New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

rebuilding my old CBR1000F (1996)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Funny, my first ride on my 1995 1000F was when I purchased it. I flew to Minneapolis, MN and rode it back to S. FL in 2 days for a total of about 1700 miles. She's definitely good for long rides.

Old 03-23-2021, 02:23 PM
Welcome crew
Received 340 Likes on 316 Posts

Hmmm, those pipes look smart

Old 03-23-2021, 11:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I must admit that things look a whole lot different when they have been cleaned up, after taking a whole lot of black stuff off of the ducting and filterbox, I could see that what ever that black stuff was, it was certainly contributing to things not lighning up very well at all. After seeing this come together here, I did notice that the pods I have ordered may not fit here, the 2 carby's are really close to each other, and with a gap between the inboard carby's, I got too many things going around in my head for now, some of the other stuff I had ordered turned up today so I had better go and see about the other side of the bike then hopefully I can give it all a good coverage of clear to sand back and polish.

I know this dosn't look too bad, but then again I have removed a mountain of some black sticky crap that was all around those 2 large holes in the top, that black stuff got everywhere.

Here we can see where that black stuff was around the hole, it hung on good and did not let me remove the ducting without putting up a good fight.

These critters were the things that would not seal properly into the air filter box, and believe it or not, they look dirty here, you should have seen then with that black silicon looking stuff all over them.

I didn't know there were ribs in the ducting when I took them out, the ducting seems to be seating a lot better here, hopefully I can get them to seat like this when they are in the bike.

After the headache I had removing the last lot of sealant, I am not sure if I should put some fresh sealant on there this time around. I dare say for the sake of avoiding the engine getting dusted, I should make sure the air is cleaned before it gets to the carby's or into the head itself.

Last edited by CliveRand; 03-23-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

The hose clamps should be sufficient to seal against the head/intake ports. As for around the airbox, maybe a small amount of silicone sealant. Just a small amount.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:04 PM

Well I have had a look at my mufflers, and they are in a worse shape than I had originally thought, to get it through a roadworthy I rivetted a couple of patches over the rust holes that I saw on them. They held their seal but those plates always bothered me because they did look like a quick fix, (and it was) now I have taken the plates off, (top and bottom) I inserted a flat screwdriver under the plate to remove it only to have the screwdriver colapse the muffle not yet holed it was so badly rusted out, sorry no pics, I just went downstairs to have a quick look at what condition they were in, and when 1 fell apart I simply continued onto the other side, only to find it was heading down the same path. (Not quite as Bad.) The header pipes and collector seemed to be alright for now, I am now considering replacing the entire system, sadly I can only find a 4 into 1 system for the 1996, I would have prefered to have a twin system on it still. anyway I am kind of glad it needs to be replaced, so now it goes on the urgently fixed list instead of the it will be alright for now list.

Last edited by CliveRand; 03-26-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:59 AM

I have ordered the new exhaust system, it will be a 4 into 1 system. I have given it quite a bit of thought, keeping the twin system means twice the expense so I have opted for the cheaper option. For those who wish to buy a down pipes etc, to keep your twin system, this will get you the 4 into 2. https://www.davidsilverspares.com/motad/part_193325/ might be what you are looking for. I have opted to use this setup. https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk...er-31778-p.asp so that will take a couple of weeks to get here I suppose, I will update things as they arrive and get fitted.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:58 AM
Welcome crew

Wow, those Motad headers were a bit on the pricey side, you get the full replacement for about 1/3 of the cost.
There is definitely something nice about the symmetry of twin exhausts but...
Fingers crossed for the fitting of the Black Widow, did you manage to get the header nuts off ok?

Old 03-28-2021, 01:38 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Al1040
Wow, those Motad headers were a bit on the pricey side, you get the full replacement for about 1/3 of the cost.
There is definitely something nice about the symmetry of twin exhausts but...
Fingers crossed for the fitting of the Black Widow, did you manage to get the header nuts off ok?

Yes I did get the nuts off, and relatively easy at that. I agree with the cost of the headers, I was thinking about it, but the cost is what put me off in the end, the good thing about the black widow exhaust is no nuts and bolts to play with. It is all held together with springs, the only bolts are underneath, that is only one bolt,and the muffler, only one of them too and the cylinder head nuts, they are all fairly easy to get to right now with all the fairing removed when I took the alternator out Hopefully that will be back next week, not sure how long it will take for the exhaust to come from England. All the painting is done now, I doesn't look much different to the previous pictures, the colours just have pinstripe borders on them now, I will get some more pics as the work progresses, but for now it is the waiting game, the bit that drives me insane.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:47 AM
Welcome crew

The waiting for bits is always the hardest part, esp when all you want to do is get out on the road

Old 03-28-2021, 06:48 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by Al1040
The waiting for bits is always the hardest part, esp when all you want to do is get out on the road

I am hearing you loud and clear, fortunately I have another bike to fall back on, but I haven't even chalked up 200Km yet when the alternator died, so kind of chaffing at the bit to chalk up a lot more. I was hoping it would be ready for the Easter trip, but that has no chance now, I only ordered my exhaust late Friday night I think, and that has to come from England, and I am in Australia. the alternator my still get here, but I am not sure how the fairings may handle no exhaust pipes, I am guessing the flames from the head would make rather short work of melting some of the plastics. hehehe and to make it worse I am rather impatient as well.

Quick Reply: rebuilding my old CBR1000F (1996)