F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Retrofit Project: advice appreciated!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit Project: advice appreciated!

So I'm starting to order parts to retrofit my 05 f4i and ive got a few questions about how to go about this. First off, ill start with the parts i plan on using:

Projectors: cheap 2.5 mini's should do the job
Bi Xenon 2 5" Mini Projector Lens Car Headlight HID H1 Shroud Xenon Retrofit Aut | eBay

HID:
Most likely i'll go with ddm tuning's 35watt kit.

Now here is my question, these projectors say they work for both hi/lo beam and use h1 bulbs.. I'm trying to figure out what exactly that means? Wouldnt i need to use an h4 HID kit in order to have a high/lo beam capability or am i just talking out of my ***

I would really like to have both projectors on at the same time and use the current high beam switch, just for that.. high beams on both projectors similar to that of a car.. i have seen hunters build but Im sort of a noob when it comes to this aspect of bikes/cars so any help would be great!

p.s. I will post pics of every step!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 PM

I don't know about the projectors but I'm running a DDM tuning 35w HID kit on my 01 f4i and I love it just the way it is without projectors. I mean you can choose what color level you want and they are super bright.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:49 PM
July 2008 ROTM

A bi-xenon projector uses a solenoid motor to move the shield (the piece that creates the cut-off line). It uses the same light source, just moves the part that cuts off the top of the light. Note this photo:

You could easily get both low / both high with projectors like that -- you just need to split your low and high beam signals since they're originally meant to go to only one bulb.

Frankly, I wouldn't buy cheap eBay products when it comes to projector retrofits, but that's your choice ("you get what you pay for" usually happens with stuff like that, but you luck out sometimes).

Last edited by Aken; 07-03-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Aken
A bi-xenon projector uses a solenoid motor to move the shield (the piece that creates the cut-off line). It uses the same light source, just moves the part that cuts off the top of the light. Note this photo:

You could easily get both low / both high with projectors like that -- you just need to split your low and high beam signals since they're originally meant to go to only one bulb.

Frankly, I wouldn't buy cheap eBay products when it comes to projector retrofits, but that's your choice ("you get what you pay for" usually happens with stuff like that, but you luck out sometimes).

that makes perfect sense, i just didnt think there was a big difference in projector quality.. but what about this:
Bi-xenon: Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 - HID Projectors from The Retrofit Source Inc

what would i need to make hi/lo projectors on both sides.. and h4 projector? i know the retrofit source also sells d2s projectors, would that work? And would it be difficult to make work since the f4i uses h7 bulbs?

thanks for the help guys

Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I'd recommend that website over anything eBay, personally. But like I said, it's up to you. IMO, if you're going to retrofit, do it right.

Stop thinking in terms of H4. An H4 bulb uses two different bulb filaments (two bulbs next to each other) for low and high. A bi-xenon projector uses one bulb, it just removes the cut-off part to show the entire light output. They are two different applications, the bi-xenon one being FAR superior.

To make dual high/low work, you just need to modify your wiring so that instead of one low beam and one high beam setup (stock), each side will split. So your single low will split into two lows, and single high split into two high. It's simple.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 AM

After debating it, im defiantely going with TRS' stuff.. just waiting a little longer to save up. In the mean time ill order my DDM kit today, any one have pics of 5k vs 6k?

Old 07-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Looks good dude, looking forward to see photos of your finished project.
The Gixxer on their site looks awesome: Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Old 07-10-2013, 10:32 AM

I did the retrofit in my 03 GSX-R last year, and now I can't recommend enough about doing it to all bikes that run the blinding HID's in reflector housings.

BTW, mine is 8k, white with a blue hue to it. Pictures are no indication of real color. 5k will be a yellowish white, where a 6k will be a bright white, with maybe a slight hue of blue.

Name:  IMG_0178.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  44.9 KB

Last edited by Spook155; 07-10-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 PM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by Spook155
5k will be a yellowish white, where a 6k will be a bright white, with maybe a slight hue of blue.
No; 3000k is yellow. 4300k is the brightest white, and what OEM HIDs use. 5000k will be close to "pure" white, with a tiny hint of blue. Anything above that will start to get more blue tint -- the higher the kelvin, the more blue.

IMO, anything above 5k is useless. I get that people like the blue color, but at some point you sacrifice actual light output for color. If you want to look like a high end car, stick with 4300k or 5000k. (You'll notice that TRS doesn't even sell colors higher than 6000k, for good reason.)