New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New Here, still deciding on honda or ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Here, still deciding on honda or ???

ORIGINAL: NINE2NINE

why is everyone always stuck on the idea that they will "outgrow" a 600? the truth is that 99.9% of the general public cannot and will not ever be able to reach a 600's full potential. besides, if you only ride on the street, you will be able to break every speed limit without leaving first gear. a cbr600rr (or any other supersport 600) is not a weak bike and in my opinion shouldn't be a person's first bike. i understand what everyone says about "it's only as fast as you want it to be" and anyone can idle a cbr1000rr around at 10 mph. but who does that. anyone (myself included) will always find out just how fast a certain bike is. that is why some of us have stated that you or anyone else should use a little caution when making your first bike purchase. everyone makes mistakes and new riders are more prone to make more mistakes and bikes with less than 180 horsepower will forgive you more often than the faster bikes.

that being said, if you have your mind set on a liter bike and feel that you can handle it, go for it. i don't mean to sound like an old man. i do not personally know you or your riding abilities. i just know that i too started on dirt bikes then moved to street bikes and there is no way that i could have started on my 929, let alone the new crop of liter bikes that leave me standing still. this is just my opinion that i give to most people when they want to buy their first street bike.

good luck and let us all know what you get, honda or not.
Thanks for your genuine input. Its def a concern of mine as well, and i appreciate you taking the time to give me a real opinion. Its posts like these that make me think that the 600rr will be just enough. But its pics from hondas website that says the 1000rr looks so much hotter. hah (thats just a small part of it)

I dont agree that a 1000 should ever be a beginners bike and for some reason i am decidedly going against my own advice. That might be a bad idea, I think (hope?) I will be able to restrain myself on it until I am good and ready. As far as top speed thats not really my deal, im more of an acceleration kinda guy. Same with my car, its all motor, and not built or geared for topspeed, but its 0-90 mph is up there with higher hp cars.

I know its so much easier to keep on going past 100, (its only 2nd gear) but im thinking that i will be able to control myself.

Plus honestly, theres alot of fast cars around here and I'm not about to get picked on by an integra or camaro when im on a damn streetbike.

Old 12-02-2005, 04:25 PM

ORIGINAL: stlavsa
Plus honestly, theres alot of fast cars around here and I'm not about to get picked on by an integra or camaro when im on a damn streetbike.

Bad reason to buy a bike if you ask me....

Old 12-02-2005, 04:53 PM
Retired Mod

i agree. [sm=badidea.gif]

Old 12-02-2005, 06:33 PM

600 or 1000 your not likly to get picked on by any car if you know how to ride.... and to tell you the truth the 0-90 times for a 600RR and a 1000RR are not that far apart. It all depends on what u want to do with the bike, but I'm glad I started out on dirt and then picked up a 600... good luck with your choice.

Old 12-03-2005, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: pitsvtec

ORIGINAL: stlavsa

Bad reason to buy a bike if you ask me....
That has nothing to do with why I WANT to buy a bike. I'm not going out looking to race other bikes, cars, planes, whatever. I have been into powersports for a long time. And i have been waiting until i turned 25 because of insurance prices. (cant see payin 3000 a year for full coverage)

BUT.. i will be damned if I'm out on my bike and a 240sx/teggy, and some of these other big turbo cars around here start to pick on me. (theres a handful here trapping higher than the slips in the timeslip database here)

The 600's outta take em off the line most likely, but from a roll those cars are beasts and its gonna take the topend of a liter bike to fend em off.

But either way... thats not even why i want the bike i was just thinking aloud.