New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Good basic helmet suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 05:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Good basic helmet suggestion

I got the HJC helmet. I discovered that it is impossible to put my glasses on with the helmet on because the foam presses the side of my head. Is there a helmet that has space for glasses?

Old 09-23-2018, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

I have a HJC modular and it works well with my glasses. For me, its a pain to slide on a full face helmet while wearing glasses. Using a modular one fixes that.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:52 PM

The problem I had with my HJC was that the visor was big enough for the glasses to go through. But the foam presses so hard on the temples that I could not run the arms of the glasses in. And the helmet was too big and I had to return it. I can't understand why they don't just make a groove along the temples for glasses.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:06 PM

Can you give me a model number? I am looking at the HJC 980-615 modular helmet.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator
Old 09-23-2018, 06:29 PM

OK. Thanks. That looks good and I won't have to take out a mortgage. I can't understand why some of these helmets cost over a thousand. I think I get it. Since it opens, you can slide the helmet over your glasses.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

I actually put on the helmet, raise the front part then slide on my glasses before lowering the front.
Some helmets are pretty pricey for sure. Some may be worth it, but I don't know why. There's some out there that have a HUD built into them. I may pony up for that.

Old 09-25-2018, 08:55 PM

But what I don't understand is that I am reading that a helmet must be really snug in order to be safe. Why then does a modular helmet provide room for glasses but a full face does not? Is there more room in the temple area?

Old 09-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

no. a modular helmet simply allows you to slide your glasses on, the way you like after you've put on the helmet.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Glasses work fine with a full face, but some glasses are a struggle. I stay away from metal frames

Any helmet should be safe, so long as it's certified and fits well. I've found that the biggest difference between cheap and expensive helmets is the weight. Some expensive helmets also ventilate better, and cool turtle graphics cost money too. If you've got a funny shaped head you might need to try on a few to find the right one. You're right it should be tight but shouldn't pinch or create pressure points

My first helmet was a plain black HJC fullface on the cheap end. Worked fine, and I survived my first spill, so she did her job. Replaced it with an icon alliance, and it was stuffy but the price was right and it fit really well. Brutal in the heat though. Currently I'm on my second Bell Rogue 1/2 shell on the goldwing, and I wear the AGV Rossi replica when I'm on the CBR. I bought it for looks but it's actually got really nice aero too, and quieter than the others. Plus built-in flip down sun visor underneath the main windscreen. On the heavy end, especially compared to the Bell, but less bulky padding. It was about $350 CAD

Quick Reply: Good basic helmet suggestion