but the seal around the air filter box did not look that good to me, a lot of silicone around the flange that actually went into the filter box.

After doing a bit of mucking around with the filter box getting it all out, I thought of replacing it with pod filters instead of the fight trying to put it all back in, and with the seal not looking very good with all the silicone that was attatched, I am not sure I want to risk getting the engine dusted because the seal was not good enough.

These are the mufflers I am considering putting on the bike, only I am thinking maybe the carbon fibre version would look better for me, almost like trying to fit chrome onto a bike that never had it, cross that bridge very soon I feel.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

I agree on the carbon fiber choice. Not a fan of chrome on sport bikes in general, I don't see the need for rejetting. You're not changing the exhaust headers, and that is where the airflow control happens. If the carburetors haven't been gone though with a complete cleaning, It'd certainly be considering that. Have the valve clearances been checked? You're one of the lucky guys with a bike with adjustable tappets. Don't have to pull the camshafts to adjust the valves or fiddle with figuring out what shim to buy to bring it into spec.

She's looking really nice though.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
I agree on the carbon fiber choice. Not a fan of chrome on sport bikes in general, I don't see the need for rejetting. You're not changing the exhaust headers, and that is where the airflow control happens. If the carburetors haven't been gone though with a complete cleaning, It'd certainly be considering that. Have the valve clearances been checked? You're one of the lucky guys with a bike with adjustable tappets. Don't have to pull the camshafts to adjust the valves or fiddle with figuring out what shim to buy to bring it into spec.

She's looking really nice though.
At this point in time I haven't touched the engine, but I am considering giving it a rebuild as well, maybe upgrade a couple of things as well (not sure just yet) the engine is not blowing any smoke and there are no oil leaks for now, I consider myself lucky enough to have scored a bike that doesn't look like it really needs it. I suppose I am getting bored waiting for that alternator to turn up. but the pod filters have already been ordered, I was quite serious about the poor seal between the carby's and filter box. Seems to have had an awfull lot of very sticky silicon or some sort of rubber compound that doesn't want to let go. I may have to go to the garage and take some pictures of what I mean. but I was told with pods I would need to rejet the carby's, so that is why I am asking. I am not looking for a racing bike by any means, 120Kph is probably the most common speeds I travel at, and some of the distances can be in excess of 2500Km each way, not sure how I would go on the Honda, the Harley I have has been changed so I can keep going without breaking my back, I have not tried it on a sport styled bike yet, will hopefully take it on a 300Km trip at Easter time, that will tell me if I am up to the task of long distance trips with it.

It has sheepskin seat covers and an air cushion as well not in this picture, but she has been set up for those long rides anyway, and I get there still able to give cheek and almost walk upright, she is very heavy, not that you would notice once you get going on the highway. One of the joys of living in Queensland Australia is we can ride all year round, I hope the CBR is going to let me stay on her for the long trips as well.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:50 AM
Smile

I did manage to find a pic of the carbon fibre muffler I was thinking of using. sadly for me is if I am left alone with my thoughts waiting for things to turn up I get the mind wondering off and I end up doing considerably more than I had originally anticipated.

This was the actual picture I wanted to use to illustrate the new muffler I am considering, it is growing on me quite fast really.

The following users liked this post:
Lysurgic Acid (04-03-2021)

Quick Reply: rebuilding my old CBR1000F (1996)