New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

2002 f4i hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2002 f4i hesitation

Hello friends,
I hope your day is going well. My name is Preston I am new to this forum and would like to say hello.

I have a 2002 cbr 600 f4i that i got from a friend that moved, i recently have been having issues with throttle hesitation on take off from a stop. I is random so whatever is causing the issue isn't completely broken yet just glitchy. while it hesitates is still idles perfectly and was wondering if anyone here has had this issues before and what you did to fix it. I'm pretty sure it is the throttle position sensor but like i said it is random and i can't just pull out my multimeter when it happens and test it, im sure you all know that feeling.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:40 AM
Welcome Crew

hi and welcome preston
if you go over to the f4i section to say hello and post your question, they are a helpful bunch and will help you out, and get some pics up of your bike

Old 03-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to CBRF! As wheelnut said, head over to the F4i section - they'll sort you out.

Old 03-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum Preston.

Are you getting the 8 flashes from the MIL light? (FI) That is the TPS error. When you notice the hesitation does the light flash? Being as its hooked into the ECM, it would flash if it was the TPS. How long have you had it? Have you done any maint. on it? Before you get into the guts, go ahead and pick yourself up some Lucas Fuel Injector/ Upper cylinder treatment and run it through your system. Go ahead and use a bit more than recommended. The small bottles are to treat up to 25 gallons. When I am cleaning I use a quarter bottle for about a full tank. It isnt going to hurt it if you use a bit more or less. THe stuff is good for the whole fuel delivery system.

Check your throttle cable though, there could be some slack on it. Also, you said it idles fine, what does it idle at? (RPM)

Would really like some background info before we start to diagnose the problem. How long you had the bike, any servicing you have done including but not limited to, oil changes, spark plugs and any general maint. you have done as well as any major work you know thats been done to it. Has it ever been dropped? Cheers.

-Poss

Last edited by PossibleOne; 03-21-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:53 PM

thanks for the welcoming, sorry i've not gotten back sooner i've been packing and dealing with moving stuff lately. and thank you for your help.

I have no MIL flashes, no cable binding or slack, it idles around 750-800rpm.

service info: the ECM was replaced due to a misfire issue with a reader/preocessor in the computer, the valves are adjusted to spec, the bike was laid down over a year ago by the person i bought it from and the stater took the hit but has been replaced along with the rectifier.

it has been hesitating like this since i've had the bike but never put any thought into fixing it til it got worse and now it is getting worse. Maybe i'm gonna have to wait til its not moving anymore to be able to diagnose it fully.

i just put in some injector cleaner yesterday and will see if that helps straighten it up a bit.

Thank you once again

Old 03-28-2014, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome to the CBR Forum Preston,

Hope you got your answer from PossibleF4i but if not head over to the F4i section.

Enjoy your time on the forum

Cheers, SB

Old 03-30-2014, 06:51 AM

when I first got my bike i had a similar issue. turned out that my throttle grip was rubbing up againts the starter. just a thought. hope you get it sorted out.

also. shouldnt she be idling around 1300?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:41 PM

Welcome to CBRF...