New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Looking to buy; advice appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy; advice appreciated

As the title states, I'm looking to get a bike. Both for daily driving and weekend fun. I've never owned one and have little experience riding street, but I've been on quads, dirtbikes and even trikes (my dad has an '85 ATC 350X) my entire life. I realize dirt and street are two totally different monsters but I'm hoping the dirt experience will help the ease the learning curve.

With that being said, I've been in love with the 1000RRs for a long time and that's really what I'd like to get on. Just wondering if that would be too much machine to start with. Main thing is I don't want to "grow out" of the 600RR too fast. Not saying it's a slouch by any means, I've just heard of people getting a 600 and then moving up to a liter bike quite quickly. I'd like to hold on and be happy with the bike for a long time. Not sure how much it matters but I'm also a bigger guy at 6'4" 245lbs.

So, just looking for some advice from experienced riders on what I should do. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome!

Regarding the selection of a bike, it really depends on you.
We use the phrase "respect the power" a lot, meaning as long as you do respect the power, you can get started on just about anything, and yes, I will attest that riding dirt first can be a help, with just understanding being on a two-wheel powered vehicle.

My first bikes were 900's and 750's, but honestly, today's 600 machines out perform those old things anyway.

You could start with an older 600 (F2, F3, F4/F4i), just so you can get into one cheap, and "cut your teeth" on it. They don't have the power of a new 600, so yes, you might outgrow it soon enough, if you find that you are comfortable straight away, but even those old F bikes have more power than you ever really need to use on the street.
Another advantage of starting with an older CBR, is that if you do drop it a time or two, well, at least you did NOT drop a brand new $13,000 600!

It's really all subjective, and dependent on your own self control... since you're a big guy, you probably wouldn't have any issue at all with the weight of a 1000cc, you just gotta respect the power, and take it easy!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:38 PM

Yeah I'm big believer in respecting power as well. Having a lot of seat time on a CRF500 helps with that hah! I had planned on picking up a nice used 1000, I've seen a few '08s and '09s with low miles in the $8k range on my local craigslist. Haven't looked at any shops yet. I know my limits and definitely won't be doing anything stupid on whatever I get. Main thing I'm interested in is not having to spend $40 a week (Mustang GT) on fuel all the time but still able to have some fun!

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2014, 05:06 AM
Welcome Crew

i would agree about a 600f to start a cheap one as said and if you do get in to trouble (heaven forbid you do) its not alot of money,try to get a few test rides to see what you think and best of luck

Old 03-28-2014, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum SG,

Being your height/weight a 600 may be too tight and the 1000 the way to go.

Having your experience on dirt will also translate readily to road riding - so as long as you remember 'it's all in the right wrist' and take it easy you should be right on the larger bike.

Whichever way you go - take it easy and be safe.

Cheers, SB

Old 03-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are a couple of great links for "dipping your toes"...

Used Motorcycle Evaluation Guide

So you want to ride a motorcycle?

Welcome to the forums, Ern

Old 03-29-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
Welcome to the CBR Forum SG,

Being your height/weight a 600 may be too tight and the 1000 the way to go.

Having your experience on dirt will also translate readily to road riding - so as long as you remember 'it's all in the right wrist' and take it easy you should be right on the larger bike.

Whichever way you go - take it easy and be safe.

Cheers, SB
Yeah I was thinking I would fit better on the bigger bike, too. I'm gonna go check out a couple bike shops on my day off and start seriously looking. I just don't want to jump into anything out of excitement haha. I want to find the right one! Thanks for the links, Hattr. I'll read through them right now.

If I do go used (which I most likely will) are the any specific things I should be looking for? And years to avoid or look at?

Thanks for all the help, guys. It's much appreciated!

Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF!

I'd strongly advise against a 1000rr. I get what it's like living in a flat area where you can ride all year around and most people have liter bikes, but a 600rr will more than give you the thrills you're looking for.

Your dirt experience will serve you well. But even then, the 600rr has more than enough top end to keep you entertained.

I'm close to your weight - and your height is negligible. The ergos of a race rep are going to be the same regardless of engine size. I'd find a friend with a 600 and see if he'll let you take it around the block for a bit. I think you'll be surprised with how quick it really is. I was.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:40 PM

Welcome to CBRF...