F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike parts Slang/Jargon

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike parts Slang/Jargon

Girlfriend f*d up the bike and repair shop says i need upper cowel(upper front fairing?), headlight, and Bird Cage? Im assuming from the sounds of it this bird cage holds the headlight and upper fairing/cowel to the front of the bike.

I need to know what the correct term for this bird cage is so I can look for parts, this is an 01 f4i.

She also bent both wheels, both tires now need to be replaced, both lower fairings and front fender also need replacing. I can only imagine what the bike now looks like....

Thanks in advance guys

Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike parts Slang/Jargon

Sorry about the f'd up bike man, I don't know the answer but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will answer your question soon ... I wouldn't call it a bird cage .. makes me think of a ghey comedy .. lol

Old 04-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

I'd give my girl a black eye if she did all that to my bike =p

Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 PM

She took it to a shop already so I refuse to look at it but the story doesnt make sense, you cant be moving slowly for a bike to go over a curb bending both wheels and the only reason the bike comes to a hault is because it ran into one of those aluminum street sign poles. but whatev, she paid for the bike and she will fix it.

Just when the bike arrives home I wanna have the parts to repair it. But on the list from the repair shop I have no idea what the hell a BIRD CAGE is.

Also whats an inner or V fairing? where does that go? I dont know squat about bikes I normally let mechanics do this type of **** but this would be the time to learn

Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 PM

i assume you're right, but in my country, bird cages are called the italian bike frames built from thinner pipes instead of thick aluminium profile.
inner V fairing could be the plastic part that is right between the radiator adn the front wheel.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:02 PM

could the birdcage be the headers?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 PM

The way I was lead to understand this is that this BIRD CAGE holds the upper front fairing and headlight assembly together and mounts it to the bike?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 PM

Before you go off buying stuff i would get the bike back yourself and check it out. Bending both rims by going over a curb slowly seems extreme, and those can be big dollar items. If she hit hard enough i could see the tires needing replacement as well, but at that point i think we would all be asking if your girlfriend was OK. As to the birdcage term: i have no idea.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 PM

bike is at the local repair shop, they have inspected and removed the entire front end.

At first they deemed it a total write off and told my girlfriend they would give her $1200 for the bike. as they said wheels are $800 a pop from honda plus both tires. They also said front forks could be bent, frame etc.

Like any rational person I said I'll pay the extra 3hours labour it will take for you to do a thorough inspection and not an eyeball estimate. After completing the inspection today. News is that most damage is cosmetic, although they claim they cannot tell if the fram is bent until we deliver them a new front wheel to put on the alignment machine. I bought a rear wheel and tire last night for $100. so they will install that when they have time to get back to the bike(as you know bike season is insane and those who sleep get slept on). Anyways, what is remaining on necessary parts list is UPPER COWL, HEADLIGHT, FRONT WHEEL/TIRE, and this BIRD CAGE

Old 04-30-2008, 09:28 PM

It sounds to me like you are talking about the front stay. I dont know where the word birdcage comes from but from your description thats what it sounds like. Its the metal peice that holds the speedo and the head set. And the v fairing sounds like the peice that goes between the side fairings right behind the front wheel. Hope I helped.

Quick Reply: Bike parts Slang/Jargon