New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Good basic helmet suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Had to return mine

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
Glasses work fine with a full face, but some glasses are a struggle. I stay away from metal frames

Any helmet should be safe, so long as it's certified and fits well. I've found that the biggest difference between cheap and expensive helmets is the weight. Some expensive helmets also ventilate better, and cool turtle graphics cost money too. If you've got a funny shaped head you might need to try on a few to find the right one. You're right it should be tight but shouldn't pinch or create pressure points

My first helmet was a plain black HJC fullface on the cheap end. Worked fine, and I survived my first spill, so she did her job. Replaced it with an icon alliance, and it was stuffy but the price was right and it fit really well. Brutal in the heat though. Currently I'm on my second Bell Rogue 1/2 shell on the goldwing, and I wear the AGV Rossi replica when I'm on the CBR. I bought it for looks but it's actually got really nice aero too, and quieter than the others. Plus built-in flip down sun visor underneath the main windscreen. On the heavy end, especially compared to the Bell, but less bulky padding. It was about $350 CAD
Now I am confused. I had to return my HJC because it was a size too large but my glasses would not go in with the visor open. Too tight at the temples. Fullface. Now I don't know what to get. I am also hearing that there is a fogging issue. Some are saying I need a modular. But I don't understand why a modular would be less tight at the temples unless the helmet is too large.

Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't really think it needs to be this complicated...

You should go to a brick and mortar. Bring your glasses. Tell them you're new. They'll be able to fit you, and find one in your budget. Reward the salesman by giving him the sale. Once you know a bit about the various lids, then you can go ahead and save a few bucks online next time

I only ever notice fogging in the rain or on crisp mornings, and it goes away if I crack the visor

Old 09-26-2018, 05:47 PM

I think you are right. I am just so used to buying online. But for this I better go to a motorcycle shop. Thanks.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Freon
I better go to a motorcycle shop.
I wouldn't do it any other way.

Old 10-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my Scorpion R410 and read the reviews that specifically stated that it fit well with glasses. It did not disappoint. I have a flex frame on my glasses that really helps too. Since motorcycle shops around here are a couple hours away...I had to rely on reviews and purchase from online places that had a decent return policy if I had to make an exchange. So read the reviews on the helmet of choice...yes plural of reviews before you buy on line. Store try on is always best if you can do it reasonably.
I used denniskirk.com since they do free returns on helmets.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
I don't really think it needs to be this complicated...

You should go to a brick and mortar. Bring your glasses. Tell them you're new. They'll be able to fit you, and find one in your budget. Reward the salesman by giving him the sale. Once you know a bit about the various lids, then you can go ahead and save a few bucks online next time

I only ever notice fogging in the rain or on crisp mornings, and it goes away if I crack the visor
You are right. That is what I did. I was hoping to spend less than $200 but none of the helmets, solid or modular, would accept glasses. The arms will not sit in your ears. The sales kid had me try on the Shoei RF1200, which had recess for glasses. The Arai was more expensive but did not. He also told me modular is for cruisers and I have the CBR1000RR. And it was much lighter than the other helmets. It has anti fog up the kid said. Total: $540. Ouch. Anyway, I can't wait to try it out. It feels like a jumbo egg on my head. I don't know.