F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

New F4i owner, advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New F4i owner, advice appreciated!

Hey everyone... I just got my first Honda! It's a 2002 600 F4i, still *Bone Stock*. I had a 96 ZX6-R for 2 weeks last summer before it was hit by a bus (it was parked and my insurance covered it without any issues ).

I'm extremely cautious when it comes to this one though. It only has 994 miles on it and it's completely flawless except for 1 minor scratch smaller than an ant on the tank. It's never been laid down or dropped and has never had any engine malfunctions. Ibought the bike a month ago from a family friend who I'd trust with my life and he didn't even ride it for the past year since getting a 03 Porsche Twin Turbo with x50 package.

INCOMING NOOB QUESTIONS

-I read the manual and I think the average oil change is every 8,000 miles or so, but I just bought some GN4 oil and a filter for it, but since it only has 1k miles, should I worry about it? I'm not positive if it has even been changed since the bike came off the showroom floor, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and change it, unless it's easier to take care of than a few cars I know [&:]

-In relation to above question, what about the coolant?

-How often do you guys change/flush the fluids/oil on average? Keep in mind, I want to keep this thing in tip top shape, not beat it up.

-Also the tires are still the stock Battlax's, what would be some good tires for the next step? And what is the average lifespan of tires (miles?)... I know it depends on how hard/aggressive you ride, but I'll be taking it slow at first. I heard about 3000 miles for a rear and about 4000 miles for a front?

I've checked both fluid levels and both are within norms. Like I said, this thing is pristine! I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it... basically a brand new bike without the price tag.

I grew up on a Honda 400EX quad and Yamaha YZ125 so I know the basics of riding, and I didmost maintenance on those, except for majorwork.Even though it's street, I'm still humble to the powers that be. So I'm not completely in the dark.

Any help/suggestions for a new owner and community member would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/15768/6E269F011630432E9E2D097AED8BF826.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Default RE: New F4i owner, advice appreciated!

Hey their, I'll try to help you out. Yes I would change oil if not sure if it has ever been changed. Then you can keep track from their. I change probly too often at 4000, cheap insurance. Tires, I would run these ones out. Then change to piolet power 2ct. Just my 2cents. Coolant is probly ok. Maybe stop by the honda shop and ask them to check it. You will get lots of opinions around here. Just go with the most consistant ones.Have fun

Old 04-20-2007, 02:11 AM

Thanks Tyler

You have any idea on the tire life?

Old 04-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tire life is around 4000 to 5000 miles. no need to run 2CT unless you're running the track. just regular pilot powers, dunlop qualifiers, or pirelli diablos is more than enough stick for the streets, even running hard and dragging knee in your local twisties. now if you have horrible lines and are not smooth in your turning, but rather jerky, etc...then sticker tires will be good...but the point is not to ride like that cause you'll look hack. don't ever depend on equipment to compensate for inadequacies in rider skill. this is why any motogp rider can outride the average joe on a 250 and touring tires.

coolant, should change out every season 2 two, depending on how much riding you do...i do many times per year cause i'm crazy like that....but i run water/water wetter for the track.

oil change every 4K...with GN4 is fine. if you conventional motor oil like valvoline 10-40, change out at 2700 or so (based on blackstone lab results from a fellow rider). but if you hit the track, change it out after. you can change filter every other oil change, or every one if you like.

bleed brakes 2x per year. will prevent pistons from sticking.

change fork oil every 1-2 years or 10K miles.

clean and lube chain every 500 miles. lube every 250 miles or if you see that you don't have good coverage anymore.

is there anything else? hmmm...air filter...just check it...8K or so...plugs around 12K...valve adjustment at 16K...

gear up...have fun!

and...CONGRATS!

Old 04-21-2007, 01:51 AM

dude dont worry hondas last forever. you only got 900 miles you dont need to worry for like another 8000 or so haha

Old 04-21-2007, 04:36 AM

It might help you to buy a manual for the 02 f4i. Haynes makes a great one.