New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New rider here....need some input!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider here....need some input!

Im going to be 20 in about 2 weeks and im thinking about getting a bike. Ive wanted one since I was 16 but it just would never happen with the parental units. I dostill live at home, but now that I am older it's more of my decision then theirs. So im about to grad. from my 2 yr school in may, and i already have a job lined up that im starting 2 days after graduation. Im going to be a service tech for Trane HVAC.

So now about the bike........a friend of mine is looking to get rid of his '06 600RR (orange & black) w/ 2500 miles.he has the hotbodies undertail kit on it, and is willing to throw in an Icon jacket ($300) all for $7200. I do have experience w/ dirt bikes when I was younger and I own 2 YFZ450's right now. I have the loan all lined up for the bike, but now my father is flipping **** on me that im actually going threw with it. He had a few bikes when he was younger and broke his collar bone and really does not want me to get one. He is afraid that I will get hurt and it will throw off my new job and screw everything up for me.

So now im kinda in a pickle because I promised my friend I would buy the bike and I stand by my word. But at the same time I dont have any experience with street bikes, and dont want to potentially mess up my new bike....or myself.

I'm not sure what I should do........any input would be great!

Old 04-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned
Default RE: New rider here....need some input!

Your family situation with your parents is a separate issue than the deal you made with your buddy or whether or not a 600RR is a good first street bike.

I think you will be fine on the 600RR, just respect it and take it easy for a while. Since you have dirt bikes, at least the hands/feet thing will be easy. The MSF course would be good because there are alot of 'lessons learned' in it that you don't want to learn the hard way.

Good luck with the Parent and friend dilemma, keep us posted.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Retired Moderator

I say get the bike. However, prove to your dad that you are going to be respoinsible. Take the MSF course FIRST, get your safety gear, and pick up a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough. You are an adult, and are able to make your own decisions. Good luck, and please be safe!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:07 PM

Hello & Welcome!!

MSF is always a good start....just remember that you must put frame sliders on the bike if it does not have them already b/c everyone drops the bike....

Old 04-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Mad

I was in the same situation when I was younger. I ended up getting the bike and my parents got over it. I am NOT telling you to do the same but if you decide on YOUR own to get the bike then take the MSF course. You'll be glad you did.. Ride safe and have fun...

Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And by the way, 420 and riding don't mix. Save it for when the bike is back in the garage.

And I agree with voodochyl. Let your father see that you're taking this seriously and trying to be responsible. He still probably won't be happy about the bike, but maybe he'll worry just a little less.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:59 AM

Hello and welcome

Take the MSF course learn everything you can. Take a easy on the bike. Respect the bike the bike will respect you.