F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Do I really need a new helmet now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really need a new helmet now?

Long story short, I couldnt slow up for a turn and I hit the bank and got launched about 70 feet in to the other side of the bank around the turn. My head and shoulder hit first. Theres is the smallest two scratches(on the clear coat) on my helmet. Do I need a new helmet, it is only about a year old(helmet). It looks ok, but I know that isn't everything. Obviously people are going to say buy a new one, but a $140 is not chump change, and the you can't put a price on your life cleshay isnt what I am looking for. How much can a helmet take, at least the newer ones? Oh yea, I didnt even break my shield, maybe my shoulde, but that is healed

Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Default RE: Do I really need a new helmet now?

It is not how much a helmet can take it is the fact that the helmets are designed to take one and only one blow. The way a helmet works is there is basically styrofoam under your liner and when the helmet stops and your head keeps moving (IE an impact like yours), the stryofoam is what absorbs the impact and "Slowly" brings your head to a stop. it is not the hard shell of the helmet that really protects you, it is the ability of the helmet to absorb the impact in a manner that is similar to an Air-Bag. Your helmet is done my friend, sorry to say, but get another one. Go check out Scorpion EXO-400 helmets, you can get them on sale for 89.99 and the are of a very nice quality.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:28 PM

Not even a question, get another helmet. You cannot see the impact a helmet has absorbed from the outside or even the inside. The compressible material is what saves your life and your brain and once it's taken a blow, you MUST get a new one.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM

yo man that sucks. i would defiantly get another helmet. HJC are really nice look cool and the new model they have out is about $80.00 my friend got one im going to get one when the new season starts

there model CS-R1

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

Old 02-19-2008, 08:07 PM

agreed... get a new one. if you have taken the msf course they should have told you that even if you drop your helmet from arm's/shoulder's height that you should not wear it anymore and should get a new one. helmets take a certain amount of damage and depending on what kind/brand of helmet it is, sometimes the shock is absorbed around the whole helmet (mostly shoei) instead of just that one particular area that had contact.

i know that you dont wanna hear that cliche of putting a price on your life but seriously that's what it comes down to. riding a bike costs you (money, risk, etc)... should have thought about that before buying a bike

Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 PM

YES. It's done. Look for closeouts either locally or online and save some $. New enough, knee draggers, and the like have great closeout prices. Just make sure you know your size in helmet (go to a local shop and try some on for sizing).

Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 PM

Depending on the type of helmet you have ( I think) ...
I think you can send it to your manufacture and have them re-condition it.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:52 PM

for sure dude get another helmet a scorpion exo 400 is a good choice but remember its your life out there and i strongly did i say stronly recommend in my humble but extremely well researched opininon,,,,,,,,,,buy a shark rsx or rsi for the money not to say its the best in the world but safety and looks for under 300 is awesome........look on motonekoparts.com...............go get one i did rsx flag to be exact......you cant go wrong it has a 3mm shield and is based on f1 good luck and no squids

Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 PM

Man, the thing probably saved your life! What more do you want from it?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:12 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

You only get one head.. how much is it worth to you?

Quick Reply: Do I really need a new helmet now?