F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Low RPM hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low RPM hesitation

between 2800 and 4k. Only when keeping a consistent speed. Not when excellerating or decellerating. I know a lot of you will tell me to keep in a higher rpm, but I'm a newb and still getting used to all the power. I don't think it hurts it to cruise that low of RPM. It's nice to get good fuel mileage too!
I was thinking about trying some fuel injector cleener. I run 93 already. How high of octane can these engines handle?

Thanks!

Oh, bike is an 01 with 4000 miles and an erion exhaust. I've done some searching and come up with getting the cpu re mapped, but I've riden 500 or so miles until this started happening.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Default RE: Low RPM hesitation

your "lugging" the engine.its not good for your engine.

you do need to keep it in a higher rpm unless your in a parking lot. you should still be fine at 4-6k rpm.

fuel injector cleaner if you want, but I dont think it will make a difference, but it shouldnt hurt it either.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 PM

So it's fine when Im in a parking lot at low speed, low RPM, and little throttle. I know what it feels like when you try to accelerate at to low of RPM. I haven't done it on a bike yet. I know these engines are designed to run at high RPM, but as long as I'm not WOT or even half throttle in low RPM I don't see how the engine could be working hard enough to hurt itself.
I'm new and could be wrong though.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:04 PM

just a weak part of the powerband...use lower gears when you cruise then...and as stated, "lugging" the engine does do more harm than good to an engine...but were talking about constant lugging over a span of a constant reoccurance (e.g. starting at a near stand still in second gear with a car)...puts a lot more stress on the motor/drivetrain...

unless if you need to do maintanence...basic maintanence such as filter, oil, plugs, adjusting throttle cable, and lubing/tightening the chain does wonders...with the speeds and nature of your riding that you described, you dont have to worry about remapping the air/fuel any time soon...because the only advantage you will gain from remapping it will only be smoothing out the "jerkiness" of first gear... (no offense to your riding habits or skill; just pointing out)

Old 04-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're holding the throttle constant it should not be shaky... that can imply injector cleaner... i.e. it should be smooth. If you're trying to get torque at low rpm from a 600cc inline-4 though then... don't expect much!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: ampfp

If you're holding the throttle constant it should not be shaky... that can imply injector cleaner... i.e. it should be smooth. If you're trying to get torque at low rpm from a 600cc inline-4 though then... don't expect much!

Thanks. I will definitely get some injector cleaner. And I understand that I won't be getting torque at low RPM. I'm very reasonable with the throttle when at low RPM.
I've done some more searching and have found that some wait til 12000 miles before replacing the air filter and some say 5000 miles. What do you think?
I heard seafoam is good in the gas tank, but they didn't say what it does? I know it's a cleaner, but what does it help I mean?

Old 05-02-2008, 12:44 AM

New battery came today, no more hesitation. I'm guessing that it was so dead that the hesitation was the bike wanting to die.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: kneepuck oo envy

unless if you need to do maintanence...
ORIGINAL: Wants a CBR

New battery came today, no more hesitation. I'm guessing that it was so dead that the hesitation was the bike wanting to die.
damn, i should have been the first to tell you that...i knew your situation sounded familiar because the exact same thing happened to me, but mine totally died while in motion...haha...