Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

I Test Rode the Buell 1125R today

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Test Rode the Buell 1125R today

I had a couple of hours to kill today with nothing to do so I decided to go to the Harley Davidson shop and check out the Buell 1125R. I have been interested in it since I read about it on the Internet a couple of years ago. I have ridden a couple of Buells in the past and was never impressed with the power. They are very comfortable but not that quick. This one is supposed to be way more powerful though.
I rode in on my bike and noticed one was on display outside. At first glance it is a sexy bike. I through my leg over it and found it to be a very comfortable bike. As I was checking the bike out a salesmen approached and told me that I could start it if I wanted to. I was very excited to hear how it sounded and VERY disappointed when I fired it up. It rattles, tics, and thumps. I actually asked him if something was wrong with it. He said "nope. that's just the way they sound." I was about a half a second away from shutting the bike off and never looking at a Buell again when he asked me if I wanted to test ride it. How could I refuse? I singed a waver, gave him a copy of my DL, made sure I wasn't responsible if it broke down because of the way it sounded, and I was off. I told the salesmen I was going to be gone about an hour and he was OK with it.
I pulled out of the parking lot and as soon as the engine was at 2000rpm it sounded great. Like the other Buells I have ridden the low end torque was very apparent as soon as you gave it some gas. I rode it through town and took it easy to get a feel for the bike. I then got it on the HWY and prepared myself for disappointment. I was cruising at about 55mph when I dropped it into third and gently rolled on the throttle. OMFG!!! The bike lunged forward and the front tire immediately pulled off the ground! I didn't load the shocks or slip the clutch. It was sheer torque at 5000rpm that pulled the tire up. Here is the best part, I didn't even have the throttle pinned. I had plenty to go but was afraid of what might happen if I pinned it. To be honest (and this is not an easy thing to admit) it scared me at first. I did pin the throttle at about 55mph in fourth gear and the tire came up again. There was no waiting to hit 9000rpm to feel the power come on strong. This thing had it at 2500rpm as well as 9000rpm. The throttle response was amazing and this bike was stupid fast. This bike was easily one of the fastest bikes I have ever ridden. Even the R1 I rode did not feel like this thing. I am not saying it is quicker then the R1, but it certainly felt like it because of the monster torque. This bike is a completely different animal then what most people who ride sportbikes are use to. I did rip through the gears to a little over 100mph and the only two things that limited the bikes acceleration was a) my nerves and b)traction. Even though the bike only has a 10500 redline, it had no problem hitting 60mph (indicated) in first gear.

On the way back to the Harley shop I took a windy back road to see how she felt in the corners. This has always been something that I liked about Buells and this bike was no different. It was very comfortable to me and instilled an instant since of trust in the bike. I also shifted less because this monster pulled hard at any RPM.

Overall, I LOVED this bike. I hate the way it sounds when warming up and the engine rumbles which is something I am not used to, but all that nitpicking goes away as soon as you roll the throttle. I walked in the Harley shop with average expectations and I left with my jaw dropped. I highly recommend that everybody takes a ride on this bike. You may hate it or you may love it, but you have to try this monster! It really is unbelievable!!

When I got back on my bike and took off it felt broke...actually it felt like a 25cc scooter. :'(

Specs and pics:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/buell/Buell%201125r.htm

Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 AM

Trader!! lol

Old 04-30-2009, 04:32 AM

Trader!! lol
Not true. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a bike I would probably go a different rout. However, this is a huge step forward for Buell and I can't wait to see what comes out of it in the years to come.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is the first decent Buell ever.. The fact that it is a Rotax (BRP) engine is what makes the difference. Aprilia and BMW have both also used BRP-Rotax designed engines as well in their bikes. I prefer the way the Cafe model looks. I'm not a fan of the headlight and hammer-head fairing on the 1125R.

Nice bikes otherwise! I would never buy a Buell with a Harley motor in it.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:20 AM

This bike will be raced in Alaska this year. I have every intention of going to see it race!!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:22 AM

Did I mention that this thing is stupid fast!! The owner seems very confident in himself and his bike!

Old 07-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does it compare to say an RC51? Have you ever got on one of those sexy machines?

Old 08-09-2009, 05:34 PM

I've ridden both the 1125R and an RC51 this year.

The biggest difference between the two is the weight distribution and the riding position. The RC51 has the cramped handlebars that will smack your wrists against the tank when doing tight, low-speed turns. Not much of a problem on the track, but a pain in the butt around town and parking lots.

The Buell felt lighter, as the weight is spread out through the frame. The RC51 felt like a big heavy rocket, with some handlebars stuck on it. Both will crack you back if you crack the throttle. I had no problem bringing up the front end on both of them. I'm in love with the torque. Then I go back to an I-4, and have no power in the low rpm's.

I passed on buying the RC51 because.. well.. I've got kids.. and if I had a race-style bike like that, I'd do something stupid. I'm considering a Honda Superhawk for my next bike. Same style v-twin, but a little less track specific.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM

I should go test ride one, they do have me curious.

-Chad

Old 08-25-2009, 12:50 PM

that the best looking buell I'v seen so far.

Quick Reply: I Test Rode the Buell 1125R today