F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

My Riding Progress Report:

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Riding Progress Report:

[color="#ff0066"][font="tahoma"][size="2"] Hi everyone! Just thought I would post a progress report of my bike riding experience!
My wonderful husband recently bought me my first bike! It's a 2001 CBR600 F4i! I have
never driven a motorcycle of any kind. I ride behind him on his VFR800, and I know how
to drive the thing in my head. BUT driving in my head and driving in reality are two very
different things!

Riding Lesson #1:

Today when my husband got home from work, we immediatly pulled the bikes out to the rd.
He began explaining basic things about the bike and showing me where everything was. He
wanted me to learn on his VFR but I was determined to hop on my bike and go! LoL.... Well,
I kept stalling the damn thing... My clutch hand was moving faster than my throttle hand.
So, I ended up on his bike. I was really bummed out about it, but I really want to learn so I
tried on the other bike. What do ya know? I hopped on and first time I was on my way up
the street. We are kinda limited on space and we have two children as well. So I guess I
went about 250ft. Our neighborhood has kids all over the place so keep in mind I haven't
gotten out of first gear yet. I rode back and forthe just getting the feel of the bike. I think
lesson 1 went very well! I am just so proud that I was actually able to drive the thing. I went
inside with a smile on my face, ready for the next ride!

Riding Lesson #2:

So today we decided I would practice turning and going around curves at low speed of course!
I hopped on the VFR and it took me like 3 times to get going! I was so mad at myself, I did fine
the day before. My hubby thought I was aggravated at him, bc he was trying to refresh me on
what to do. I did snap at him, but I KNEW what I was supposed to do, I just couldn't get going
for a second. Once I got going I did fine the rest of the time! Not stalling that is..... Michael my
husband was on my bike and I was following him. There is a sharper curve right passed my house.
He went around it and I followed him no problem. I was smiling ear to ear.... then he wanted me
to turn the bike around. The road we live on is kinda narrow and we were doing a sharp u turn. It
did not look that hard, so I went for it. I ended up in a neighbors yard on the ground! LoL... I hit
the gas a little too much and the bike kinda jumped on me. I let off the gas and hit the break
immediately... Well the bike started leaning and I tried so hard to hold it up but we just kept falling.
I threw myslef away from the bike. Neither of us were hurt. We fell in the grass! Michael shook is head
and helped us up. We went to start back around the curve but the CBR was dead. The battery is old
we gotta get a new one soon. I drove the VFR back to the house and he pushed the CBR. That was
the end of lesson two. I hate I dropped the bike and fell off, but I think I am learning and dooing quite
well for someone who has never been around bikes before.

Lesson #3

Today my husband and I didn't have the boys with us so we went outside the neighborhood. It's like a
horseshoe type deal. I rode for a bit winding through the reflectors on the road. I even went around the
curves fine. Mike wanted me to try to turn the bike again and we both fell AGAIN! This time on the road.
I get the concept of turning but I keep messing up. The bike fell on my leg. I have a pretty bruise now.
I hate I scratched the VFR. I think we are gonna go get a little 5 or something that I can learn on and
get a feel for what I should do. I just refuse to keep messing up the bikes. HOWEVER..... I did ride the
CBR today! I just wanted to see if I could get her going and I did first time no problem! It felt so good to
know I could handle MY bike! We are going tomorrow to look for a learning bike. I am catching on real well
I think but I feel I'll be more comfortable learning on soemthing l

Old 02-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Default RE: My Riding Progress Report:

Good job being persistent lol. Sharp narrow U turns can be a pain, just got to be smooth and keep your head up, don't look at the ground unless that's where you want to end up lol. And in mid turn, try and keep from mashing the brake. If you have to, try and walk it out the first few times just to work your way up to it. Good to hear you're enjoying it though, reminds me of when I first started lol =P

Old 02-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yikes...be careful, 600s are a bit big to learn from, especially if the hand clutch thing is new to you. make sure you wear full gear...including riding pants, jacket, noggin and gloves!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:05 AM

also depending on where you are, try to find a MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course - they are EXCELLENT for beginners (and advanced riders too). My friends did the same thing your hubby is doing, we did some back and forth riding in a parking lot, but it was the MSF that really taught me the basics and it's only a weekend long. Everybody here will agree with me, find a MSF and take the course. Your hubby could take it too, just as a refresher for the basics, as we all learn bad habits on our own...

Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 AM

Hi....You are doing great keep it up...yeah turns are a pain but keep at it you will learn. Don't worry about damaging the bike, you can always have it repaired....You are more important that the bike. My suggestion is get frame sliders, they are cheaper than getting a new plastic.

My advice is when you do get out into traffic, keep your distance from the car (bike) in front of you. This will help you in a number of ways: you have more distance to brake if you need it, you can avoid anypotholes etc that might be hidden by the car in front of you.

But the best reason is that oncoming traffic will see you(you won't be hidden by the car in front of you). Sounds simple.

Also watch out for people making left turns in front of you.

Don't stay in the middle of the lane. Move from side to side in your lane over time.(traffic permitting of course)

What I mean is if you are approaching someone who is making a left turn in front of you, make sure they see you...by moving your bike.....If you feel that person hasn't seen you, its ok to beep your horn to get their attention.

Safety is no accident.

Good luck...

Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 AM

ORIGINAL: slip_

Good job being persistent lol. Sharp narrow U turns can be a pain, just got to be smooth and keep your head up, don't look at the ground unless that's where you want to end up lol. And in mid turn, try and keep from mashing the brake. If you have to, try and walk it out the first few times just to work your way up to it. Good to hear you're enjoying it though, reminds me of when I first started lol =P

Thanks Slip! I know I can do this, it may just take me a little while! LoL

Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

yikes...be careful, 600s are a bit big to learn from, especially if the hand clutch thing is new to you. make sure you wear full gear...including riding pants, jacket, noggin and gloves!
I wear my helmet, jacket, and gloves everytime. I don't have pants yet, but have ordered some. I have been wearing jeans! As I said in my post I think we have decided to get me a smaller bike to learn on. I am sure it'll be a piece of **** but hey I want to ride the F4i!! Thanks for your concern!!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:39 AM

ORIGINAL: kiker14

also depending on where you are, try to find a MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course - they are EXCELLENT for beginners (and advanced riders too). My friends did the same thing your hubby is doing, we did some back and forth riding in a parking lot, but it was the MSF that really taught me the basics and it's only a weekend long. Everybody here will agree with me, find a MSF and take the course. Your hubby could take it too, just as a refresher for the basics, as we all learn bad habits on our own...
Thank you Kiker for reminding me about the MSF! There is a Harley dealership here who offers the course a few times a month! I want to do that for sure! Now that I know how to get going I think I could do it!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: waterbrat

Hi....You are doing great keep it up...yeah turns are a pain but keep at it you will learn. Don't worry about damaging the bike, you can always have it repaired....You are more important that the bike. My suggestion is get frame sliders, they are cheaper than getting a new plastic.

My advice is when you do get out into traffic, keep your distance from the car (bike) in front of you. This will help you in a number of ways: you have more distance to brake if you need it, you can avoid anypotholes etc that might be hidden by the car in front of you.

But the best reason is that oncoming traffic will see you(you won't be hidden by the car in front of you). Sounds simple.

Also watch out for people making left turns in front of you.

Don't stay in the middle of the lane. Move from side to side in your lane over time.(traffic permitting of course)

What I mean is if you are approaching someone who is making a left turn in front of you, make sure they see you...by moving your bike.....If you feel that person hasn't seen you, its ok to beep your horn to get their attention.

Safety is no accident.

Good luck...

Thank you Thank you Thank you!! Very good advice about moving the bike to make sure others see you! Makes sense! I may wait a little bit before getting into traffic! I want to know that I know I am good with my bike. Ya know? Each time gets a little better for me! Thanks again!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey a smaller bike doesn't have to be a POS! check this out! this is what i will get for my wife if/when/however money comes rolling in...also a great commuter!

Quick Reply: My Riding Progress Report: