New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

Advice for newbie CBR Sports Bike Riders

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2021, 08:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jinjaninja
Oui Highway to Hell,

yes of course keeping the mileage down and also searching on e bay could be a source of parts but a Honda should go forever if it's regularly serviced I'm sure!!

My first big bike in 2005 was named after a town in France!! It was called the Honda Deauville !! Deauville is apparently where pure bred horses are raced!! - but this bike was previously called the NTV - a shaft drive naked bike which was popular with couriers as the engine would go forever. It was a 650cc v-twin and they are still selling these 2nd hand bikes today!! Not really designed for speed, more designed long miles and touring at a 'gentle' speed.

It's a heavy bike, too heavy for me. I'll never forget the first day i rode it home, i stalled it and dropped it just one hour after leaving the show room!! I dropped it the next day on the other side - then dropped it the 3rd day. After getting my clutch control back, i stopped dropping it, but by then both sides had been badly scratched and my ego was also badly bruised.

The dealership should never have sold me this bike as i'm not tall and can only reach the ground on tip toes - this bike weighs in at approx 240 kilos!! The dealership SHOULD HAVE sold me the Honda Hornet 600 and at least if i had stalled it i would have been able to keep the bike upright.
However, I learned the hard way what not to buy in future.

Since then I have stuck with bikes of 600cc or less and of course, have never dropped them. So for me the cbr650r is the slipper that fits! Triumph of course make the street tripple 750 which is even lighter than the cbr!! However I decided to stick with Honda Reliability and really am not tempted by any other bike.
Honda NTV , yes i remind it , the NTV 650 Deauville i suppose you bought it second hand although i don't know when you bought it but it was made from 1998 to 2006 , replacing the NTV Revere 650 made from 1988 to 1998 , whereas the 600 Hornet was made from 1998 to 2014 ; both started to be produced when the NTV Revere went out of production !
So, yes, for sure he should have sold you an Hornet 600 !
Your firts bike , the NTV , at least , the previous model, the NTV 650 Revere naked Road bike makes me remember my first bike which also was a big Twin like that , same type of Road naked bike , the Suzuki VX800 ; which was also about 240 kgs with all liquids ( 237 kg i think it sas exactly ) !
It was my first big bike but i crashed it coming back from a party in the morning at sunrise on the motorway , because i had certainly partied too much ! Lol
Fortunately , i only really burnt my right leg sliding on the road ( my blue jean was torned ) , my leather jacket was well shredded from,the slip but had protected me ( that's where you see the difference of protection between blue jeans and leather when sliding during a motorcycle crash !) and my handlebar was totaly twisted , with the bike in bad shape !
I don't know how but i managed to ride home on the few dozens of km that i had to ride to go home and directly went in bed , putting some bloods on all the sheets with my leg and then when i woke up , went to the hospital !
Lesson learnt , after that i never drank alcohol anymore like that before riding my bike ( there is prescription, it was more than 25 years ago ! Lol ).
After that , i bought the 600 Bandit Suzuki that had just been released in 1995 , that i really liked as my second big bike ( much better than the VX800 and at that time in France , when you just had your driving licence , your bike was not bridled / limited for two years at 34 hp , like it is now for a few years , so i had the regular full 74hp !).

Honda NTV 650 Deauville and Suzuki VX800 :
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...vf750sc-advice

Last edited by Highway to Hell; 10-13-2021 at 04:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jinjaninja (10-09-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 02:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Oui Oui Monsieur 'Highway to Hell'

bien sur, one must not drink quantities of bier blonde and ride motorcycles!! - unless you are in the beautiful French countryside of Picardie where you may have a soft landing in a field of Pommes de terre

I personally would prefer to drink Hippocras - a fine wine I first experienced in 2003 aux Fete Follville (le moyen age), Picardie. It goes nice with French bread and fromage de chevre

Salute!