Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

New Rider - input wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider - input wanted

Just got my first bike ('97 600 F3), starting from the top,Icurrentlyhave:

-HJC CL-SP helmet
-JR Blaster leather jacket
-JR leather gloves

That's it. Do you guysthink I should get some kind ofriding pants and footwear? The only reason I ask is because I don't wanttoget all deckedout if it isn't necessary. I know it'll probably just be the answer "more is better", but are there any other thoughtson this? Also,not spendingmore money would be nice, but ifpeople think it would be a good idea I have no problems spending money on something that could potentiallysave me some pain if I go down.

By the way, I drive pretty conservatively, but as we all know it's notalways about how we drive (it's all those other crazy a-holes onthe road).

Thanksin advancefor the input.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Default RE: New Rider - input wanted

Hey man, im new on bikes too but i'd say you should definately look into wearing as much gear as you can swing. I have some joe rocket pants that fit over whatever i might have on, and have built in armor. Their not hot either, very breathable. I don't know if your trying to stay with leather on the pants too ? I have the Honda cbr leather jacket but like the joe rocket pants alot for their convienience of fitting over whatever i have on.

I'm looking for some boots myself, so i can't suggest anyhthing for ya.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:29 PM

You should definately get some riding boots. If you want incredible boots get sidi's, I tried on a pair of their new vertigos today and they were incredible, definately getting a pair of them asap, way more comfortable then my old vertebras. If you're not looking for a full blown race boot (it is the most protective thing you could possibly wrap around your feet/ankles) look into Icon's boots. They look like hiking boots but provide some bonuses for bike riders (shift pad, steel reinforced sole) but they don't protect your ankles at all. As for pants, it depends... I've low sided in jeans without any road rash, but I do have a pair of overpants for when it isn't too hot to be uncomfortable to wear them. Whatever you do don't ride in shorts, and don't expect jeans to last if you go down.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:09 PM

hmm...i have a pair of vertigos for sale...